Anyone Back From Century Yet?

PattyMichael

Sorry I didnt see that one I only saw Outside/Inside/Sky Suite/Conceierge Class and Penthouse.

Check out the Vista deck all the way at the bottom of the deck plan (the stern).

The FV normally cost about three times the price of an inside.:eek: But anyone who books them raves about them.

If you have just returned from the revitalized Century, can you answer the following for me? Have the hair dryers been replaced in the bathroom? If so, are they the same type or ones which actually dry your hair? Please reply asap. Many thanks. Feel foolish asking this question but just trying to limit my baggage weight and not carry my own heavy dryer.

Thanks "Abbafan" for the info re the hairdryers. You say they are now above the toilet. Silly question....is the cord long enough to reach to stand in front of the mirror and see what you are doing? Are they two speed dryers? Oh what we won't do for our hair!!!!

We were on the Century cruise from Barcelona, went on with high hopes having read such great reports, it was our first Celebrity cruise, only sailed with Princess before and we have to say it was a massive let down.

In our opinion the deck space is dire compared with Princess, if you did not want to sit round the pool, loud music, fries and burger smells, there were no alternatives, we went on the upper aft deck, rough surface, no chairs out about as much ambience as a supermarket car park, even the "old" Sun has fantastic deck space, more pools, quiet areas, this was our biggest down.

The food was nothing outstanding, yes the lobster was tough.

The captain was a joke!!

I know it was just out of dry dock but we still paid good money, the ship was a mess, dirty, rusty, did you notice all the blue paint on the filthy windows in the dining room.

Well as you can guess we will not be sailing Celebrity again, and if they just spent $50m on it what did it liik like before, we dread to think.

I know you all love Celebrity so happy sailings

We .. only sailed with Princess before and we have to say it was a massive let down.

How to be selective about what you want to read. I'm really sorry you were not pleased with your cruise... We did a B2B, 20 day stint on Princess Sun in Nov. 2004... we drew exactly the opposite conclusion and we have not been back to Princess since then.. We Cruised on Century in May 2005 for 4 weeks and it was one of our best cruise experiences ever.

Since we are now both happier with our choice of cruiselines the old adage still holds true:

One man’s meat is another man’s poison

cruiselover

They were charging $10 for a spinning class although I didn't notice if they removed the seats at other times!

Tourdecruise

The Persian Gardens are not free, you can buy a day pass or a cruise pass, I think it was about $18 for a day although I'm not certain.

Is the Persian Gardens free to Elite members like the T pool was?

Is the Persian Gardens free to Elite members like the T pool was?

I am not sure if it is free for Elite members, we have just moved up to the select level, although I am working on acheiving elite status!

Sivia

Yes, it was a 2 speed dryer and the bathroom mirror runs the entire length of the vanity area so you can sit on the toilet and dry your hair if you wish!!!! The dryer has a curly extension cord if you'd rather not!!

Have to say this is the second time we have met Captain Nicholas Pagonis on the Century and we found him to be charming and approachable.

Lisa

Have to say this is the second time we have met Captain Nicholas Pagonis on the Century and we found him to be charming and approachable.

Lisa

I agree totally. He has been the friendliest of the captains we have met on any ship. So many of the Greek captains have been reluctant to be seen .. or heard. Captain Pagonis speaks English well and was very visible while we were onboard last year.

• 2 weeks later...

On previous trips on Century and Mercury we have always ended up spending much of our time sitting at a table on the back of deck 11 with a cup of tea and book, and frequently took our breakfast tray out there as well. Now that this area is the "Sunset Bar" is it still available as an open seating area during the day, and can you take your food tray from the Islands Cage out there to eat?

Have the hair dryers been replaced? If so, are they powerful and do they work? Someone who has just returned, please try and respond asap. Thanks.

Magwa who posts here was on the Century mini out of Dover, and took loads of pictures. They're displayed here:

http://www.*****/travelpage/aspgallery/default.asp?CatLevel=2&Cat1_ID=6

Then go to album 176-200 (links at the bottom that page) and look at the album near the top, 'Celebrity Century Cabin 9125'. That shows some pictures of the bathroom area, including the hairdryer!

