Best Princess Ship to sail to Alaska?

LarryF

It's just my opinion, but I do not see any significant "savings" in flying to Denali Park from Talkeetna. It's a 3 hour drive, but loaded with scenery, having at least an overnight there and a car is superior for the ability to get around and considering driving the Park Road into the park for some "pre" wildlife spotting- big moose area. Last year spent over an hour watching 3 bears. Savage River offers ranger activities etc.

To answer your question if the flight is canceled- you probably will miss Denali Park, it's not a day trip, via driving from Talkeetna and shuttle tickets are not likely to be available.

As a suggestion for your itinerary. Better use of time would be to rent a one way car out of Whittier and head to Seward, overnight and do a Kenai Fjords boat trip. Then head north and do your northbound activities. A big reason for this is to get to Fish Creek in Denali Park, shuttle do not start until June 1. You will get to Toklat prior to this.

My husband and I have agreed that our post-cruise time in interior Alaska will begin Wed. morning when the cruise ends until late the following Monday night when our flight leaves Anchorage - so 6 days/5 nights. (I'd like to stay longer, and he would prefer to not take more than 2 weeks' vacation time - so the compromise is he'll be using 12 vacation days.) Some of our tentative plans, such as a Denali day trip, depend on there being a coupon for that in the 2007 Toursaver book. There are lots of possible variations to the land portion that we are considering, but a priority for us is to be back in Anchorage on Saturday night, because we want to go to church in the area Sunday morning.

I considered renting a car in Whittier, but I'd rather take the 4-hour tour to Anchorage with Alaskan Leopard and pay half as much for the rental car out of Anchorage. I also considered going to Seward right away, but in my opinion it's too much boat too soon - otherwise we would stay in Whittier and go on the PWS cruise immediately after our cruise ends! I think a PWS or Kenai Fjords cruise would be more enjoyable after several days on land, therefore it's the last major thing scheduled before we fly home.

Larry, I just returned home from a Princess cruise to Alaska. You're doing the right thing renting a car and touring on your own. Alaska is very easy to drive and much nicer doing it at your own pace and not on those tour buses. We spent the first night off the ship in Talkeetna and did the summit flight with Talkeetna Aero using toursaver. I am also not crazy about those flights, but it was great. I would highly recommend it. You're going to love this trip! Enjoy, Pat

Thanks Pat. I am getting excited about seeing Alaska on our own!

BugetQueen, I could change the itinerary by going south to Seward and doing the Kenai Fjors 1st and then make our way up to Denali. But to Nancy's point, would the Kenai Glacier cruise be a let down of any kind after just having cruised 2 days through Glacier National Park and College Fjords??

Also, how long a drive would it be from Seward to Matanuska Glacier area? Would it be possible to do that drive after we go on the morning Kenai cruise tour? Or would we be better off staying in Seward a second night and driving there the next morning?

Thanks

Thanks Pat. I am getting excited about seeing Alaska on our own!

BugetQueen, I could change the itinerary by going south to Seward and doing the Kenai Fjors 1st and then make our way up to Denali. But to Nancy's point, would the Kenai Glacier cruise be a let down of any kind after just having cruised 2 days through Glacier National Park and College Fjords??

Also, how long a drive would it be from Seward to Matanuska Glacier area? Would it be possible to do that drive after we go on the morning Kenai cruise tour? Or would we be better off staying in Seward a second night and driving there the next morning?

Thanks

I don't think Nancy has been to Alaska??? Sorry, but I disagree. Kenai Fjords and Prince William sound are NOTHING like sailing your cruise ship. Completely different as they are touring based. Your BIG cruise ship is transportation. You get up close, to wildlife and far closer to glaciers on the boat tours. The experience is very personal, just overall way superior.

With limited time, I am making the suggestion for the best use of your time. It is far more timely to go direct from Whittier to Seward, no matter what it costs in my opinion. Especially if you only have 5 days. Harley's can offer some car rental savings on a one way rental.

As for Seward to Matanuska Glacier, it would be easy to go Seward to Palmer after a morning Kenai Fjords tour. Might NOT be a toursaver offer however. Allow 4 ++ hours for the drive. Then you about 1 1/2 hours from the glacier. There isn't a lot of lodging options in the area, Sheep Mt is one. Would need to add the time of course. But with staying in Palmer and having an afternoon trek- easy scheduling, with an early start could also drive Hatcher Pass. Plenty of fine tuning if of interest once you decide.

