Anyone had any good experiences with transfers?

ngl116

I have read in a few different threads that purchasing your transfers (from airport to ship and back) thru the cruise lines that you are made to wait, then are hearded like cattle to a distant parking lot where you get to wait some more! Is this true, or are there some out there who have had good experiences with the transfers?

Thanks!

I have read in a few different threads that purchasing your transfers (from airport to ship and back) thru the cruise lines that you are made to wait, then are hearded like cattle to a distant parking lot where you get to wait some more! Is this true, or are there some out there who have had good experiences with the transfers?

Thanks!

My experience was with RCI, but we were right there with people from Carnival. I LOVED it! This was Port Canaveral, and yes... we waited for about 30 minutes, we went by bus, and were let off right in front of the terminal. It was lovely!!!! Now, that is the only time I have used it... but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again at a different port, if the research supported it.

I have used the transfer from Orlando to Port Canaveral. It is very convenient. You are picked up in the airport and taken straight to the Port. The downside is the waiting. We waited in the airport for about 2 hours until our name was called. It is first come, first served. Coming back was not as bad.

Thanks!

All in all, the transfers are very convenient. There usually is somewhat of a wait. These are not private transfers so the cruise meet-greet people wait for others who are arriving. They have the airline schedule/arrival time of each and must wait on them. It simply is not a problem if you know of it before you arrive. Just get a good book and settle in. You are on vacation now! Enjoy!

I used the Port of Miami/MIA transfer round-trip in February. When I arrived at MIA and claimed my luggage, the bus was right in front of the terminal, and coming back, they dropped me right in front as well. I had no problem with them at all.

I don't know how things were in your home on Xmas morning but in mine we had to wait until all 5 children were lined up at the top of the stairs & my parents were ready with camera & video. This to me took an endless amount of time !!!

Well when I go on a cruise, (I've only been on two :mad: ) it's like Xmas morning to me & no one is going to make me wait ! Seriously, I think it's ones personal preference. I like to get to the ship as soon as possible even though I know I could end up waiting in line.

P.S. I torture my children on Xmas morning the same way my parents tortured me :) !!!

Anyone transfer in TPA???

I've done the return transfer at Tampa. We were some of the last off the ship and immediately directed to the buses. It was at most 30 minutes from the time we found our luggage until we arrived at the airport. Pretty simple for us.

If you are flying in the day before, consider renting a car for a day. Some rental agencies will provide free shuttle to and from the port if you rent a car through them. We knew about the shuttle to the port from the agency. I wish we had known the shuttle would pick us up when we returned. It would have saved us almost $80 for four people.

We used the transfers and the getting to the terminal went really well. While we were waiting we got to meet some of the people that were going on our ship plus the ship's next to ours. I really enjoyed it. DS thought it was cool too.

Now the getting back to the airport wasn't as pleasant. We were made to stand outside and it was cold and all we had on were shorts and T-Shirts. But I'd use them again, but would probably be a little more 'prepared' coming back.

I've also done the Carnival transfers from Orlando to Port Canaveral (twice) and I thought they were terrific. True, one has to wait until the bus is full (in both cases it took maybe 15 minutes), but conversation or a chapter in a book would do fine for this "slight" delay.

Having just gotten off a "redeye" from LAX, some might understand that I enjoyed the ride so much, I was so comfortable, I fell asleep on the one hour transfer to the port ! :eek:

We were let off right in front of the terminal and no need to tip porters as the luggage was taken directly from the cargo bay of the bus and thrown directly into a forklifted cage 2 feet away. I gave the driver a buck ! ! :confused:

I've done the transfers in Miami, FLL, Port Canaveral, SJU and Rome. The only time I had to 'wait' was when the buses in Miami had been diverted for the Dolphins game trade. All others have been very smooth and easy. If you're traveling in a larger group, it's probably cheaper and faster to prearrange a van or limo service Traveling in Ones, Twos and Threes, it's not going to be very cost effective to get a limo/van. In Rome, a limo/taxi would have cost me $$$ to get to the ship. Don't forget to check, if doing a pre or post cruise excursion, sometimes the transfers are already included in package.

DH and I used cruise ship transfers in Puerto Rico to the hotel we stayed at overnight and then they picked us back up and brought us to the port. It worked out fine. A little bit of waiting but I felt good about it because they knew what they were doing and I wasn't.

Our group of about 40 - 50 will be using transfers for our cruise in February to Port Canaveral....

We had a late arrival in Orlando and without the transfer might have missed the boat. Definitely took the stress out of the situation. We knew they weren't going to leave without us. I don't know how common this is (as this is the only time we've used the transfers) but they had 3 carnival employees on the bus processing our paperwork so when we got to the pier all we had to do was pick up our card and get on the ship.

Cheers!

We used it from Orlando last year to PC and it was great. We waited a few minutes, but enjoyed the scenery and watching all the kids getting on the Disney busses that we didn't mind the wait. And the trip on the bus was great! We are going to do it again this year.

We used the transfer from MIA to the Pier with a group of 14 people and did not have any problems with this...not a very long wait and the luggage was placed in the appropriate bin. This was extremely nice as we had our 2 daughters with us ages 3 and 9.

Out of 4 cruises, we have used Transfers on all (2 direct to the pier, 2 to hotel-pier the next day), and have never had an issue. It is kind of nice hopping on a bus and not having to worry about trying to figure out how to get to the pier.

Transfers are just great for us.. In Houston (transfering to Galveston) we had about an hour wait.. which was just fine.. it gave us time to pee, and let the kids blow off some steam.. they just ran around playing with a ball (that DS packed).. One of the RCI greeters actually picked up the ball and played with them while we cycling thru the restroom..

We won't use transfers our next trip, because we are driving down. But if there is a option.. it's a no brainer for us.. Transfers all the way..

Thanks!

We got 2 transfer tickets from the Pursers Desk on the Valor, they cost 12.00 each. The buses are outside of the Terminal, they are Air Condition and the wait is until the bus is full, they fill up fast. Longest wait I guess would be 20 minutes in the bus.

We've often used one way transfers from Miami to FLL airport. Our last cruise, it was a mess! We waited over an hour for a bus to even get there and when it did many people were pushing and screaming to get on it. It was a very hot day and that didn't help at all. I'm not sure what the problem was, but there just weren't enough busses to get everyone out of the port in a timely manner.

kitty

You have the good and the bad. If your airport and port or hotel are 45 to 1 hr away use the transfer. If not use a taxi. We have always been charged $35 ea for a transfer. Just know where you are going and how far and the costs. You can find it all on the internet. Most of the time its cheaper for a taxi and you don't have to waite for a bus and be with alot of other people. Also how many people are in your party. This works good for 2. Do your homework, we have been out of just about all the ports but we always go the day before and get a hotel close to the ports.

Archived