Pet Cruise

I am wondering if they had an actual cruise where a family could bring their pets ,how would it go over/ I am thinking HUGE!

1. Tips for cleaning up after kitty or doggy

2. Tips for treats

etc etc..

Can you just imagine the things that may occur on the cruise

Hi Folgy,

I would have to skip that cruise... I love dogs and cats, but am very allergic to them! BTW, do animals get sea sick? Just curious if vets have anything to give animals like Dramamine...

I bet a lot of people would actually sign up for a cruise like that. I know that it's hard- both emotionally and financially- to leave pets home on a vacation...

Just as long as the dogs don't push all of the buttons in the elevators and the cats don't change "please don't disturb signs" to "please make up room now"... ;)

What a great idea, Folgy! I would love to bring my little Chihuahua with us on our cruise! She wouldn't take up much room, eats very little, and makes very tiny messes...:D She sits on my lap while I'm on my computer. She's also a big Cruise Critic fan! :D And maybe just a little spoiled, too. ;)

I would like to take my pet dog (chihuhua/rat terrier mix) on a cruise with me. She's a very good dog except she's not the most sociable around other dogs which could be a problem. She loves to bark at big dogs so she might get put off at the first port:eek: .

There was a man on a cruise we took this year who was "blind" and had the nicest dog with him. Except he sure seemed to get around well...at times it looked more like he was leading the dog instead of the dog leading him. Everyone loved petting and talking to his dog. There was a "special place" set up on the ship for his "bathroom visits".

Anyone going on the Serenade to Alaska Sept 5, please go to this link to the Meet and Mingle:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=1522591#post1522591

Please I don't know which would be worse crying babies or barking dogs. I love animals and children but not on a cruise. I know I'm gonna be blasted but that's okay everyone to their own opnion.

just spatz

I would definately go! Leaving my Golden Retriever, Rusty, was the HARDEST part about cruising.

It would be a little more complicated than we think, though. What would they wear on formal night? Would just a bow tie be enough? We would have to have a poo poo park on the ship. Would there be a Camp Canine for them to visit while we are out snorkeling at the ports? Speaking of ports, would they need a passport in Barbados?

Please I don't know which would be worse crying babies or barking dogs. I love animals and children but not on a cruise. I know I'm gonna be blasted but that's okay everyone to their own opnion.

just spatz

You know I am just kidding on this thread. My poor Tommy cat would go mental on a cruise ship.I would never subject him to that. He has a routine at home.

1.food dish

2.water dish

3.sleep

4. litter box

5. repeat of above

I'm all for pets on a cruise, but I would have to add a different itinerary - instead of western or eastern it would be dogs or cats or other. I am highly allergic to cats but my shih-tzu would love it! And to whomever it was that asked about doggy dramamine... yes, our vet gave my dogs medicine for that purpose when we had to drive to our new home 9 hours away. They slept a lot of the trip. Now that we have all that settled, where do we sign up?

This makes formal wear, children, chair hogs and extra charge threads look silly. I love my pets but, let's face it, how would you control them on a ship? I have neighbors who think that the entire neighborhood should enjoy their cats and dogs. Personally, I'm tired of my flower beds being smashed and used as a litter box, dog bombs left for me to step on when I mow my yard, tom cats spraying their sent around my hot tub, dead rabbits left for me to pick up in my yard, et.....

All I need is the sweet sweet sound of cats in heat during the night on a cruise ship (gives the sex on the balcony threads new meaning doesn't it?), dogs barking when room service knocks on someone's door and those little surprises pet's tend to leave behind when the urge hits them (that wet spot ain't always from the kids coming out of the pool). Hitting the hot tub with pets around could be an entirely new experience. And you thought the diaper surprise was bad? Pets could put a whole new twist on the term "floaties" if you know what I mean.

Of course there are more pets than just cat's and dogs. In fact, some pets might look at other pets as the main course on the buffet line. Snake's, for instance might just want to eat the next cabins pet rat. Someone's cat could make a midnight snack out of someone else's parakeet. I'm sure my neigbors pit bull wants to eat my other neighbors cat. However, the big fence has prevented that.

