The most hotly contested question in the history of Seabourn Trivia

cruisr

Hi all,

Well, it almost ended in another revolution. This time it was not an American Revolution but a British Revolution. It was the talk, and the arguement of the ship. Legal Cruiser will attest to this.

SO, what was the question that caused so much controversy and verbal assaults (in only the most proper of ways) directed at me?

The question that David E posed was: Who was the first queen to reign in England. Three of the four teams answered incorrectly (BTW there were quite a number of Brits and Aussies on those teams). My team answered correctly (even though my dear friends Legal Cruiser and Katherine doubted me) and WE won trivia for the day and for the next time and then of course, we were the champs of the cruise.

While I was strolling the deck with my prize (a lovely stuffed bull wearing a Seabourn tee shirt) I was told, in no uncertain terms, by a little lady from England, that I was WRONG, David was Wrong and the answer book was Wrong. Apparently she did not want to believe me but after a bit of a history lesson her husband at least conceded that their "American friend" may actually be correct. She never conceded though.

It was all good fun and got a lot of laughs though I must say it is amazing what some people will do for a key chain or a book mark....A stuffed animal though is definatly cause for such competitiveness.

BTW, I have not given the correct answer here. So, fellow Seabourn sailors, what is the correct answer and no googling for the answer......

Bon voyage.

Good guess, but no. She was actually in Roman times and there is a great statue of her across from the Parliment building in London. That's back in the day when it was Brittania and Londonium (I know I am spelling that wrong)

My guess would be Elizabeth 1....but maybe Mary? Trivia caused lots of arguments on our cruise...some people were just too serious...dont think I will play next time.......only prize I wanted was the mousepad......didnt win one, but a man on another team didnt want his, so gave it to me.....thats easier than playing!

Cruisr,

May I ask what cruise and tyriplet you were on? The most comptetitive "bloodsport for bookmarks" I have experienced on Seabourn has been on the Trans-Atlantic crossings where we have 10 at-sea days of cutthroat competition with over half of the pasengers onboard! :eek: :D In the end, we all applaud the winners and the entire Trivia company goes down the forward staircase en mass to attend the Galley Market Buffet Lunch in the Restaurant and we all kiss and make up ready to go at it again the next crossing! :D

On my last crossing in Nov. 2005 on the Legend, CD Eric deGray would allow answers different than the book had if a copy of an encyclopedia or google print-out is provided. We all accepted those answers as well as the book answer.

Congratulations on your win! For the crossings (on the Legend at least), the grand prize is the most coveted Seabourn felt-lined mahogany box.

I have just returned (reluctantly I might add) from the May 27 Seabourn Spirit. We went from Istanbul to Venice.

I would LOVE to be on one of the crossings. I love Trivia and I would be very happy to have trivia everyday (that's one of the things I loved about the QE2 and QM2).

Bon voyage

PS As an aside, definatly get up to Two (Verandah) The tasting menus are just amazing. To see Chef Markus at work is great.

I love the spirit in which trivia is played on board. I have never won but admit to being given bags and the box by passengers who could not fit these prizes into thier luggage.

My guess at the question would be Jane Grey although I'm not sure she was crowned. Otherwise it would be Mary perhaps. I now have to know, so do please tell.

What about Henry I's daughter, Matilda? :confused:

And to start another debate, name the first Queen Regnant of Denmark, who actually was legally Queen.

The first queen to reign in her own right was Mary I (House of Tudor).

Now, that was for England.

But was the question posed as England... or Great Britain??

The answer changes!

In general, how carefully do they word the questions? For instance, our current question - was it asked, "Who was the first ruling Queen of England?" or was it "First queen of England" or "First Queen of Great Britain" "First CROWNED Queen Regnant of England" etc...

It's all in the wording...

Like asking someone, "Where are you from?"

Do you mean where I live now? Or where I was born? Or which country? etc...

Hi all,

If I can remember the question that was asked correctly it was, "Who was the first woman to reign in her own right as Queen of England".

I actually started with Mathilda (very good Thulewx) who was Henry l daughter and was deposed by Stephen. She was not recognized by all pf England and so if effect did not reign in England.

I then mentioned Lady Jane Grey, great-niece of Henry VIII. She was only recognized as Queen by two towns in England and so she reigned those two towns for 9 days. Again, not recognized by all of England.

And the WINNER is: Mary Tudor, otherwise known as Bloody Mary. She was the daughter of Henry VIII and his first wife, Catherine of Aragon. Mary reigned for 5 years and was followed as Queen by her half sister Elizabeth I.

Bon voyage

Thank you Cruisr. My thinking was not helped by misreading your answer to CAShipman!! I were trying to think of somebody before Boudicca!! As a matter of interest what was the answer that some of the English gave that gave rise to the dispute?

No stuffed toy for us Joolsb! That question got my grey cells working, thanks for posting it cruisr. I just hope they ask that one on my next cruise in March!

Archived