Problem with Hal Reps Regarding Documents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (new thread title)

QueenYaYah

However, I think that you missed my point. I understand computer problems, I am upset with the run around and double talk that I've been getting from HAL reps. We are scheduled to fly out on Friday 6-16-2006 at 7:45 am from Dallas, Texas (approx. 3 hours from our home). I've already checked the DHL website this morning and guess what? Docs were NOT shipped out yesterday for delivery today. So based on that, HAL has exactly 3 business days to get the docs shipped overnight so that we have them before we leave.

Hi Queen Ya Yah,

My post only addressed twoatseas puzzlement over why he got his docs and you didn't.

I know exactly what you mean about the double talk and run around. This should not happen. Your complaint is more than valid. If the computer has a problems, someones still should be handling your situation.

OT - Bank conversions are so much fun aren't they ? :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the posts!

And yes, I also think that my original title post is now in hindsight a little harsh. So, if anyone can tell me if there is a way to edit my title, I'd like to do so.

Thanks for all your support!

I changed it just a tad...

Next time, if I were you, I'd use a TA, they should be doing all this, not you.

The documents will arrive sooner without a TA. Docs for our April cruise arrived one week before sailing. We'd have had them a couple of days earlier if they'd been sent directly from HAL to us.

Still the pros of using a TA outweigh the few disadvantages. TAs do know when to get concerned and start calling, who to call, and when & how often to call again.

I agree with Jean here, that has never been my experience. I always book with my local TA, I have my documents anywhere between 4 - 6 weeks before sailing AND if I have a problem, she's the one I call.

The latest we've ever gotten our documents was 4 weeks before the cruise. Last 3 cruises have been booked through Internet based TA's and have received documents either by carrier or e-docs 5-6 weeks out.

HI - just popped in on this thread - been lurking for awhile. I live in Calgary and travel to Vancouver a lot (an awful lot) for work. The hotel you are staying at is BEEEEAAAUTIFUL!!! It is literally across the street from the cruise ship terminal. Your commute to downtown will take the better part of half an hour, depending on the time of day. Keep your eyes open - it's a wonderful city.

Next tip - don't get ripped off by those cheesy Canadian souvenirs in 'Gastown,' close to the hotel. The prices are outrageous. Use your camera for better souvenirs and do yourself a favour by talking a walk along the waterfront before you get onboard.

Thanks so much for the tips Frequent Flyer! I found out yesterday that we will be staying at the Fairmont Waterfront Pre-Cruise and at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver on the Post-Cruise. Any option on the later hotel. I understand that it is more historic but still very elegant.

Any tips on what we should do while in Vancouver?

Just to let everyone know. As of this afternoon, "Lisa" in the doc hotline department "is working on them". HAL's latest story is that the airline tickets had to be rerun on 6-5-06 and the cruise docs are being rerun today!!!!!!!! I'm getting VERRRRRRY TIRED of this HAL drama!

Thanks for the support. According to the latest HAL rep, she was emailing "Lisa" to let her know our preflight travel plans and to have doc package to me no later than MONDAY. We shall see!

I agree with Jean here, that has never been my experience. I always book with my local TA, I have my documents anywhere between 4 - 6 weeks before sailing AND if I have a problem, she's the one I call.

We've been on 7 HAL cruises; all booked with the same TA. For the first five, docs arrived about 4-6 weeks before the cruise. The last two times they have come 6-7 DAYs before the cruise. The last cruise we booked four months ahead and booked our own air and hotel - docs arrived 7 days before sailing.

When the docs were finally sent the went to the super agency* our TA's agency uses, then to our TA's agency, then to her, then to us. That took a couple of extra days even with overnighting. I wasn't even aware there was another agency involved until after we'd booked this cruise. Seems to be fairly common.

*my own term as I don't know what this would be called

We do our own air and hotels. We have yet to have documents arrive that late. We always get them 4 - 6 weeks ahead. If there is a problem with them - we let our TA take care of it.

If documents arrived a week before our cruises, we would be very upset (even though we know we can do everything on line) but we always leave at least 4 days before a cruise.

Thanks so much for the tips Frequent Flyer! I found out yesterday that we will be staying at the Fairmont Waterfront Pre-Cruise and at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver on the Post-Cruise. Any option on the later hotel. I understand that it is more historic but still very elegant.

Any tips on what we should do while in Vancouver?

Well - the two Fairmont Hotels are about 3-4 blocks from each other in downtown Vancouver, so you'll already know the area.

As for tips - DEFINITELY have a cab take you to Granville Island. granville Island is just underneath one of the downtown bridges and is home to the Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design, the Granville Island Market (where all the locals go for fresh produce) and home to tons and tons of artisans. If you're lucky, you might even catch a live play. But, I would ask the concierge at the Fairmont if you can catch a boat from the terminal area that will take you across the harbour/inlet to Granville Island.

Ask someone to direct you to Yaletown. It's a trendy little downtown neighbourhood on the waterfront (there are many waterfronts) that used to be low industrial warehouses. Besides the wonderful food, the people watching is spectacular. Also close to Yaletown in Vacnovuer Public Library and stunning example of Moshe Safdie's Architecture, modelled after the Roman Colliseum.

A must do is the Capilano Suspension Bridge. You'll need to arrange a cab, or rent a car, or perhaps the hotel concierge can help you out on getting there.

Here are two websites to look at: (I like the first one better)

http://www.hellobc.com/en-CA/RegionsCities/Vancouver.htm

http://www.vancouver.com/index.htm

Good luck with those travel documents. However, like others have said, many people have shown up with very little paperwork in hand. It's the air travel...

If you know the airline you're travelling with, call them up and ask if you have reserved seats. Since most airlines done't require paper tickets anymore, you'll just need you passport as identification and away you go!

I have just returned from the local DHL office and I HAVE OUR DOCUMENTS IN MY HOT LITTLE HANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let my Texas version of the document dance begin!!!!!

Thanks to all for your sympathy - CC members are the greatest!

I have just returned from the local DHL office and I HAVE OUR DOCUMENTS IN MY HOT LITTLE HANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let my Texas version of the document dance begin!!!!!!

Congratulations! Have a great cruise. Please do a review when you get back and tell us how much you loved it. So glad this ended well for you.

Robin

I have just returned from the local DHL office and I HAVE OUR DOCUMENTS IN MY HOT LITTLE HANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let my Texas version of the document dance begin!!!!!

Thanks to all for your sympathy - CC members are the greatest!

Oh thank goodness, Queen Yah Yah; I have been following your saga with "bated breath". I am so relieved for you:) Enjoy your well-deserved cruise!

My 25th wedding anniversary cruise is looking less and less likely as the days go by.

Relax. If worse comes to worse, just go on the HAL website (or have your TA do it), fill out the immigration and disembarkation questionnaires, and then you'll get the option of printing out your express boarding pass. There really is no need for mailed documents.

When I took my Celebrity cruise last December, I received zilch in the mail in the way of documents. Everything was done online, and it was one of the easiest embarkations I have ever been through.

If you honestly think about ... paper documents are really the way of the past. Everything is done electronically these days. When was the last time you can remember receiving paper tickets for an airplane flight?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived