Suggestion for post-cruise trips in Copenhagen

I will be finishing my 10 day cruise in Copenhagen and I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some advice touring Copenhagen on the same day.

My flight will leave after 8PM and I will have a realtively long day to see the city. The problem is that I am not sure how to handle all the luggage after disembarkation!?

Should I go to the airport first and try to find a luggage safe?

What is the best itinerary from let's say 9:00AM-6:00PM?

Any advice is greatly appreacited...

AA

Upcoming Cruise: Baltic seas on Amsterdam June/22/2006

There are many luggage boxes at the Central station (København H) and from here you can tour the whole city, or maybe take the S train line A and E to Hillerød and se Frederiksborg Castle.

This trip takes under 40 Minutes and the trip to Helsingør (elsinore) with the Øresundstoget/trains for Kronborg Castle is also about 40 minutes.

I dont know if you are travelling with kids but the experimentarium is a good choise if you are. its a science center for the kids where they can learn things and there always shifting themes but check there webside out. http://www.experimentarium.dk/

Sorry for my bad English but i try the best i can.

As the previous poster said, you can store luggage at the train station, which makes much more sense than going out to the airport and returning to town. I also seem to recall reading about a place on Stroget where cruise ship passengers could leave belongings -- check with your cruise line.

As to an itinerary, it depends what you want to see and how weary you are. In my opinion, Copenhagen is best seen on foot. There are several walking tours you could choose from in the morning, ending up perhaps near Nyhavn for lunch and then a canal cruise. If you have additional time, the National Museum is a storehouse of history with lots of Viking artifacts, or you could stroll around Tivoli for a couple of hours (although I think Tivoli is best experienced at night.)

Kaere Danish Viking,

Welcome to the Baltic message board. Hvor dan gar det?

Your English is great. It's good to see a local Danish resident respond and help answer questions related to Copenhagen and Denmark. I am sure there will be a lot of questions on this forum related to Copenhagen, and I am glad to see there's an expert in you to give suggestions and information. I too try to help answer what I can on this message board. I used to live in Denmark, Hellerup og Frederiksvaerk, as an exchange student. I attended Kildegaard and Frederiksvaerk gymnasium. I've returned to Danmark several times, including just last summer when I departed on a cruise, Princess's Star Princess.

Anyhow, I just wanted to say hi, and hope you will reply when you can to help people with information on Wonderful Copenhagen, and Denmark. Tak.

Med venlig hilsen,

Steve

swdke@aol.com

I will be finishing my 10 day cruise in Copenhagen and I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some advice touring Copenhagen on the same day.

My flight will leave after 8PM and I will have a realtively long day to see the city. The problem is that I am not sure how to handle all the luggage after disembarkation!?

Should I go to the airport first and try to find a luggage safe?

What is the best itinerary from let's say 9:00AM-6:00PM?

The Central station (København H), referred to by Danish Viking is the main train station in Copenhagen, aka København H. If you can store your luggage there in a locker, you'll be in a great location to begin your tour of Copenhagen. Also, when it's time for you to return to pick up your luggage, you can take a train directly from the station to the airport. How convenient is that?

For what to do, there's Tivoli, and amusement park directly accross from the central train station where you will drop off your luggage. From there, you can walk across to Radhuspladsen "the town square" and on to Stroget. Lots of great shopping in Storget, the world's longest pedestrian street. At the end of Stroget is Nyhavn where you can take a canal tour which I strongly recommend. The canal tour can also be taken at Gammel Torv which is just off Stroget, midway bewteen the town square and Nyhavn. Also, there are a number of castles and palaces in Copenhagen. There's Rosenborg which is in a beautiful park setting and only takes about an hour to view/tour. Also, the crown jewels are kept there too. And, there's Amalienborg palace where the Queen and Crown Prince reside at certain times of the year. You can't go inside, but maybe you can catch the changing of the guard around noon which is always interesting. Of course, there's the little mermaid to visit too. As you do your research, you'll find that you will have many sights to see with your layover before your departure. Be sure to samplel some of the Danish foods, and pastry, the bakeries are excellent!!! I am confident you will enjoy your visit in Copenhagen. Have fun!

Hej Steve.

I am living in Køge about 40 km south for Copenhagen.

For ideas and event calender in copenhagen visit www.aok.dk

24 hour ticket (110 DKK) for busses, Metro, S trains, Øresundstog and regional trains is a easy way of getting around.

Visit www.Rejseplanen.dk (travelplaner) or www.hur.dk (Greater Copenhagen city authority and busses) and www.dsb.dk (National danish Railway) and www.m.dk (copenhagen Metro)

Thanks so much for all your responses! :)

Do you know, how large the lugagge stores are at the Central station (København H)? We'll have 3-4 slightly larger than average bags.

I think I really should have stayed overnight at Copenhagen after the cruise because it seems like there is too much to see. Do you think buying the Copenhagen Card makes sense for this quick post-cruise day? Can I buy it at the Central Station or it is better to buy it in advance.

AA

Do you think buying the Copenhagen Card makes sense for this quick post-cruise day? Can I buy it at the Central Station or it is better to buy it in advance.AA

These cards seem like a good idea, and they're convenient as opposed to having currency, but I am not sure if you would get your money's worth. You have to identify what you think you'd like to see and do in the time you have, and what it cost. Then, compare that to the savings from the Copenhagen Card. My impression is you have to cram a lot stuff in a "full" day to get your money's worth. In your case, I think you'll have less time to use the card with having to store luggage, pick up luggage, and go to the airport. Although I am skeptical if you'd come out ahead, just do the comparision and see if you'll save money.

Archived