OT a bit, The Devis wears Prada a movie

Hi all,

I was at the movies on sunday and from a distance I saw a picture advertising a new movie, did not walk over to see it up close but it was red stilletos with a pitch fork and I said to DH I bet they made a movie out of the book "The Devil Wears Prada", but then dismissed the thought.

This am I saw a trailer on TV for what else the new movie "The Devil Wears Prada", I think Merily Streep has the lead role as the "editor".

I will go see that. I think it opens June 30th. I did read the book, found it a bit slow in the beginning but all in all I thought it was so funny but unbelievable.

Any thoughts/comments

I read the book; although I enjoyed the fashion world aspects, I thought it was the same plot as The Nanny Diaries recycled in a different setting. I agree it was a bit unbelievable toward the end.

I'll go see the movie though, because I think Meryl Streep is funny when given the chance and I've heard she really took this role and made it her own (as opposed to trying to do a "send up" of Anna Wintour, the woman the book was supposedly based on).

Hi, can you tell me a bit about the book the Nancy Diaries, I might be interested. I do a lot of reading especially over the summer months and am always looking for books of interest.

I didn't hear a thing, I must say I was a bit surprised that the book was turned into a movie, didn't think it was that popular of a book, only heard about it here on the fashion board but I guess I can see it as a good comedy.

Hi, can you tell me a bit about the book the Nancy Diaries, I might be interested. I do a lot of reading especially over the summer months and am always looking for books of interest.

The Nanny Diaries is the story of Nanny, a (you guessed it) nanny to the wealthy in Manhattan. She takes a job with a highly dysfunctional family. The wife/mother is a character much like the editor in The Devil Wears Prada, in that the whole world revolves around her. However, she is just a TAD more sympathetic, as you learn she has some insecurities (rightfully so) regarding her marriage. Nanny develops a great relationship with the child, Grayer (what a name), and eventually her attachment ends up costing her her job.

It's a quick read, funny but also sad. You end up wondering if there are really people like this and, if so, why they bother having kids, other than as a status symbol.

The Devil Wear Prada was written by one of Anna Wintour's ex- assistants at Vogue.

Last week there was a pre-screening of it with movie and fashion people attending (held at the Paris theatre next to Bergdorf's). Anna Wintour was in the audience and walked out of the theatre the moment the film ended so as to avoid any questions from reporters.

As you can imagine, New Yorkers can't wait to see this film. Last night I attended a Fashion industry event and everyone's buzzing about it. I met two top beauty editors from major magazines who are really chomping at the bit to see it!

Jane

I would hope that Anna Wintour isn't the self absorbed narcissist she is portrayed to be in the book.

I have zero dealings with AW but have had some Conde Naste dealings.

Jane, can you shed any light on the book?

I didn't care for The Devil Wears Prada and I didn't think it was very funny so I doubt if I will see the movie. I loved all of Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic books. Presently I am reading Cocktails For Three by Madeleine Wickham (same author as the Shopaholic Books writing under another name). These are mindless books but oh such fun. I guess I should refer to them as my guilty pleasure.

Jane, I must have posted when you did even though the time is different.

Is Lauren Weisberger's take on Anna Wintour correct? I think Meryl Streep will do a great job.

What a fun role that could be!

The Nanny Diaries is the story of Nanny, a (you guessed it) nanny to the wealthy in Manhattan. She takes a job with a highly dysfunctional family. The wife/mother is a character much like the editor in The Devil Wears Prada, in that the whole world revolves around her. However, she is just a TAD more sympathetic, as you learn she has some insecurities (rightfully so) regarding her marriage. Nanny develops a great relationship with the child, Grayer (what a name), and eventually her attachment ends up costing her her job.

It's a quick read, funny but also sad. You end up wondering if there are really people like this and, if so, why they bother having kids, other than as a status symbol.

I thought the mother was a composite of all the mothers the two authors, Emma McLaughlin & Nicola Kraus, had been employed by as Manhattan nannies.

Is Lauren Weisberger's take on Anna Wintour correct? I think Meryl Streep will do a great job.

I've been in the same room as Anna Wintour a number of times and in many years have exchanged a total of about 5 minutes worth of conversation with her. Hence, I really haven't a clue.

Wintour did make it her mission to get to the top by any means necessary and let no one stand in her way. That's quite well known. She has always demanded to be treated like she's an extraordinary person. In the fashion industry, she does not have a good reputation for her personality or graciousness. But I'm sure her character is exaggerated by Meryl Streep because it makes for better movie viewing.