I don't think Nancy has been to Alaska??? Sorry, but I disagree. Kenai Fjords and Prince William sound are NOTHING like sailing your cruise ship. Completely different as they are touring based. Your BIG cruise ship is transportation. You get up close, to wildlife and far closer to glaciers on the boat tours. The experience is very personal, just overall way superior.

With limited time, I am making the suggestion for the best use of your time. It is far more timely to go direct from Whittier to Seward, no matter what it costs in my opinion. Especially if you only have 5 days. Harley's can offer some car rental savings on a one way rental.

As for Seward to Matanuska Glacier, it would be easy to go Seward to Palmer after a morning Kenai Fjords tour. Might NOT be a toursaver offer however. Allow 4 ++ hours for the drive. Then you about 1 1/2 hours from the glacier. There isn't a lot of lodging options in the area, Sheep Mt is one. Would need to add the time of course. But with staying in Palmer and having an afternoon trek- easy scheduling, with an early start could also drive Hatcher Pass. Plenty of fine tuning if of interest once you decide.

Nope...I haven't been to Alaska yet. :) BQ, I think you (and Larry) misunderstood what I said. I fully intend to do a PWS and/or Kenai Fjords cruise at some point in the 6 days we will have for interior touring. When I said that going to Seward immediately after our cruise ends was "too much boat too soon" - I meant that I'd rather not get off the cruise ship and do another cruise right away. I would prefer to have some time on land before getting back on a boat - even a small one. It may be more timely to go from Whittier to Seward - but if one has had enough of being on the water for awhile, the small-ship cruise will be more enjoyable later in the week. However, if I were going to do another cruise right away, it would probably be a PWS one - since we'll already be in Whittier. In that case, after the PWS cruise we would take Alaskan Leopard's shuttle (no tour) back to Anchorage and spend the night there, pick-up the rental car downtown the next morning, and drive to Denali (via Talkeetna for flightseeing) - staying in Healy 2 nights.

It is far more timely to go direct from Whittier to Seward, no matter what it costs in my opinion.

I'd imagine the drive from Whittier to Seward isn't a whole lot quicker than the drive from Anchorage to Seward - when factoring in the time one waits around for the top of the hour to catch the tunnel leaving Whittier. Therefore, in my opinion, it's not a good enough reason for us to go to Seward directly from Whittier.

Since you will arrive in Whittier on May 28th, and the Denali shuttle to Fish Creek won't open until June 1st, you are better off doing as Budget Queen suggested and going to Seward before going to Denali.

My itinerary ideas were merely to show you that a land tour could be done on one's own - without going on a Princess cruisetour. I wasn't suggesting that you do what I do - especially since I will change my mind many times between now and next June!

IMHO the extra time down to Seward after a Northbound isn't worth the extra $$$ or time. Taking a really cool trip to Misty fiords while coming north will give you an even cooler "up close" experience. If your wife hates small planes,the small boaut Kenai Fjords tour may not be really great. DW who never gets seasick spent the day hanging over the rail. The Denali is completley different and deserves the extra time. The Kenai is okay but a but far less spectacular than the trip north from Anchorage. Avoid the trains unless you want to see 10 hours of trees! Maybe even consider an RV rental for your land your ending in Faibanks. The tour food costs will gag you after being on ship and accomodations are 1 star at 5 star prices.

Thanks everyone... I am learning a whole lot from all of your posts. I bought a copy of the 2006 "Mile Post" yesterday. What a great publication! I am not starting to understand the Geography much better. I know I will also make changes throughout the year as I learn more and more throught my research.

My next question would be at what point should I begin making hotel reservation, tour reservations, etc.? When will the 2007 Toursaver coupon book come out? How and where to you get the coupon book?

Thanks,

Larry

Thanks everyone... I am learning a whole lot from all of your posts. I bought a copy of the 2006 "Mile Post" yesterday. What a great publication! I am not starting to understand the Geography much better. I know I will also make changes throughout the year as I learn more and more throught my research.

My next question would be at what point should I begin making hotel reservation, tour reservations, etc.? When will the 2007 Toursaver coupon book come out? How and where to you get the coupon book?

Thanks,

Larry

Someone at CC posted that the 2007 Toursaver book should be out around November: http://www.toursaver.com

I agree about The Milepost - I've already started marking mine with a yellow highlighter! And if you don't already have Frommer's Alaska 2006 - that's another very helpful book. The 2006 edition is at Sam's Club now, and others reported seeing it at Costco. Your library may have a fairly recent edition, too.

