Ship to LAX- How long?

AlaskaFan05

It took us about 45 minutes to get from San Pedro to LAX. That was on a Sunday morning.

LAX is quite a busy airport and there are many times when the lines both at the airline counters and getting through security are quite long and as such most airlines recommend airriving to this airport 2 hours before flight departures as opposed to 1 hour.

On our recent cruise, there were a few people who had 10:30 AM flights but you really run a risk of missing it. You just can't be certain if there will be delays arriving to the port, delays caused by customs, problems with ground transporation, etc. Again, you might be oK but you never know. If it was me and since the airline caused the change I would see if they will put you on an afternoon flight without penalty. They should do that.

Keith

I was wondering if anyone knows how long it takes to get from the ship to LAX. Our airline changed our 12:30 flight to 10:30 am. Can I make it?

EXTREMELY doubtful. In fact, NO. You would have to be off the ship with all your luggage by 8:00AM. AT least 45 minutes travel time. One little glitch and you missed your flight.

Call the airline and request another flight. They changed the flight-it is their responsibility to accommodate you without charge.

We were second group off, and it took us under 30 minutes to get to LAX on a Saturday morning in January. We got to the airport just before 10am. A 1030 flight is extremely doubtful. I would check other flights, and other airlines. You should bea ble to get a refund if you find a different airline with a better schedule and similar fares.

Then I have 3 choices left. Attempt to catch an 11:15 am flight or spend the night in LA or Chicago. If I leave after 11:15 there will be no connections out of chicago until the next morning. Can I make a 11:15? If not what city is the best for layover? Thanks for all your help. Sometimes the East Coast can be hell on flights.

Then I have 3 choices left. Attempt to catch an 11:15 am flight or spend the night in LA or Chicago. If I leave after 11:15 there will be no connections out of chicago until the next morning. Can I make a 11:15? If not what city is the best for layover? Thanks for all your help. Sometimes the East Coast can be hell on flights.

If those are the only choices, spend the day in LA. What airline are you flying? We would be more able to help if we knew the airline.

Since I have no idea when you are flying, I just picked an arbitrary month-August 2006. The flights I am posting fly every day (as of today's schedule). Get on the phone with AA immediately and have them find an alternative. If you post the date, it would sure help. And ask AA about putting you in FC, free. All flights I looked at had FC open.

You will probably make the first flight I list. One stop, Dallas. These are the fare buckets and it appears that Y and below has some seats open. First class is wide open, even first class upgrades and award tickets.

AA flight 2442 11:50AM F7 A7 P7 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L0 W0 V0 G0 S0 O0 N0 Q0

through Dallas

This flight is late evening-red eye, with just a short stop in Chicago. The flight is wide open in most fare buckets, except for the cheapest.

AA flight 1740 11:50PM through Chicago F7 A7 P5 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 W7 V1 G0 S0 O0 N0 Q0

and AA flight 548-Chicago to BDL

I too think your best bet is to call American Airlines and explain that the flight that they've moved you to will not work for you. I would recommend finding some alternative that involves an early afternoon flight. Again, talk it through with them on the phone. I would hope that since they changed the flight to a time that does not work for you that they will find an alternative flight for you at the same price.

Keith

How about Delta? Came out to $328 taxes incl. I'm assuming you are cruising on Sept 16 and would fly a day early.

Hartford, CT (BDL) to Los Angeles, CA (LAX) on Fri, 15 Sep 2006

BDL 3:45pm

LAX 6:55pm Nonstop 6 hr 10 min

Delta 1425

Boeing 737-800

Los Angeles, CA (LAX) to Hartford, CT (BDL) on Sat, 23 Sep 2006

LAX 11:35am

BDL 11:41pm

1-stop

Salt Lake City

(2 hr 34 min layover)

9 hr 6 min

Delta 522

MD-90

Delta 926

Boeing 737-800

Northwest has this, for a little more money.