We were on the Century cruise from Barcelona, went on with high hopes having read such great reports, it was our first Celebrity cruise, only sailed with Princess before and we have to say it was a massive let down.

In our opinion the deck space is dire compared with Princess, if you did not want to sit round the pool, loud music, fries and burger smells, there were no alternatives, we went on the upper aft deck, rough surface, no chairs out about as much ambience as a supermarket car park, even the "old" Sun has fantastic deck space, more pools, quiet areas, this was our biggest down.

The food was nothing outstanding, yes the lobster was tough.

The captain was a joke!!

I know it was just out of dry dock but we still paid good money, the ship was a mess, dirty, rusty, did you notice all the blue paint on the filthy windows in the dining room.

Well as you can guess we will not be sailing Celebrity again, and if they just spent $50m on it what did it liik like before, we dread to think.

I know you all love Celebrity so happy sailings

I can assure you your opinions are a bit different than others who are returning from the newly refurbished ship. Maybe your eyes are just a bit better. As for comparing Princess with Celebrity, I have many clients who prefer one over the other and many who think they are equal. You didn't mention which Princess ship you have cruised. it is important when comparing lines to compare class of ships. Anyone who makes a statement like you did about the captain would make most observers doubt your creditbility. I certainly hope you didn't mean to come across quite so blunt.....NMNita

Thanks to TOMUK and Magwa for the great Century picture link!

P.S. Who can tell me what the main physical differences (not just the amenities) are between the new 2A balcony cabins and the Concierege Class balcony cabins?

I would also like to know as the "specs" are the same.

Wow thanks Tom_Uk for the great link to the photos of the refurbished Century! I will be sailing on Celebrity for the first time next year on her and it is great to see all those wonderful photos! I can't wait for my first Celebrity cruise! Thank especially for the wonderful conceirge class room photos becuase we will be staying in one of those.

I am most looking forward to nightly sushi, breakfast room service every morning on the balcony, and the AquaSpa!

Rats--I hit a wrong key & lost my lenghty post---if it posts twice that's why.

Based on answers to ques below we may decide to book something leaving from Rome instead so pls help us out ..:

1) How does the extra 16% tax by Spain work? Does it apply to the entire cruise or only items bought in Spanish ports? What does it aply to? Is it added to the cost of drinks & the 15% tip--that would be a 21% addition to each item....what about photos purchased on board, souveniers jewelry (assuming shops are open at some point)

2) If our itin is RT Barcelona will we not stop at Gibraltor since we'd like to return to Barcelona?

3) Are shops closed for the entire cruise? No film, no items in any store--I can't imagine that at all? But with a 16% tax,I guess I would not buy very much anyhow--hope I can get acurate info on this...does not sound right...

I am resigned to having lost the T pool although not a fair trade with a Persian gardens at all. I have noticed Celeb increasing space for what they call revenue Partners while diminishing space for free activiites...started with acupuncture & cirque etc. .but the above three questions if answered in the negative will be a deal breaker for me...not that desperate to see any part of Europe & get fleeced in the process! Can always book something else.

My wife and I have just returned home from the June 15-27 Baltic Cruise on Century. This was our 10th cruise dating back to 1978 on the Song of Norway. We were on the Millinium in 2004 for the Nice to Venice voyage. All other cruises were on RCL. We found that the Century had its act together much more than Millinium. The only negative things we found was boarding was terribly slow; an hour after we were bussed form the hotel. The service in all areas was excellent. We found the food to be excellent with the exception of the desserts which we thought were an attempt to be fancy, but as my wife sometimes says about food "delicious, but no flavor". We felt some simple pies and cakes minus all the fluff would have been far more appealing to us. However our waiter, asst. waiter, asst maitre. sommilier were very attentive and brought us anything extra we asked for. The buffet dining. tea, grill, pizza and pasta bar, egg bar, waffle bar and sushi were all excellent We were on the Panorama deck(new balcony cabin) in the 8100 area and had no problems of any with kind the cabin or cabin service. We felt we had a very enjoyable cruise and much more enjoyable than on the Millinium. We found disembarking for tours and reboarding to be far better than we found on the Millinium. To us the service and style of this cruise was more of what we remembered from cruises in the 70's and 80's before the ships became so big. We would certainly cruise with Celebrity again.

Archived