Men's Dress Code!

kingsrx

I am trying to figure out what to pack for my husband.

We have everything for the formal night (black suit).

Informal and casual nights are proving rather difficult.

Any examples of what you have seen as acceptable on informal and casual nights would be great!

Informal nights I always wear those shirts with the short stand up collars that have the button on the front (wore ties for too many years) and a blazer. Casual...dockers and a golf shirt or shirt.

kingsrx,

We (two mid-30's guys) are on the same cruise as you. There have been lots of threads about dress code, but when packing last night (we leave for Barcelona tonight!!), we decided to go the dark suit/no tie route for formal nights, the dress pants/dress shirt/no tie route for informal nights, and the dockers/sport shirt route for casual nights.

As someone else pointed out, with 1,000 people in the dining room at the same time, not everyone is going to be dressed exactly the same, and we based our choices on what we would feel most comfortable wearing.

See you onboard!

I ALWAYS bring both a tux as well as a dinner jacket. A navy blazer with two different ties, and either a couple polos or hawaiian type shirts with dockers for Caribbean cruises, or regular sports shirts for colder climates.

It is a vacation, but it doesn't hurt to look nice. I do believe that going without a tie in neither formal or informal but strictly casual. And you are only supposed to be dressed appropriately for a few hours a couple nights so I really don't see why so many people are against it. For a ten day cruise I never have more than a two suiter suitcase on wheels and a medium sized carry-on. Its easier and cheaper to have something laundered onboard if the need be, than to drag your whole closet along.

Back to your question. Informal SHOULD be a jacket tie and slacks. Most have a Navy jacket, but if you are bringing a black suit he could get away with wearing the jacket during formal and informal...mix up the ties a little, and theres nothing wrong with wearing a bow tie with a suit. it needn't be a tuxedo, and that would give a more elegant look intsead of the day at the office look. If he has a navy blazer, that would be great also.

Casual is just that. A sport shirt, and dockers or other slacks. No TIE. Long sleeve or short...up to you.

THink of Casual as what most people wear to church NOW, Informal as what people wore to church 40 years ago, and formal, think of the 'Oscars"

Dave:eek:

I have been cruising for 30 years and watched the dress code getting more casual every year. I used to wear long gowns back in the 70's and slowly evolved into basic black silk pants with a beaded top for formal nights and ditched the high heels. If it were up to me I'd eliminate the formal night or limit it to one night per cruise regardless of the length of the cruise. I'm going on an 11 night cruise and am not looking forward to three formal nights. It's very hard to pack for longer cruises and stay under the 30 pound weight limit on my suitcase. What you wear to dinner shouldn't affect your total enjoyment but that's not to say wear a tank top or shorts!

THink of Casual as what most people wear to church NOW, Informal as what people wore to church 40 years ago, and formal, think of the 'Oscars"

That is the perfect analogy!!!! Thank you so much!!! That even helps with what women should wear. Maybe X should copy it...

We have everything for the formal night (black suit).

Informal and casual nights are proving rather difficult.

Any examples of what you have seen as acceptable on informal and casual nights would be great!

I bring a black suit and several white short sleeve shirts and several ties. This will do me for formal nights and even informal if I choose.

I also bring a sports jacket and slacks and more ties. This will do me for most of the other nights. I like to dress every night in suit or jacket; I am overweight and feel the jacket makes me feel a little more svelte. :D On casual nights, I may forego the tie. The result of this mix is that I never wonder about what to wear to match the dress code.

I usually just throw in a thong or two with a half dozen tank tops and my flip flops.

No really, after 13 or 14 cruises I've really cut back on the packing. Now I just bring a tux, blue blazer, about three or four dress pants and dress shirts, golf shirts and bathing suits. Have things cleaned as needed on board.

Back to your question. Informal SHOULD be a jacket tie and slacks. Most have a Navy jacket, but if you are bringing a black suit he could get away with wearing the jacket during formal and informal...mix up the ties a little, and theres nothing wrong with wearing a bow tie with a suit. it needn't be a tuxedo, and that would give a more elegant look intsead of the day at the office look. If he has a navy blazer, that would be great also.

Casual is just that. A sport shirt, and dockers or other slacks. No TIE. Long sleeve or short...up to you.

Think of Casual as what most people wear to church NOW, Informal as what people wore to church 40 years ago, and formal, think of the 'Oscars"

I don't know about that .... frankly, a lot of what some people show up in for church I wouldn't allow my kids to leave the house in. I prefer to think of casual as 'country club casual'. A polo shirt or other collared shirt, neat slacks and NO TENNIES.

I have to say, that most women on cruises dress far better than their other halves. If only more men would spiff up a little more, it would put a sparkle in their partner's eye, and there would be a shipful of grateful cruisers.

JMHO

Nicki

• 2 weeks later...

1 tux. 1 pair khaki slacks. 1 navy blazer 2 ties. There you go!

Casual: khaki slacks and top of choice

Informal: add blazer, tie, and dress shirt

Formal : tux

There you have it without breaking your back.:D

If you're doing the packing and have the room, how would you like him to look?

The "dress" code (oxymoron for men) depends a lot on where you cruise. In the Mediterranean informal often meant casual and casual meant blue jeans.