$373.20 Avg Price/Person Select

NW logo Northwest Airlines 1215

Booking Class: L / Economy

Ticket Designator:

Meal: Food for purchase

Equipment: 319

Fri, Sep 15

3hr 12min

1:15pm Depart Hartford/Springfield/Windsor Locks (BDL)

3:27pm Arrive Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP)

Plane Change

Approximate Distance: 1048 miles

NW logo Northwest Airlines 309

Booking Class: L / Economy

Ticket Designator:

Equipment: 320

Fri, Sep 15

3hr 59min

7:10pm Depart Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP)

9:09pm Arrive Los Angeles (LAX)

Approximate Distance: 1533 miles

NW logo Northwest Airlines 312

Booking Class: V / Economy

Ticket Designator:

Equipment: 753

Sat, Sep 23

3hr 47min

11:50am Depart Los Angeles (LAX)

5:37pm Arrive Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP)

Plane Change

Approximate Distance: 1533 miles

NW logo Northwest Airlines 1216

Booking Class: V / Economy

Ticket Designator:

Equipment: 320

Sat, Sep 23

2hr 34min

6:40pm Depart Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP)

10:14pm Arrive Hartford/Springfield/Windsor Locks (BDL)

Approximate Distance: 1048 miles

Here's one from United, although the flight there is a little early for my taste, but they have later in the day for another 40 bucks or so. I would tell AA to cancel and book one of these since I doubt they will ticket you on any of these. I ran into this same problem on a Delta flight for our cruise in January. We weren't going to get to ATL in time for the last flight home of the day, so we cancelled and went with Northwest. Delta cancelled with no fees because they had changed the LAX departure so much.

339.20 USD per person

Leg Flight info Date Depart Arrive Stops

1 United Airlines 455 Everyday low fares Sep 15 6:00 am BDL 7:35 am ORD Non-stop

United Airlines 107 Everyday low fares Sep 15 9:00 am ORD 11:23 am LAX Non-stop

2 United Airlines 855 Everyday low fares Sep 23 2:00 pm LAX 7:56 pm ORD Non-stop

United Airlines 1230 Everyday low fares Sep 23 8:45 pm ORD 11:45 pm BDL Non-stop

greatam we are flying on 9/23/06

Two flights with seats available. I personally would take this one. 777 to MIA nonstop. Good service, good plane.

AA flight 1520 LAX to Miami-777 service-lots of seats available-leaves at 12:05PM, arrives MIA at 7:45PM, one hour 15 minute connection.

Then AA flight 1964 MIA to BDL-757 service-arrives BDL 11:55PM

Only other option is AA flight 2442, leaving 11:27AM to DFW. Change to AA 1922, DFW to BDL. Arrives BDL at 10:07. You fly 738 (ugh) to DFW and MD80 to BDL.

Call AA immediately to change to whatever flight you want. Those are the only two on 9/23/06 that will work. All others leave too early in the morning.

Any thoughts on what a taxi costs from the pier to LAX or am I better off paying $50 for Princess transfers

Congrats on getting the MIA flight. 777 service is defintely better than anything else offered that day.

You never did say which pier-San Pedro or Long Beach/ Port of Los Angeles? Not much difference in distance. Should be about $25.00pp for a shuttle. Don't even think about the Princess transfers. You will have to wait until the bus fills before it leaves and that could make it very tight to get to the airport.

I would call any of the airport shuttles below. I personally like Prime Time the best.

http://www.supershuttle.com/htm/cities/lax.htm

http://www.laxairportshuttle.com/

http://www.primetimeshuttle.com/cruise_ship_service.htm

Greatam & Danj

thanks for all your input, I have rebooked to the lax-miami-hartford flight from american airlines leaving at 12:05. Let's hope they don't change this one on me

Congrats on that flight. Have you booked seats yet? Try to get AB or HJ seats, since AA has their 777's set up in 2-5-2 arrangement. That way it will just be the 2 of you in window/aisle seats.

Archived