Not allowed off ship unless on ship-sponsored tour?

MommaFaye

I read somewhere (searched for it, but can't find it again) that unless you are going on a ship-sponsored tour, you will not be allowed off of the ship in Panama. Can anyone tell me if this is true?

I have obtained the name of a private tour guide that we might be interested in hiring, but it wouldn't be ship-sponsored.

On some crusies that go through Gatun Locks and cruise the lake, then go back out (i.e. not transcanal all-the-way-through) cruises you can't disembark unless you are on a tour. If you are on a transcanal sailing and haven't done the canal before I highly recommend that you stay on board for this amazing day even if you do have touring options.. just not the same perspective from land..

Isn't Puerto Limon in Costa Rica? I know that what Caroline says about Panama is true, but that is the only port that you have to book ship excursions. You might have to wait until the passengers who have booked with the ship to get off. We will be going on a panama cruise on the Coral Princess in December, and we booked our own tours in Limon and in Belize.

-Kristin

Isn't Puerto Limon in Costa Rica? I know that what Caroline says about Panama is true, but that is the only port that you have to book ship excursions. You might have to wait until the passengers who have booked with the ship to get off. We will be going on a panama cruise on the Coral Princess in December, and we booked our own tours in Limon and in Belize.

-Kristin

we are on brilliance of the seas 4/8/05 and are wondering if brilliance goes all the way through the panama can. or not?

dean & alice

Dean & Alice:

Your cruise documents should tell you this -- but basically, if you don't have ports on both sides of the Canal, you don't go all the way through it.

If you have a round trip cruise (like Fort Lauderdale to Fort Lauderdale), it's unlikely that you go all the way through.

Want to find out for sure? Ask your travel agent (that's what they're there for, and they REALLY shouldn't have sold you a cruise without telling you exactly where you're going), or post on the board here at Cruise Critic dedicated to your cruise line. Those folks know everything about your itinerary.

Archived