How about the nice surprise of something that really isn't a towel animal at night. Let's say that friendly little tarantula from down the hall that just happened to be out for a evening walk while you were at dinner? Some of those lizards that people keep could be an eye opener if you happened to roll over in the morning to come face to face with one.

Pet's are personal and not everyone wants to share them with you.

Now before you jump or flame, you should know that we have two dogs and three parrots in our house. The hamesters and guienne pigs have long since past and as the kids are older now, they weren't replaced this last time. I've also rescued many stray cats and found them good homes. We have allergies to cat dander that prevents us from having them. I'm not anti pet but I can be anti some one else's pet if it is allowed to disturbs my peace or destroy my property .

Sorry folks but a pet cruise is a bad idea IMO. I miss 'em when we're gone but I'm not about to try to take 'em with me when we go. They're just to much of an inconvenience for everyone else that's trying to enjoy their vacation.

I read somewhere that the world cruise (the cruise ship with owner suites) that they have a pet centre. I am assuming that you could kennel your pets there when you are on shore excursions. They must have some kind of dog run and little baggies etc. I would love to bring my little dog. Not sure he would like to sail though.

Alexis, I think that kennel was left over from the days when people took cruises for at least a month at a time!

Folgy - my cat is a little more active than yours, but it sounds familiar. I miss her terribly when I go on vacation, (and she yells at me when I get back and stays near me for days), but I don't think she would really like a cruise. No lawn to sit on and too many crowds. And a pet cruise would be OUT OF THE QUESTION. She does not really like other animals, and dogs make her very uneasy.

I am picturing the scene from "There's Something About Mary" with a dog and a window. Now imagine a Yorkie, A Tennis Ball, and the Middle of the Ocean.

:)

BTW I own 5 cats, so I don't hate any animals. But the picture is imbedded in my mind.

The nw QM2 has a kennel and a 'poop deck" Read about it in Cindy Adams column in the New York post, when she was on the first transatlantic. Someone on one of the threads confirmed it exists.

Our two wonder springers go the the "Marriot" of the kennel world, with there own playtime and duplex suite, they are known as the "springer sisters"

We leave the cat home and my sons come to the house and feeds him(although he is not a happy camper with his sisters missing). We came home from our last cruise, too late to pick up our dogs and all night, our cat just had the most blood curdling yell, he stopped the minute he saw the dogs, ran up to the younger one, who he loves, started licking her and purring.

I would consider taking my shih tzu on a cruise.... he is wonderful travel dog and no one would even know he was there. I think it would depend on the pet, some would hate it! My cat, for instance, would go nuts in a cabin for a week and want to jump ship! ;)

~Beth

My dogs are wee wee pad trained along with outside ( because sometimes we are gone longer than expected and so they know where to go, not just anywhere). My dogs definately are better trained than many children;) . And my daschund looks lovely in a gown,:rolleyes: and would love going with us as we travel extensively with them in a van, and was born In germany and can speak German. :eek:

BUT, that being said, they are better off on their mini vacation at their Aunt in the country.

My cats would FREAK out! I think dogs would do much better on a cruise, as they tend to be more social.

However, I know Folgy was saying this "tongue in cheek" and its a fun topic!

And I certainly object more to children crying and whining & yelling than I would dogs barking!

Now, what about the subject of swimmie diapers in the pool? :eek:

We have an absolutely wonderful, well-behaved dog but when we vacation, she goes to the kennel. For a week before we drop her off, we tell her she's going to visit the "Doggie Motel" and that "Aunt Patch" will care for her. (Not that we really think she understands.....) She LOVES it there.

And as much as we love her and miss her, DH and I also love the break from "poop" duty. :eek: We miss the walks and the companionship, but we don't miss the baggies! :D

OH...and the image in MY brain has one section of the ship where all the dogs are walked. Of course, just like in the "real" world, some of those who are owned by pets fail to clean up after them. And who wants their balcony cabin on THAT end of the ship? :)

Archived