How many pairs of shoes

DWH

1st cruise leaving on our honeymoon this sunday

I have water shoes for cavetubing tennis shoes, and flip flops. I dont want to bring dress shoes just for the stupid formal night?

I'm a guy I already feel dumb bringing 3 pairs:cool:

I don't think that any of those shoes seem appropriate for dinner any night, and especially not for formal night.

My husband brings dress shoes for formal night, a paid of black/brown combination loafers for other evenings and walking around town, leather Teva sandals and, sometimes, water shoes.

I could skip the tennis shoes and just bring the birkenstocks, but total that is still 4 although 3 are sandal/watershoe types

There is no getting around it DWH - if you want to have all of your bases covered you are going to need to pack more shoes that you really want to. If you are planning on dining in the main dining room, especially on the formal nights you will need a pair of dress shoes. If you are going to do any extended amount of walking, tennis shoes are definitely a good choice. Since you are from Detroit, I can't imagine that you live in flip flops all year round so your feet are probably used to and require a fair amount of support if you are on your feet for an extended amount of time. The flip flops are great for going back and forth to the pools on-board or if you are heading to a beach and really they don't take up much room to pack. I suppose if your water shoes were sandal type you could drop the flip flops and just go with those or get a combo, water-shoe/hiking shoe at REI?

My husband hates packing so many shoes too but it's just something he has to deal with. Really though you're only packing 3 because you'll wear one on the plane. ;)

You will feel odd eating in the dining room in flip flops. I would just break down and take the extra shoes. We took four pair for my husband (Sandals, tennis shoes, dress shoes, water shoes) and he says that did not make him feel at all like he was whipped (he's standing right here while I type this).

thanks everyone.. My real issue is that I only wanted ot take carry-on's. One for the wife, and one for me with maybe a small duffle bag. We have not pakced yet, but we may just need to break down and check a bag at the airport.

thanks everyone.. My real issue is that I only wanted ot take carry-on's. One for the wife, and one for me with maybe a small duffle bag. We have not pakced yet, but we may just need to break down and check a bag at the airport.

For the dressier shoes you probably will have to check a bag. You can eat in an alternative dining area with the carry ons though. I know there are people on the boards who have done it.

If your not planning on going to the dinning room at all. Then tennis shoes are fine. But I wouldn't wear tennis shoes to the dinning room or on formal night.

My husband and I don't bring a lot of clothes. He brings his running shoes, scandels, and dress shoes. I bring 3 different types of shoes also. Really you only have to pack two pairs since one you will be wearing on the ship. Thats how we do it.

if you do not want to take as many pairs, you can rent water shoes at the cave tubing site. Or if Belize is towards the end of your cruise, you could take old sneakers ans wear them cave tubing.

Just wait til you've been married for awhile and your wife does your packing! :D

For my husband, I pack his running shoes (we use the workout center, so that's a necessity), his water shoes, a crummy pair of flip flops, and a pair of dress shoes. He wears his loafers on board. I asked him if he wanted to wear his dress shoes every night for dinner, but he doesn't find them comfortable enough.

In my opinion, if you had to forego something, I'd say leave the flip flops, and wear your running shoes when you travel. Then you'll only have to pack two pairs - water shoes and dress shoes. Or buy a $10 pair of flip flops and treat them as throwaways.

This is my 3rd cruise. I always take dress shoes, sneakers, water shoes, and Tevas. Yes I feel dumb taking 4 pairs but I can't see dropping one or more and getting by. I suppose I could drop the watershoes and just go with the Tevas though.

I wear the dress shoes every night for dinner in the dining room.

We have been married 31 years and my DH is STILL waiting!:eek:

Amen to that! One of the funniest and most true TV shows I've ever seen is the Everybody Loves Raymond episode about the suitcase no one will put away.

Gotta say 31 years is a wonderful accomplishment.

Thank you! :D And it is the 2nd marriage for each of us!

So you married the first time at what? Ten??

Yeah, I'm on number two, but we're thirteen years into it and too lazy to stay mad at one another long enough to divorce. Besides, I actually like the guy. Love goes a long way and I do love him to pieces, but love won't laugh when the dog drinks out of the toilet seat he left up for the billionth time :) For that you need like.

So you married the first time at what? Ten??

Yeah, I'm on number two, but we're thirteen years into it and too lazy to stay mad at one another long enough to divorce. Besides, I actually like the guy. Love goes a long way and I do love him to pieces, but love won't laugh when the dog drinks out of the toilet seat he left up for the billionth time :) For that you need like.

I say I married my first husband, had the children, divorced him, and then married my REAL husband! HE is the one who helped me raise 3 wonderful daughters. I say I will never divorce him. If it gets that bad, I will just stay married to him and make his life miserable!!:D After living in a house with 4 women, he does put the seat down on the toilet! So, I guess I don't have to like him! :D JK.

Aren't you the only female in your house? I am sure you are working on those boys to teach them to put the seat down!

I say I married my first husband, had the children, divorced him, and then married my REAL husband! HE is the one who helped me raise 3 wonderful daughters. I say I will never divorce him. If it gets that bad, I will just stay married to him and make his life miserable!!:D After living in a house with 4 women, he does put the seat down on the toilet! So, I guess I don't have to like him! :D JK.

Aren't you the only female in your house? I am sure you are working on those boys to teach them to put the seat down!

WOW! Yep I am the ONLY female in the house. The dog drinks out of the toilet if we leave the seat up so the punishment is you have to bursh her teeth if she drinks out of it. She whines and carries on so when her teeth are brushed they all put the seat down. Creative punishment for fun. Gotta love it.

I dream about being in a house with girls. I'd love a daughter. We're talking about it on and off. We'll adopt again rather than risk another early birth. Plus I love my babies, but the older ones are so much fun. I'd love to adopt an older girl. The boys love the idea too.

It's your honeymoon - you will only get this one chnace to enjoy this very special vacation!

You could always wear a pair of dressier shoes, and pack the flip flops / water shoes etc. You don't want to get on board and wish you'd bought the shoes so you can enjoy dinner in the restaurant with your bride!

Go on...she'll love you even more for making the effort!!

I'm all for traveling light and not struggling with extra luggage but the truth is you will look out of place and maybe feel out of place in the elegant dining room without dressier shoes, most especially on formal nights.

I will propose this alternative. You can skip meals in the dining room and eat in the more casual Windjammer at night. It is very quiet and peaceful then. The waiters have time to talk. You can order wine. Few people are there. I prefer the Windjammer myself.

But it is your honeymoon. Your new wife might really, really enjoy the elegance of the dining room experience at least a few times. Or if you choose alternative dining in Portofinos or Chops, you will also need classier shoes, but your new wife might enjoy those elegant and romantic restaurants, too.

By the way, congratulations on your marriage. Have a wonderful, unforgetable cruise.

If you are cruising on Norwegian Cruise Line you don't need dress shoes. There is Freestyle Dining and you never have to dress up. The only things you can't wear to the dining room in the evening are: Jeans, shorts and T-shirts. I imagine that you will not wear a suit so tennis shoes are OK with casual pants.

I think I might be at 5 pairs. Which could possibly be more than my wife takes with her.

Flip Flops

Water Shoes

Dress Shoes- Brown

Dress Shoes - Black

Sneakers

The way I see it, one of these pairs will be worn while traveling. Probably the sneakers. The water shoes do not take up a lot of space. One pair of dress shoes will be in a garment bag that we travel with. So that leaves the flip flops and the other pair of dress shoes to go in my other piece of luggage. Shouldn't be a problem. What can I say, I like having several shoe options available to me.

Archived