Upgrade Fairy Visited us at Seattle Terminal 30 Check In!

duck tune

We just returned from the June 2 - 9th Alaska Inside Passage Cruise on the Zaandam. Much to our surprise when we checked in at the Pier we were told we had an upgrade - from an Outside Category D to a Verandah Suite Category A - from deck 2 to deck 7! :) . We were told to go to the front desk as soon as we got on the ship to tell them to alert housekeeping to redirect our checked luggage to the correct room and all arrived before the lifeboat drill.

So, never stop believing that miracles can happen. Everyday we appreciated our good fortune. I can tell you there is nothing quite like the feeling of hearing those magic words "You've been upgraded".

We will post a review shortly but are happy to answer any questions. We are 53+ and didn't have any children with us. We went to Seattle a day early.

Happy cruising!

We just returned from the June 2 - 9th Alaska Inside Passage Cruise on the Zaandam. Much to our surprise when we checked in at the Pier we were told we had an upgrade - from an Outside Category D to a Verandah Suite Category A - from deck 2 to deck 7! :) . We were told to go to the front desk as soon as we got on the ship to tell them to alert housekeeping to redirect our checked luggage to the correct room and all arrived before the lifeboat drill.

So, never stop believing that miracles can happen. Everyday we appreciated our good fortune. I can tell you there is nothing quite like the feeling of hearing those magic words "You've been upgraded".

We will post a review shortly but are happy to answer any questions. We are 53+ and didn't have any children with us. We went to Seattle a day early.

Happy cruising!

Wonderful! Did you book a guarantee of did you book a cabin by number?

We had booked a specific cabin number. We decided on the Alaska trip kind of late and booked in April so were just happy to be cruising. It rained all but one day (in Ketchikan) but we had a great time.

We had booked a specific cabin number. We decided on the Alaska trip kind of late and booked in April so were just happy to be cruising. It rained all but one day (in Ketchikan) but we had a great time.

Cool.....maybe there is hope for me. But then mine is complicated by the fact we have a specific handicap cabin booked. They mark these "no upgrade" because the computer cannot recognize "handicap" and can upgrade us into a regular cabin. that would be bad for my Mom.

We have a porthole handicap cabin in the bow of the ship. I am going to ask when we board if there are any window handicap cabins open. Thats all we can do, I guess.

We booked a Superior Suite once (on the Amersterdam) otherwise have always had a verandah (B or BB) on every cruise until we booked the Zaandam. We knew the outside cabin would be different but have often looked in open cabins when we passed the hallway and thought we would do just fine like. But yes, there is nothing like having the balcony!

Duck Tune,

That's great. We had the same thing happen at Christmas on the Veendam out of Tampa. We booked our normal Cat. B Veranda and found out at check-in we had been upgraded to an "S-Class Suite" Merry Christmas and boy....was it "SWEEEEEEET".:D

Archived