Shopping in Alaska

naturalized texan

We just returned from our Alaska cruise (5/26 departure on the Mercury) and were very excited upon hearing the ship's shopping coordinator say that Alaska was the outlet for the Caribbean jewelry stores. Imagine our surprise upon seeing the same Majorca pearls available at Touch of Gold in Cozumel for $1/inch in Touch of Gold in Ketchikan for $1.95/inch. This doesn't sound like an outlet to me.

Has anyone else had the same thing happen to them?

We just returned from our Alaska cruise (5/26 departure on the Mercury) and were very excited upon hearing the ship's shopping coordinator say that Alaska was the outlet for the Caribbean jewelry stores. Imagine our surprise upon seeing the same Majorca pearls available at Touch of Gold in Cozumel for $1/inch in Touch of Gold in Ketchikan for $1.95/inch. This doesn't sound like an outlet to me.

Has anyone else had the same thing happen to them?

Wonder if the term "outlet" means much less expensive than normally priced in the US .... that is a possibility.

for these jewelry companies. They pack up and leave in September, and head for greener pastures down south. Some places, such as Ketchikan, look like a ghost town with all the empty boarded up buildings.

The ships recommend them, because they take a fee to do so.

We spent our free time in Juneau chatting with some locals in a little bar next to the Taku launch area. It became quickly obvious that the shopping there was a total tourist trap. We live near a mountian tourist area, and most of the merchandise was identical and MORE expensive. The guys we talked to explained that even most of the workers from the shops along the pier were cruiseline employees imported only for cruise season. the whole strip closes when the season is over.

Prince Rupert had fewer shops but were wonderful Watching local Native carvers was fascinating and learning that they profit from their craft sold in the shop appeased my desire for a piece of "real" alaska to take home. Even Sitka was less touristy, although it was beginning to develop that flavor. It was still a lovely little town. My favorite shopping was at the Eagle Rehab shop. I felt good about the profits going to their efforts. I was thrilled to find a hand made ceramic whale tail hotplate, signed by what i figured was a local. Imagine my delight to discover the "artist" was also the Vet at the center. That's my idea of a souvenir!

Jewlery.....well if you shop the Internet.........the prices in Alaska were far too high for the goods offered. Anyone ever see those color changing gems or Ammolite anywhere else in the world?......... Makes me wonder

for these jewelry companies. They pack up and leave in September, and head for greener pastures down south. Some places, such as Ketchikan, look like a ghost town with all the empty boarded up buildings.

The ships recommend them, because they take a fee to do so.

And that fee is extremely high, I might add. The higher the fee paid to the cruise lines, the higher the store is rated by the ship's port consultants.

Dianne

We have cruised to Alaska three times and had a great time on each cruise. But, we don't cruise there for the shopping. We cruise there for its beauty. If you want good shopping, don't pick Alaska.

Keith

The shopping is the same as "tour" shopping anywhere in the world. I never go to where the tour company or cruise ship tells you to go, because I know they get a "cut" of the sale and therefore is not the best price. However, from what I've been told, it's where you get a "guaranty" that it's "real" gold, silver, whatever. My advice is always to buy something that is designed by a "local" or something that you know you will not find anywhere else. Something that says "Alaska". If you want just jewelry that you can buy anywhere else, then buy it anywhere else and don't waste your precious touring time shopping. There is too much to see and do while on vacation than to spend it on shopping for "deals":)

I love to bring back gifts for my first visit to a location. The next time it's all about me. Anyway, my favs are calendars, notepads, and post-it notes. In Hawaii, I buy them for a $1 and 2/$1.

Can I expect to find similar items in AK?

I will be visiting Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway.

Thanks

I'm having such a hard time picturing this. The last (and only) time I have been to Alaska was 26 years ago. The ports were all so quaint with only local stores. We were the only ship in any of the ports (the o-l-d Sun Princess...we went before "Love Boat" did...I remember thinking that was soooo cool!).

We got wonderful souvenirs sold directly from the craftsmen. I just can't imagine walking through town and seeing a Diamonds International...or, even worse, a WalMart.

I really need to start noting the local places to go for souvenirs. I'm definitely going to avoid the "ship shops". NOT Alaska in my mind...or heart.

The one piece of jewelry that I am already saving for is a Polar Bear diamond up in Fairbanks. But that will be from a local jeweler.

I love to bring back gifts for my first visit to a location. The next time it's all about me. Anyway, my favs are calendars, notepads, and post-it notes. In Hawaii, I buy them for a $1 and 2/$1.

Can I expect to find similar items in AK?

I will be visiting Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway.

Thanks

We have marvelous Alaska souvenirs including the ones you mention.

Figurines, totem poles, dolls,mugs, stuffed animals, hats, shirts, etc, and other items just like you find in Hawaii. Alaska scrapbooking is also big here.

In Southeast Alaska, good places to check out include Tongass Trading and Wal-mart in Ketchikan, Timberwolf in Juneau, among others.

The one piece of jewelry that I am already saving for is a Polar Bear diamond up in Fairbanks. But that will be from a local jeweler.

You do know that Polar Bear diamonds are from Canada, do you? (it's a Canadian trademark).

Murray

Jewlery.....well if you shop the Internet.........the prices in Alaska were far too high for the goods offered. Anyone ever see those color changing gems or Ammolite anywhere else in the world?......... Makes me wonder

It's funny that you mentioned the Ammolite ... when we were on the Carnival Spirit in Jan they were really pushing this stone. Had a huge display of it on board the ship, ran some specials too. Also found it in Acapulco. I had never heard of it before. It was pretty, but we passed.

It's funny that you mentioned the Ammolite ... when we were on the Carnival Spirit in Jan they were really pushing this stone. Had a huge display of it on board the ship, ran some specials too. Also found it in Acapulco. I had never heard of it before. It was pretty, but we passed.

Another Canadian gem - mined only in Alberta.

Murray

The key to all of this is to buy those items that you want to give to others or you want to keep for yourself for nice memories of your trip to Alaska. But, don't expect to buy things such as jewelry thinking that you are saving lots of money over prices in the continental US or elsewhere because that is not what Alaska is all about. Now, if you want to get certain items at low prices, book the last cruise to Alaska at the end of the season as most stores will close or downsize when the cruiseing season ends so they will run sales.

For us, the items that we purchased in Alaska serve a reminders to us about the beautiful areas that we visited in this outstanding area of the world.

Keith

There are definitely some shops in Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway that are not "ship shops". Twice we have cruised to AK on the 2nd to last cruise of the season (mid September) and especially in Skagway there were amazing bargains.

We usually attend the port talks at least once on a cruise, just in case there is something new to find out, but beware: these port talks are mostly about trumpeting those businesses that PAY to be talked about.

One store that I will give an exception to is Del Sol. I love their stuff! And yes, I know they also pay a fee to be talked about, but we don't have any Del Sol stores in Seattle, so I act like any other silly tourist and go into their store and buy lots of stuff!:p

Have fun!

Hikini

You do know that Polar Bear diamonds are from Canada, do you? (it's a Canadian trademark).

Murray

Yep! Hadn't even heard of these until I read your mention of them on another thread, Murray. Went out to their site and have been in contact with them. When they asked how I heard of them, I told that from you on the CC website!

I always get at least one good piece of jewelry from each trip. Every day I wear something that reminds me of being somewhere and the memories of that place/trip. I had been considering a blue stone in honor of the blue glacier ice. But, I just got an incredible aquamarine in Antigua (from my favorite jeweler in the whole wide world!) so I was looking for something else...I figure "ice" is a good remembrance of Alaska.

Archived