Alaska Cruise - Westerdam?

Newfies

HELP!!! We need experts' advice on our cruise ship selection . . . We want to go to Alaska. This is a special vacation - for my husband's 60th birthday, and we have a wonderful 10 year old. So we want a cruise that is going to be a fabulous experience for all three of us that we will cherish for a long time. And I have to ensure our 10-year old has a blast, also. But there are so many ships and so many things to compare . . . we're too much of a novice to intelligently decide. Our top five choices are HAL-Westerdam, RCCL-Serenade of the Seas, NCL-Norwegian Sun, Celebrity-Infinity, and Coral Princess. I've read various reviews, and the more I read the more I'm confused. We went on a Caribbean cruise on Carnival, and that is not the kind of cruise we want this time . . . Can one of you many experienced cruisers help us? Our time is running out . . . we need to book tomorrow. Thank you in advance!!!

Hope the HAL cheerleaders dont get mad at me, but here goes as objective a post as possible.

NCL might be the most fun for your son, with the most kids your son's age. My 14 yr old, at the time, loved NCL's program the best. It is very casual atmosphere, with optional anytime dining. Food is so-so. You would want to splurge on an AF stateroom or above to get the best room and service (butler service is wonderful on NCL suites). Great beds in those castegories too. Specialty restaurants have good food, extra charge.

A step up would be Coral Princess, probably next best for kids. It has formal nights. but still has anytime (personal choice) dining times or traditional. We love the mini-suites & great service. Have the Ultimate balcony dinner for you to celebrate your husbands birthday.

RCCL third for kids programs. JS stateroom would be nice and comfy.Food average. You get concierge service with GS and above staterooms.

But as you see, my 18 year old and I are booked on the Westerdam. The itinerary was our first choice, with the thought of great service, great food, great beds and the more formal atmosphere enticing. He doesnt need the kids programs anymore. Hope he meets some young adults his age on this cruise.

I guess you will just have to prioritize what is best for you.

Have cruised every line but Celebrity and have not had a "bad" cruise. Good luck with your decision

Give HAL a try - their Club HAL is amazing - my 10 year old daugther, along with my 12 & 13 year old sons, absolutely loved their program!!! They never wanted to leave and loved highlighting the activities they wanted to do each day on their personal iteneraries delivered to our room each night. Their favorite activities were the ship-wide scavenger hunt, Westerdam Survivor and bingo with HAL logo prizes just to name a few!! FUN!

My parents also went along (65 & 63) and equally enjoyed their vacation. The atmosphere is more of a traditional cruising experience - very little nightlife.

Whichever cruise line you end up going with I am postive you will have a wonderful time. Cruising together as a family is a blast!!! Enjoy!:)

We are going on the Westerdam on July 30th. My 10 year old daughter and 7 year old daughter will be on the cruise with us. When are you thinking of traveling?. I have heard wonderful things about the ship and on this sailing we are headed to Glacier Bay which is very nice. I would give HAL a try.

We're on the Westerdam in August with our 9 year old. Our only other experieces have been on Celebrity and she had a blast. In some ways at this age I think it's more the new friends and fun place to do things together. Hope you have a great time.

No matter which line you chose, Alaska is a wonderful experience for any child. the chance to see America's real last frontier. WOW I'd have given anything to have experienced it as a kid. We just returned from the Westerdam's May 28th sailing. Since most schools were still in session I was surprised at the number of children. All of them, various ages, seemed to be having the time of thier lives. We passed through club Hal on our way to the Crow's Nest, and were impressed at the happy laughter and various avenues of entertainment for kids.

I really paid attention, being a teacher. I expected to see some frowns or tantrums, or at least bored faces. Never saw a one of any of these. The kids seemed to meet new friends quickly, and the indoor pool area was always active. I'd bet with school letting out the numbers will increase.

The real key is to remember that while keeping them happy onboard is really only a small part of the trip. the ports and excursions are just wonderful! The kids on ours were fascinated and enthralled. On the float planes the pilots always offered the front seat to the kids flying with us.

Best of luck. what a great decision to have to make.

I also did a lot of research before choosing the Westerdam for our Alaska cruise in August. We have 2 daughters (15 and 13). I wanted good service and confort on board since Alaska is so far away and it's not as easy as going to the Caribbean. I couldn't do a sophisticated older clientel type of cruise because the girls would get bored. HAL vista class was the solution.

In this case, it ain't the ship but the destination. Alaska is God's country for everyone, especially a ten year old boy or girl.

HAL's S class ships do have an advantage with their large forward viewing decks.

Thank you so much, everybody! :) Truly appreciate your input, and so my husband, 10-year old son and I are going to be on the Westerdam . . . I hope to see some of you on the ship!

We also just returned from the Westerdam May 28th cruise. Our very first cruise was on her two years ago when she was brand new and the experience was so memorable that it converted us from "skeptical" to "SOLD!" cruisers! Happy to say she's still an absolutely beautiful ship, the service remains impeccable, the cabins are extremely comfortable (LOVE those beds!!), and IMHO, you can't go wrong! Good choice! :>)

Barb

Archived