Help please with ports.

Travelbug 2

We will be going on a full transit Panama Canal cruise end of Sept early Oct. 2006.

This is our first canal transit and I am looking at booking shore ex's for some ports of call. We usually book "easy activity" tours due to some minor mobility problems. Can anyone give any advise for each of the listed ports - ie - is a shore ex advisable, can we just explore on our own, is it worth going ashore etc etc.

Any help would be appreciated. The ports are as follows ---

Depart Vancouver. -- San Diego -- Cabo San Lucas -- Acapulco -- Santa Cruz Huatulco -- Puntarrenas City -- Cartagena -- Half Moon Cay -- arrive Ft Lauderdale.

We do not want to miss out on any "must see's"

Thank you in advance.

The only port we've been to on your list is Cabo and we did ATV rides. I'm guessing that isn't what you're looking for but I can tell you, it was a blast! They take you through wonderful terrain and then down to the beach. You just need to be able to drive the ATV.

We just did the Panama Canal transit in April on the Volendam so hopefully my memory should still be good. Had lunch in a fun restaurant right on the beach in Huatulco - get their shrimp salad - awesome! Not hard to find - it's right at the end of the pier.

Costa Rica - we took the aerial tramway thru the Rainforest - a once in a lifetime experience - in Columbia I just did the shopping tour - their emeralds are beautiful - so I just had to buy myself a birthday present. We did take the ship sponsored tour - so we knew were were dealing with reputable dealers.

Be sure and get up early the day you go thru the locks - it was amazing -

All in all I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Have a wonderful time!

Barbara

Oops - one more thing - the only other port that we went to that's on your itinerary was Cabo San Lucas.

I really wasn't very impressed - possibly we took the wrong tour. Of all the places we went this seemed the most touristy to me. Really loved Puerta Vallarta, but wouldn't go back to Cabo.

Barbara

Archived