Hosiery question

Mezzaluna

I have to wear hose :eek: with a cocktail dress for a formal night next month on the Coral Princess. The dress is black silk, sequined chemise. My shoes are low-heeled, shiny woven sandals (they are suitably dressy). I really do need to wear hose to obscure spider veins, so my question is, black or beige? I have some very sheer, black sandalfoot pantyhose. Do I need beige ones instead?

I was going to wear black hose with a dress I purchased last year but was convinced by a few of the gals on here to wear a very sheer nude.......and I now know that was the correct decision.

The nude looked much better....(didn't detract from the dress as black might have).

So, I would say wear nude:) ...and very sheer as well!

The sheerest color closest to your natural skin tone that you can find. I've never been a fan of black hose, though. Step back and take a look at someone with black hose on, it really does look kinda funny. The only time I've seen it look good is with a black business suit with the hose a little opaque.

I feel your pain, sometimes we have to wear hose. I have to really love a dress before I will buy one that requires me to wear hose.

As w/ any opinion everyone has one. Personnally I hate plack dresses & black shoes w/ anothing other than sheer black hose.

That said, try the outfit on w/ both black hose & nude hose. See which one you like better & wear that.

I'm not as anti-black hose with a black dress as some of the posters. I would wear them with a long dress or pants and closed black shoes as I think that sometimes look better then having a little stirp of nude/tan at the ankle. But I think black hose looks kind of odd with sandals.

I agree that black hose is more of a winter thing....but, I would have to see the outfit to say for sure.

If everything was black.....outfit, hose & shoes....then maybe. That is a very formal look.... but almost formal-funeral looking?

Hey.....post a picture for us....we'll vote! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I've also found that wearing "Thigh-Highs" are a wonderful solution for hose on a cruise -- not as hot and restraining as pantyhose :)

Nancy

I wonder if they are bearable or like wearing a thigh tourniquet. I dont have heavy legs, but I still wonder about comfort. I was thinking of trying a pair. Anything is better than the pantyhose thing on a cruise.

The (thigh-highs) are not very tight around your thigh (relatively speaking). There is a light 'rubbery' strip that holds them up. Must say, tho, it's a bit different... One your DH might appreciate later ;) :eek: :rolleyes: :p -- just a fun "free feeling" not experienced before :rolleyes:

Nancy

I don't like the thigh-highs - that rubbery band around the top drives me nuts. But they do look pretty.

However, I do agree that pantyhose can be hot (though ships have a/c and are often even too chilly).

However, I find stockings and garter belt very comfortable and a lot cooler than pantyhose....and a lot sexier looking.

Jane

Archived