How many cruises do you take per year?

azlove2cruise

We took 7 in 2003 and 6 in 2004 but found they are not as "special" when you do that. If they are all on Princess you have the same menus, same production shows, and many of the same movies on each cruise.

One or two a year, if we haven't been to the ports, now sounds ideal to us.

We took 7 in 2003 and in 2004 but found they are not as "special" when you do that. If they are all on Princess you have the same menus, same production shows, and many of the same movies on each cruise.

One or two a year, if we haven't been to the ports, now sounds ideal to us.

I am fortunate, I usually cruise 3 times a year. This year I will cruise for 64 days and for 2007 have 59 cruise days booked so far.

Some time ago I had to decide, continue to go on cruising with "luxury lines" for 10 -14 day cruises, or switch to more "mass market lines" to inside cabins and do really long cruises, to more exotic places than the Caribbean (which for me is rather local)

I switched. For $8000 I could get a 10 day luxury Mexican cruise in a suite (I travel solo), or for same money I can do a 31 day cruise in an inside cabin out of LA to Hawaii, Sth.Pacific islands, New Zealand ending in Sydney .

It was no contest. I prefer longer cruises , more exotic destinations , so I forgo the Butler, "free" canapes, orchids in a vase, etc. in favour of "far away places with strange sounding names , far away over the sea " - but that is just my choice.

To end on a lighter note, at a local meeting I met a someone who said he had cruised over 150 times! " Wow!" was my reaction. Until I learned that each cruise was a one day cruise to no where on a local gambling ship. That was his choice

It was no contest. I prefer longer cruises , more exotic destinations , so I forgo the Butler, "free" canapes, orchids in a vase, etc. in favour of "far away places with strange sounding names , far away over the sea " - but that is just my choice.

So nice to read your note. I also travel alone and go only on longer cruises with exotic locales. In short order, Caribbean islands all start to look alike, give or take the model of taxis at the pier.

I've been cruising since '57 and got tired of it so went to land travel for years. Now I'm back cruising again to, as you well put it, faraway locales in the cheap seats of quality cruise lines. If I'm gonna pack a bag, I'm gonna make it worthwhile.

It has taken me a long time to understand that folks who brag about huge numbers of cruises are cruise tour guides who go on a ship like you and I go to the office, travel agents, live on the Coasts and do a lot of hop on, hop off, or sail on the gambling cruise-to-nowhere.

I take fewer cruises and try to "make it count."

Happy sails,

Ruby

We started in '95. We just returned from our 8th cruise in April. We are lucky to be able to cruise once a year. However, this year we will be cruising twice the next time in Oct. a 12 day!!! Then in Oct. '07 (God willing and the creeks don't rise) we will be doing a 15 day Hawaii:) At first my husband was very reluctant to cruise, now all we do is talk about where next. Our kids can't believe that we love to cruise. I told them for what we are paying for the "beach family vacation" I could put a few more bucks and go cruise. We enjoy the longer cruises and the last two have been 10 day. Don't know if I could go back to a 7 day or not. Don't want to sound stuffy but we love the sea days and the longer cruises. We say go while we can!! I have to agree the Caribbean islands are all looking the same although they are beautiful. Looking forward to Panama Canal, Alaska and who knows maybe Europe. I know we are hooked:D

Do far too many cruises in ayear...this year is jammed pack....on average between 7-10 a year. Some years less and some years more like this year.Tony

Like CruisinLiz's DH, I am semi-retired, but since I work out of our home (or on a laptop), we're pretty much free to go anywhere we want, when we want. I also believe (like CL's DH) that these are the good years, so might as well have as much fun as possible while we are both healthy and up for the game.

We try to do three cruises a year, but this year, when we've already done QM2 to Hawaii in March and are about to do Oceania Nautica in July, we have squeezed in a fourth cruise because I read about this great offer (all things being relative) on Silversea's Silver Shadow to the Mexican Riviera. We live near San Pedro and can drive to the dock, so this itinerary is by far the cheapsest because there's no air far and hotel. Also, we love our vino and the thought of getting it free made this a must-sea.:) Finally, for my wife's big 60, we're doing the Panama Canal on Celebrity's Summit.