As for hotel reservations, I'll probably make a few ASAP for our pre-cruise stay in Victoria and Vancouver because we'll be using hotel points. But I'm not committing to anything just yet that's non-refundable.

I'd imagine the drive from Whittier to Seward isn't a whole lot quicker than the drive from Anchorage to Seward - when factoring in the time one waits around for the top of the hour to catch the tunnel leaving Whittier. Therefore, in my opinion, it's not a good enough reason for us to go to Seward directly from Whittier.

For clairfication, you can be out via the 9am tunnel and in Seward around 11am, if you don't stop, which you might want to add time for. So yes it is significantly "quicker" than backtracking to Anchorage. My point is for those who do not have a lot of time- it is far better to consider my recommendations, since it is common for people to underestimate time and distances necessary. This routing gives you the most time at attractions, including Anchorage, Denali Park and Seward. I do highly recommend Seward, but it is well known that precautions ARE NECESSARY for Kenai Fjords boat tours. I see sick passengers every trip. But the scenery, wildlife and glacier experience are spectacular, certainly would not be the report of someone ill with time standing still.

Alaska Heritage tours, run larger boats, which may be a slight advantage.

But, determine your touring priorities, Alaska is FULL of gems, just be well aware of routings to take advantage of the time you have.

Larry, many times the Natural History tour CAN NOT be changed because of timing. If you do not have two nights there, probably not.

Being you have a year- would independent be an option??? Plenty of "hand holding" on the Alaska board with expert accurate planning information freely given. :)

As a suggestion with 5 days and using Anchorage airport- Northbound. Rent a one way Whittier/Anchorage car and head south to Seward, overnight with a Kenai Fjords boat tour of at least 6 hours on the water. Next day drive to Talkeetna- great funky Alaska town, flightseeing is the forte. Day 3- 4 Denali Park with the SHUTTLE bus to at least Fish Creek- 63 miles in. Day 5 back to Anchorage and over night flight home. (could also drive to Talkeetna day 4 after shuttle bus. Then time for some touring on the short drive to Anchorage??)

This offers you plenty of great Alaska touring. You'd be surprised how much time is eaten up on buses, loading and unloading, same with trains. To make the best use of your time, and freedom of your priorities, this option may be a consideration?? Here are some photo samples to look at if you care to, as an example of what you can do on your own. http://community.webshots.com/user/budgetqueen

I just viewed your photos and they are fantastic! What month of the year did you go to Alaska to get such great shots of bear and moose? We are planning another cruise to Alaska next year. Our first cruise was on Celebrity in early June 2004 and never saw any bear. We did see a moose from the train. We never saw any wildlife other than sheep in Denali. Have you ever cruised on Celebrity or HAL? If you did, how do you think they compare.

Thanks for your help,

Arlene

I just viewed your photos and they are fantastic! What month of the year did you go to Alaska to get such great shots of bear and moose? We are planning another cruise to Alaska next year. Our first cruise was on Celebrity in early June 2004 and never saw any bear. We did see a moose from the train. We never saw any wildlife other than sheep in Denali. Have you ever cruised on Celebrity or HAL? If you did, how do you think they compare.

Thanks for your help,

Arlene

That was Sept 1, 2005 in Denali park, went last 2 weeks of August through first week of Sept. 19 days. That is my most traveled timeframe in Alaska.

Thank you for the kind words. This is a small sample of photos I put together to support my posts. (since some people think I'm blowing smoke on my recommendations) :) You know- pictures speak louder that words? :) Anyway, they now have over 23,000 views.

I. Have you ever cruised on Celebrity or HAL? If you did, how do you think they compare.

Thanks for your help,

Arlene

I have not cruised Celebrity to Alaska, but have gone on 5 different lines there and Hal is probably my top pick. They are supurb for their itineraries, capts. who have an interest in Alaska and go out of their way for the passenger, and excellent ship naturalists.

As for Seward to Matanuska Glacier, it would be easy to go Seward to Palmer after a morning Kenai Fjords tour. Might NOT be a toursaver offer however. Allow 4 ++ hours for the drive. Then you about 1 1/2 hours from the glacier. There isn't a lot of lodging options in the area, Sheep Mt is one. Would need to add the time of course. But with staying in Palmer and having an afternoon trek- easy scheduling, with an early start could also drive Hatcher Pass. Plenty of fine tuning if of interest once you decide.[/quote

If I find a flight out of Fairbanks, what would you suggest we could do driving north to Fairbanks after 2 nights in Denali? We could probably spend one more night somewhere before driving to Fairbanks for our flight home....