If you are going to a fancy restaurant and taking in a show afterwards how would you like to look? Those people who just want to be comfortable would never get out of their pj's (or less) if they follow their own definition.

Look great, feel great!

I have traveled numerous times on Celebrity. I prefer wearing Tux on formal nights but about 40 pct of the men wear dark suits. Informal - it is generally acceptable to wear a sports jacket (tie optional) - I would say 80 pct don't wear ties. Casual - (often referred to as Resort Casual or Smart Casual) - slacks and a nice shirt. It is stated on the daily that blue jeans are never acceptable in the dining room, but you will see them worn ocassionally.

I would alwasy recommend that you pack for your husband something that will be comfortable and fun while respecting the guidelines.

We have just returned from Millennium and noticed a discrepancy on what Celebrity's website recommends as suitable atire and what was stated onboard.

Informal - on Celebrity's website it states jacket and tie and yet on the Daily News onboard it only stated jacket - we checked that this wasn't a mistake and were told ties are no longer required/recommended for informal.

When it states tuxedo, dark suit, or dinner jacket......does it state a 'tie' , or is it just common sense that when you dress, you are asked to dress appropriately.

From what I can remember...the dailys say "jacket and slacks" I can't remember if they also suggest underwear, socks, shoes, or even a shower.....

Informal nights I always wear those shirts with the short stand up collars that have the button on the front (wore ties for too many years) and a blazer. Casual...dockers and a golf shirt or shirt.

a.k.a, a mandarin collar. I always did like the look :).

When it states tuxedo, dark suit, or dinner jacket......does it state a 'tie' , or is it just common sense that when you dress, you are asked to dress appropriately.

From what I can remember...the dailys say "jacket and slacks" I can't remember if they also suggest underwear, socks, shoes, or even a shower.....

LOL!!!

But seriously, I think there IS a difference between "tuxedo/suit" and "jacket" in that requesting a tuxedo or suit really does imply some form of neckwear as well, whereas saying "jacket required" doesn't necessarily. Lots of restaurants, for example, require a jacket but the tie is optional. Also, it's rare to see someone in a tux or suit without neckware, but men in country clubs etc. often ARE seen in a jacket without a tie.

After several discussions with waiters and Maitre D's on several of our X cruises, as far as Celebrity is concerned, ties are neither required or expected on informal nights. That is evidently why they specifically have removed the "with tie" from the dailies a couple of years back.

I guess I was just raised in a different time...and I'm only 42.

Formal was for wedding parties, proms and 'special' occasions like debutant occasions. It alway required a tuxedo or dinner jacket. a suit was not considered formal.

Informal meant business attire. A suit or jacket AND TIE. The kind of thing we would wear to a church. your Sunday best.

Casual meant clean every day sports wear.

and ''Street" or "work" clothes were jeans, t-shirts, shorts, etc.....

My comments were aimed at the post:

"We have just returned from Millennium and noticed a discrepancy on what Celebrity's website recommends as suitable attire and what was stated onboard."

It would be highly irrational re-print everything in the brochures on the dailys. I'm amazed that guys get so uptight about wear a tie for a few hours....yet they want to make their girlfirends/wives/mistress':D

wear high heels . I'm shocked that most women haven't gone on 'strike' in an attempt to make their guys dress appropriately for the occasion.

As for the Mandarin collar....Its a fad that goes in and out, personally I don't like it. I equate it with powder blue leisure suits....which by the way could be considered formal by todays cruising dress standards:mad:

We were told ties were no longer required on informal nights as well on our Bermuda cruise. I was going to post that in my review but didn't feel like starting the dress code debate. He said a survey just went out to past Celebrity cruisers to help determine the help with the design and policies with things including dress code for their new ships.

Take this all with a grain of salt.... he mentioned that it looked like the new ships could go to freestyle dining. I for one have never been on a freestyle cruise but it would be nice to have such variety in X. Just my thought which could change the first cruise I take that is freestyle.

Excuse me but I was only quoting what we were told onboard - THAT TIES ARE NO LONGER RECOMMENDED FOR INFORMAL. There is enough flaming goes on here when people are wanting to opt out of the RECOMMENDED dress expections, I was only stating what is now RECOMMENDED.

Wow guys I was only saying what we were told onboard last week when we asked the specific question.

Sorry, I wasn't flaming you.

I guess I'm just dissapointed that cruising, which used to be the only 'civilized way to travel' is quickly becoming a drag your kid onboard, do "what I want to because I paid for it" , free for all. Now with the news that X might begin to offer 'freestyle' dining as well lowering its standards for the dress codes on its new ships, its gonna be time to start looking for a more suitable, less commercial line to go with.

I blame RCCL for X's slow decline into the generic world of family vacations.

For the time being I will continue to pack the tux, dinner jacket, sports coat and ties..It has never been an inconvenience, nor a problem. It has always been a 'treat' to see people dressed and acting accordingly for at least a few hours a couple of nights on a cruise...

They have already relaxed formal nights to allow dark colored suits, in lieu of tuxedos. Now with the "NO TIE" on informal night we have started down the slippery slope. I predict this current mode will turn into "Jeans welcome" and then "come as you are....flip flops, bathing suits, thongs.....

Its a shame IMHO

Archived