Scandinavian Cruise Experiences?

sunny fla

We're thinking about booking a Scandinavian cruise sometime/anytime in 2007. Can anyone provide recommendations on time of year to go - what ports are a "must" - shore excursions not to be missed - etc? Thanks much!

I posted a reply to this thread several minutes ago, but it seems it didn't go through. If two posts show up, I apologize.

We did this cruise with Royal Caribbean two years ago in July. It was the best cruise we have taken so far. We went to St. Petersburg for two days, Tallinn, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Oslo, and Helsinki. Other than St. Petersburg, which is in a class unto itself, I think Tallinn was my favorite port. Helsinki was my least favorite. We took a ship excursion in Tallinn, and it was a good one, but if I had it to do again, I would go on my own. We went on our own in Copenhagen and am glad we did, and other than a brief morning ship excursion in Stockholm, we did that on our own as well. We hired a private tour in St. Petersburg. That was an excellent experience. We took ship excursions in Helsinki and Oslo, and I'm not sorry we did that.

We thought July was an excellent time to go. The weather was in the 60's and 70's throughout the cruise. That was a very pleasant contrast to the 90+ temps and 90+ humidity we have here in Virginia that time of year.:p We lucked out, I guess, because other than a brief shower in Copenhagen we had sunny weather the whole time. That is not necessarily the case, no matter when you go.

I would do that itinerary again. Many people who were on our cruise were doing it for the second or third time, so that tells you something. There is a lot to see.

Hi,

I'm afraid that summer European weather can be very hit & miss and Scandinavian weather in particular.

I went the first 2 weeks in June (03) and it was very nice weather. If you had gone these same 2 weeks this year the weather right now here in the UK is absolutely glorious & hot. Also going at this time of year you have the added benefit of "light nights" where it doesn't go dark until midnight and is light again by 3am.

"must do's" are The Hermitage and the Peterhof Gardens in St Petersburg and the Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen. Apart from St Petersburg all the other places usually on a Baltic Itinerary i.e. Oslo, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki and Tallinn are very compact cities and therefore very "doable" on your own without the need for official shore excursions.

The hop on/hop off buses are great for taking in all the sights and very good value.

We just did 10 days Baltic on Star Princess. Had a great time. Weather was so-so, but I guess that week was not even good in Tascany, which is always fantastic end of May. All ports were interesting. For some of them we did not have enough time. We tour most of the places by ourselves. It is quite easy to do.

Have a great cruise.

We have been to Scandinavia three times:

1st, with NCL, into the Baltic, 5-99, including the wonderful Kiel Canal. Great trip, but not wild about the ship, Norwegian Dream.

2nd, on the coastal ferry system, on Nordnorge, 7-00. Great trip, included Finland and Arctic Circle. Ship, a working ferry, came close to cruise ship standards.

3rd, with Oceania, on Regatta into the Baltic, 8-85, also included Kiel Canal. Perhaps the best food we have had in 30+ cruises, and loved the small ship experience (ship is a sister to Tahitian, new Pacific, and soon to be new Royal Princess).

Being of Scandinavian heritage, I love that part of Europe, personally preferring it to the Med.

We did a 12-day Baltic cruise on Jewel of the Seas (RCI) last July 2-14. Fabulous ship and great ports (Oslo, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, St. Petersburg, and Talinn). We were told that our cruise was the first one that had great weather...it had been chilly and rainy the previous 2 cruises. We had a private tour in St. Petersburg through DenRus for our group of 6 - and that was certainly a highlight. In the other ports, my Rick Steves' Scandinavia book was a great help. I highly recommend getting the "city passes" for Oslo (especially), Copenhagen, and Stockholm.

We are taking the Sea Princess Scandinavia-Roundtrip from London July 14/07. It goes from Southampton, Amsterdam, at sea, Oslo, Copenhagen, Helsingborg, at sea, Southampton. There is only 1 cruise a year.

I would recommend an itinerary that includes the Kiel Canal. It is awesome. We did this on the Dream in 2004 and the Kiel Canal was one of the highlights. We did not have any problems with the ship, either. I am just now scrapbooking this trip and all the memories are coming back. This was a wonderful trip. You will love the Scandinavian itinerary, no matter which ship you are on.

Sue

Archived