As for 2007, we have already booked two cruises--the remodeled Celebrity Century on a Caribbean B2b2b (that's three cruises back-to-back), plus Tahitian Princess from Tahiti to Honolulu. Right now we're thinking of another Mex Riviera (that'll be number 7) on Volendam or whatever HAL has going.

Of course, all of this depends on the world not imploding financially and if it doesn't we're good to go for 2008 when the new Celebrity Solstice and HAL's whatever-it'll-be called, set sail. We had considered Queen Victoria, which debuts late in 2007, but after our so-so time on QM2 to Hawaii this past March, we have put Cunard on restriction:p .

If we all are on food stamps by 2007, me and the DW will be back on RCI--"Not that there's anything wrong with that," as Seinfeld said.

This past year, I took 5, but also another 2 weeks of land traveling. This year might only be one, but 6 weeks++ of land touring. Overall about 8 weeks per year in travel. I am fortunate, still have that overpaid full time job to support it. :) I live for today!

Since I retired we cruise 3 or 4 times a year. We prefer longer cruises but are not above grabbing a great last minute deal on a 5 to 7 day cruise. Sailing the same line that often would be boring so we switch things around. Our last four cruises were on Princess, NCL, RCCL, and Celebrity. Thankfully a balcony is not essential for us so we can cruise more often without breaking the bank. We also travel for about 3 weeks on land per year. Next up is a family cruise in July when we take the kids and grandkids.

We are currently up to two a year. We work, but decided to always cruise Thanksgiving week since we do not do a family thing that week.

Our second cruise is with my parents who are retired and do over six a year. It is something we just all very much enjoy.

To end on a lighter note, at a local meeting I met a someone who said he had cruised over 150 times! " Wow!" was my reaction. Until I learned that each cruise was a one day cruise to no where on a local gambling ship. That was his choice

LOL..you are right about that and then there are also lots of members who have family that work for airlines etc. that get what are called 'interline rates' or fly for free etc.... which makes a huge difference in what you can afford to do and your options, regardless of how much vacation you get. I was surprised when I was a TA how many airline employees were able to cruise inexpensively! I have friends who work for USAirways who travel much much more than those of us who pay (or pay full price):) But we cruise twice a year and have been for 20 years or so and are planning to start doing some longer European cruises etc. and then going inexpensively to the Caribbean for the second one.. not many years to retirement but with a 60 hr a week job, I need "waited" on three weeks a year .... love love those 5 weeks of vacation :D

We usually try to take 2 cruises yearly, but after several years, we're finding it more difficult to book new and more interesting sailings. The caribbean has become "old hat" so we mix it some and do a single island now and then. We had done Europe, Alaska, etc. As the years go by, it's just harder to find things that are new.

I agree; I have never even tried to cruise as much as the OP. I hope she doesn't burn herself out too soon, but like you, over the past 25 years we have tried to cruise once or twice a year: there was a period of about 5 years we didn't cruise at all: I don't know why: Since last Sept we have cruised 3 times but we are finding it harder to find places that are interesting. We do like to cruise just to cruise, yet we want some variety. The Caribbean is not it for us: we did a transatlantic last fall (northern route) great; the best we have done, the western Caribbean is a total bore and we aren't into the Mexican Riv. It looks like we will do the canal in Novermber and hopefully next summer do Alaska again. The one we have still not done is the Med. another is New England; I would guess if we do not do Alaska next year we will do New England and Canada. NMnita

my my my....i guess I am still a newlywed, we started cruising on our honeymoon in 1999...and have been on 5 total. It just takes us a little longer to save up to get them paid off, we dont do credit. This past time was much easier as I booked it in April 2005 and had it paid off by july 2005

that was by far the fastest for us, still had to save for airfare, but then again we always wait to get good airfare rates since we are from Ohio, and have to fly usually, unless we want to drive, we debated it and decided against it with all the rising gas prices. Yes we too are running out of places to see , tired of st thomas and st martin after 2 times each, would love to go panama , alaska or hawaii someday like all who have posted here previously.

I guess we are poor city/countryfolk, I work retail at a department store , and my husband is an electrician, but there is sometimes a lack of work, well planning for october 2007 and a 2 day pre cruise in san diego, so we can visit the famous zoo! Gotta love cruising, this past time was our first pre cruise and post cruise stays, that was the best idea ever!!!!!! Becky

We try to take 2 a year minimum but unfortunately we have been limited to 1 year for the last couple of years because of hurricanes or at least the fear of hurricanes (we live in Florida).

Have a great next cruise.

Ya, know what? If it's your first cruise or your 50th or you 100th you're just as welcome here:D I don't think I'd want to cruise 5-6 times a year even if I could - too many other places I'd like to visit...

::and another secret::: some people don't cruise as often as they say they do:eek: :: I literally have no one in mind but have been a host for over 8 years and caught a few in the cruise-ka ;)

Ya, know what? If it's your first cruise or your 50th or you 100th you're just as welcome here:D I don't think I'd want to cruise 5-6 times a year even if I could - too many other places I'd like to visit...

::and another secret::: some people don't cruise as often as they say they do:eek: :: I literally have no one in mind but have been a host for over 8 years and caught a few in the cruise-ka ;)

Sounds like Caroline has some juicy gossip....Let's see if we can get her to spill a few..how about meeting me on deck, I will buy you a couple run runners and see where the conversation leads....;)

I took my first cruise last year and find myself completely hooked. I have all sorts of brochures, books on cruising, but these boards are the best. And, from reading these boards, it appears I am not alone in my cruise-craziness. There are lots of folks who have taken and continue to take several cruises per year, not just one big trip.

My next sailing is in July on CB. After that, I am planning another cruise with my parents and my brother sometime in Oct. They'll be first-timers. We're also booked on the Crown at year end. And, I just called my TA to look into a Med cruise mid-year 2007 and before that, perhaps a family reunion! If all goes as planned, that's 5 more cruises!

Usually two cruises a year (although technically we will have done three in 2006).

As you can see by my list, we have taken at least one cruise a year since 2000, but mostly take two a year. Within a years time, we took three. That was almost too many as my DH only gets a certain number of weeks away from work. We enjoy an annual beach trip, plus a few short get-aways, so those vacation days can add up if we are not careful in budgeting our time.;) We missed out in 2002 because of a house move and a fire. :(

Disney Wonder ~ 3/2000

Disney Magic ~ 9/2000

RCCL Vision ~ 2/19/2001

Carnival Victory ~ 12/2001

Celebrity Millennium ~ 3/2003

RCCL Adventures of the Seas ~ 9/14/2003

RCCL Mariner of the Seas ~ 7/18/2004

RCCL Serenade of the Seas ~ 9/26/2004

HAL Oosterdam ~ 2/26/2005

Princess Coral ~ 10/15/2005

Carnival Glory ~ 3/11/06

* Caribbean Princess 9/30

Sounds like Caroline has some juicy gossip....Let's see if we can get her to spill a few..how about meeting me on deck, I will buy you a couple run runners and see where the conversation leads....;)

I'll never tell.. and really I have no one in mind... just sometimes when you read as much as I do as often as I do you for thish long a time ya figure some stuff out

I'm now officially addicted not only to cruising...but to cruise critic!

I get 3 weeks vacation per year. I want to be on a cruise each and every one of those weeks. When I finally earn 4 weeks vacation...then I can cruise 1 more week! I am now working to cruise. I want to sail on all the new ships. I want to sail on every cruise line (well, almost) and I want to sail on all the itineraries (preferably warm ones) over and over and over again! I want to have a really long list of cruises I've been on just like a lot of folks on this message board and give advice to all the newbies. I only wished I would've tried cruising earlier when I believe it was much more affordable. Had I only known what the cruisn' life would bring!

Well, like others have said...do it now while we can:D

Archived