Thanks,

Larry

If I find a flight out of Fairbanks, what would you suggest we could do driving north to Fairbanks after 2 nights in Denali? We could probably spend one more night somewhere before driving to Fairbanks for our flight home....

Larry

Fairbanks is only ~2 to 2-1/2 hours north of Denali and is a destination in its own right, so you could spend the night there.

I was planning to spend the night in Fairbanks if we get the flight out of there. What I wanted to know was a suggestion of what tours or adventures we might do either on our way to Fairbanks or in Fairbanks.

Also I just saw a tour on line that goes by land to the Arctic Circle. It leaves as 6am and doens't return until 11pm. They also have flight tours, but those are out of my budget. Can anyone tell me if this land tour is worth the 15 hours of driving??

Thanks

Hi Larry:

I just viewed your photos from your recent Caribbean cruise. Can you please tell me the tours you went on. Were they arranged through the cruise ship or did you organize them yourself? Your photos are absolutely fantastic. I enjoyed viewing each and every one of them. What type of camera are you using? DH and I are going on a southern Cariobbean cruise early next year on HAL with some of the same ports you visited and I would love to go on some of the same tours, if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Arlene

Hi Larry:

I just viewed your photos from your recent Caribbean cruise. Can you please tell me the tours you went on. Were they arranged through the cruise ship or did you organize them yourself? Your photos are absolutely fantastic. I enjoyed viewing each and every one of them. What type of camera are you using? DH and I are going on a southern Cariobbean cruise early next year on HAL with some of the same ports you visited and I would love to go on some of the same tours, if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Arlene

Thanks Arlene. I'm out of town right now and will post the tour information when I return home tomorrow night or Friday. The tours were all private tours and were the best I've ever been on in 15 cruises to the caribbean. We used Echoadventure tours in Antigua, Herods Tours in St. Lucia and Silvermoon Catermaran in Barbados. I will give you the websites and more information when I return.

Thanks,

Larry

I was planning to spend the night in Fairbanks if we get the flight out of there. What I wanted to know was a suggestion of what tours or adventures we might do either on our way to Fairbanks or in Fairbanks.

Also I just saw a tour on line that goes by land to the Arctic Circle. It leaves as 6am and doens't return until 11pm. They also have flight tours, but those are out of my budget. Can anyone tell me if this land tour is worth the 15 hours of driving??

Thanks

My opinion, there is no reason to go to Fairbanks unless you budget 2 nights there. There is plenty to see and do. http://www.explorefairbanks.com

But you are going to run into significant car rental costs, probably looking at triple a round trip Anchorage car. Only one way rentals that I know of are Avis and Thrifty.

Lastly- no a road Arctic Circle trip is NOT worth all the time. Essentially , you go get your photo in front of a sign. Doing the Dalton Highway ONE WAY is my only recommendation for a day trip with a one way flight in/out of Coldfoot.

Thanks BQ, I was looking to go to Fairbanks because it would be shorter drive from Denali. You are very correct about the one way rental car costing a lot more and I will now design the trip to end in Anchorage...

Thanks,

Larry

Another resourse for anyone traveling to Alaska is Alaska Magazine. If you are going next year, subscribe to the magazine. Otherwise, if you are going soon, they have a website alaskamagazine.com Years ago (about 35) one of my dreams was to go to Alaska to live. I never made it but I subscribed to Alaska Magazine for about 4 or 5 years and lived vicariously through their pages. I really thought it was a very worthwhile publication.

Well, mine may not be the best post to read on this subject since I have not been on any of the other Princess ships, but I just returned home after being on the Sapphire for 8 days and LOVED it. This was my 5th cruise and the biggest ship thus far. I agree with other readers that no matter which ship you choose, you will have a GREAT time. Look into what ports are visited and what tours are available. I would go more by that.

Thanks Arlene. I'm out of town right now and will post the tour information when I return home tomorrow night or Friday. The tours were all private tours and were the best I've ever been on in 15 cruises to the caribbean. We used Echoadventure tours in Antigua, Herods Tours in St. Lucia and Silvermoon Catermaran in Barbados. I will give you the websites and more information when I return.

Thanks,

Larry

Hi Larry:

I found Herods Tours and Silvermoon Tours on the internet. Both tours look great. Which tours did you book on both tours, particularly with Herods? They both have a few to choose from. Also, from reading posts I have discovered there are many tours in Barbados to swim and snorkel with the turtles and they are shorter and cost a lot less than Silvermoon. Did you book Silvermoon for any particular reason?

Thanks for any information.

Regards,

Arlene

Archived