Meryl Streep ALWAYS does a great job in my opinion!

I saw the previews yesterday when my mom and I went to see Posiedon (sp??)....Devil wears Prada looked like a good, light summer comedy (for lack of better words)

At any rate, it has to be better than Posiedon....really lame movie but great special effects..Richard Dreyfuss looks about 100 and Kurt Russell ???? (maybe he needs $$$!!)

I'll pretty much go see anything with Meryl Streep...even if it turns out to be a disaster.... it's got to be better than Poisedon...

Hi ladies.

I just started reading your board and thought I'd jump in!

Lauren Weisberger has a new one out, "Everyone Worth Knowing" and it is based on the NYC club scene. I started out really enjoying it, but I'm getting bored with it. I have about 45 pages to go and will finish it tomorrow.

I too enjoyed "The Nanny Diaries" and "The Devil Wears Prada." Count me in as a Sophie Kinsella fan too. I really would like to see the Shop-a-holic series made into a movie. I will see the Devil movies with some of my girlfriends I'm sure.

As far as fashion, I am a PURSE fanatic. Heading to the Coach and Fendi outlets tomorrow in Orlando while my husband is meeting with clients.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Stacey

This great book is also being made into a movie (maybe it has finished filming by now). I can't remember who is in it (senior moment I'm sure:p ), but I do remember that I thought it was pretty good casting.

Stacey,

Welcome!

So let us know how your shopping expedition went. I love living vicariously though other's fabulous finds! :)

Thanks for the info about the new book "Everyone worth knowing".

The "Devil Wears Prada" isn't playing near me, so I may go and see "Water" this weekend. Gets fabulous reveiws!

Jane

Jane what is the "Water" movie?

I don't think the Devil wears Prada is out yet, I think it's slated for end of June (at least for here I think, better check, lol).

Stacy, hi and welcome and thanks for the tip of that book, I will get it as I used to live in NYC and was really into the "club scene" back then so I love reading/hearing about it. I actually went to see the moive "Studio 54", probably one of only 4 or 5, lol, horriblely made movie, but brought back a lot of memories and a lot of it was true, so for me it was somewhat enjoyable. My DH is not a "club person" because going to a club at midnight is not his idea of a "fun time" so don't go anymore which is fine, I had my fill of it and we probably would feel "too old" for the NYC "club scene", but still love hearing/reading about it.

Have a happy shopping day, let us know all the wonderful things you got.

Thanks for the welcomes!

I was never into the club scene, but I really do enjoy reading about them. While I don't like the trash magazines, I do enjoy "People" every week to see what the stars are up to.

I love a good bargain. There aren't many outlets down here (although we have Sawgrass Mills, I don't think the sales are so great) so when I can get to Orlando to poke through my favorite stores, I definitley do. My birthday is next Friday, so I'm hoping there is a nice purse calling my name in Coach or Fendi later on! :)

I'm also a mystery shopper as a hobby. Love it! Don't always do the nicer stores, but it's sill fun.

Have a great weekend!

Stacey

It looks like a cute movie and I loved Anne Hathaway in those Princess Diary movies. she was great with Julie Andrews so I do believe she will be great with Merle streep.

I also want to see that movie the Beach House. After going to see that Posideon a couple of weeks ago I need a good comedy and a romance story!

I saw the previews yesterday when my mom and I went to see Posiedon (sp??)....Devil wears Prada looked like a good, light summer comedy (for lack of better words)

At any rate, it has to be better than Posiedon....really lame movie but great special effects..Richard Dreyfuss looks about 100 and Kurt Russell ???? (maybe he needs $$$!!)

I'll pretty much go see anything with Meryl Streep...even if it turns out to be a disaster.... it's got to be better than Poisedon...

I thought it ridiculous that a 9 story atruim would suddenly look 100 stories-Hollywood sensaltionalism I guess-as if a 9 story fall would not kill you. The movie was much too intense for me and not enough character bonding-it was all about them almost dying over and over and over-until only 6 survive in the end. Pretty stupid too these people make it to the outside of the ship and there just happens to be a raft there and as they swim to the raft the ship goes down. Lame!

I did like the Richard Dreyfus character and the stowaway girl character and how they bonded and I agree- he really looked old. But he also didn't look exactly young in Mr. Holland's Opus and that movie was 10 years ago or more.

Archived