Did I Make A HUGE Mistake???

Molly BPOE

I have booked my second cruise. Due to price and itinerary, I booked with RCI. I have been over on their boards for about 2 weeks now. The first post I made was about how pleasantly surprised I was that everyone over there seemed so nice and not at all nasty (I posted this after reading a post where Carnival could have been really slammed, but was not) I have since ran across some really awful attitudes. Very selfish, snide and holier than thou. I know many people cruise RCI and CCL as well as others, so my question is, are these rude people typical of RCI??? Or am I just hitting all the posts full of b*^chy women, jerks or snobs? I realize that CCL has a few with attitude also, but it seems like it is every other post on the RCI board. Do I really want to cruise this line?

Now you went and did it! I feel so betrayed! lol :D

It seems we are a bit more laid back over here! Actually my DW and I would like to try RCI just to have something to compare to! Hope you have a great time!:)

Don't worry about it. Seriously. Just enjoy your cruise. Never be ashamed to try new things, and never believe that the online representation of a cruise line will match what you will find onboard. :)

That's excellent advice. Variety is the spice of life... :D

In all honesty, I think there are the same muber of rude / mean-spirited posts on both boards. I've been on 3 RCI cruises and don't remember ever running across any rude pax onboard. My RCI cruises were great, and I'm looking forward to my first Carnival cruise in 3 days! I'm sure you'll have a great time with RCI, just like I fully expect to have a great time with Carnival!

I have booked my second cruise. Due to price and itinerary, I booked with RCI. I have been over on their boards for about 2 weeks now. The first post I made was about how pleasantly surprised I was that everyone over there seemed so nice and not at all nasty (I posted this after reading a post where Carnival could have been really slammed, but was not) I have since ran across some really awful attitudes. Very selfish, snide and holier than thou. I know many people cruise RCI and CCL as well as others, so my question is, are these rude people typical of RCI??? Or am I just hitting all the posts full of b*^chy women, jerks or snobs? I realize that CCL has a few with attitude also, but it seems like it is every other post on the RCI board. Do I really want to cruise this line?

Nah! Don't worry about it. RCI is a good cruise experience for the most part. Hardnosed RCI cruisers are just as adamant about RCI as we "Carnivores" are about CCL. You will have a great time! And, it never hurts to try something different.:)

Remember, CC only represents about 1% of the cruising industry, so don't worry! A few bad apples on the RCI board doesn't mean that RCI ships are full of duds; any more than a few bad apples here on the Carnival board means that Carnival ships are full of losers.

I'm sure there are lots of nice people on RCCL ships, just as there are way, way more nice people on Carnival ships than there are bad ones.

I have friends that have sailed with RCCL, and loved it. You'll have fun! :)

Hey, don't worry . . . there are people on each of these cruise line boards that think "their" cruise line is the only cruise line one should sail on. They are very protective and if anyone says anything negative . . . it's like a personal attack. RCI is probably no better or worse than any of the others and as so many have said before . . . a cruise is what you make it. And I really can't imagine any cruise . . . no matter what cruise line you are on . . . being anything short of fantastic!

I found that the RCI product is essentially the same as Carnival's. There are good things about each, and it's easy to compare and think, "Oh, Carnival's shows are better," or "RCI's ships are nicer" and the like. It's really very similar. As far as passenger attitudes go, I found it very interesting. Carnival's passengers are about the same all week. Most very friendly, some rude, some snobby, etc. The RCI passengers were very polite and subdued--for the first 2 or 3 days. Then they stopped being polite. They ended up being just like the Carnival passengers I'm used to, but when contrasting them with earlier in the week, they seemed rude. Just go with a great attitude and expect to have a good time, and you will.

So true. People are very tough when you aren't face to face. On the boards, they are invisible and feel free to bully (and we all know how weak a bully really is!). I'm often hesitant to post for the same reason.

So true. People are very tough when you aren't face to face. On the boards, they are invisible and feel free to bully (and we all know how weak a bully really is!). I'm often hesitant to post for the same reason.

Yes, I was the same way. We have cruised Carnival a few times and don't hesitate to post over on this board. I love it here and on Carnival's ships! :) I had a cruise on RCI Adventure OTS set for last Oct. but I wasn't able to enjoy my pre-cruise passion of posting on the boards as much with that line because at times the RCI board didn't seem "friendly" and kind of had a bad vibe so I found myself reading posts/threads over there more and rarely replying.

Sadly I had to cancel that cruise 4 days prior to sailing....bummer because I was so anxious to see why the RCI loyalists (the ones who call us "carnivores") were so "determined" and by finally going on RCI, I figured I'd have "first-hand" experience. But my friends went without me and really enjoyed their cruise. (Unfortunately, one of them is "sold" now on RCI and is reluctant to look at any other line! :( Yikes! Here we go again!)

I cruise both RCI and Carnival and feel that both have their share of unfriendly know-it-alls. I mean let's face it, I work with the public and their are alot of them out there everyday. The most important thing is that you enjoy your cruise vacation and try not to let the jerks ruin it for you. I have never had a bad experience on a cruise that totally ruined my fun and I am sure you will have a great time too.

Cruised both and didn't find rude people on either line! But I did find that Carnival passengers seemed a little more friendly - apt to talk to you waiting in lines, etc. If I am cruising with a group, we pick for itinerary and price. When I cruise just DH and I, I'd rather cruise Carnival just to have some friendlier people to talk to other than eachother. You did not make a mistake - enjoy your cruise!

Funny -- "odd", not "HaHa"

On our last RCI cruise, the cruise director made several rude, and borderline offensive, comments, publically, about Carnival: eg:

Leaving a port, RCI was pulling out before the Carnival ship- the CD suggested everyone give the Carnival ship the "finger"

Rude comments about Carnival during his presentation monologues.

It was off-putting enough to me that I wrote RCI upon our return.

The passengers were fine -- just the same it seemed to me! And, I agree with a previous poster -- RCI and CC seem pretty much the same product (IMHO)!! It was just that CD that I thought was ..... strange!

Funny -- "odd", not "HaHa"

On our last RCI cruise, the cruise director made several rude, and borderline offensive, comments, publically, about Carnival: eg:

Leaving a port, RCI was pulling out before the Carnival ship- the CD suggested everyone give the Carnival ship the "finger"

Rude comments about Carnival during his presentation monologues.

It was off-putting enough to me that I wrote RCI upon our return.

The passengers were fine -- just the same it seemed to me! And, I agree with a previous poster -- RCI and CC seem pretty much the same product (IMHO)!! It was just that CD that I thought was ..... strange!

I had the same experience and was hoping it was just one ignorant RCI cruise director! In warning guests to stay away from the drug dealers in Ocho Rios, he added "Don't worry. They'll have plenty of business because a Carnival ship will be in port at the same time."

I was annoyed that RCI provides only one comment form per stateroom and I let my adult daughter fill it out. She wrote to Royal Caribbean about the offensive (not the least bit funny) comment.

RCI is currently touting themselves as "the most preferred brand in the industry". But they obviously are not very confident about their product or they would not feel the need to put others down.

I've noticed when it comes to the boards, yes Carnival is much more laid back and fun - for the most part.

My first 4 cruises were on CCL...then we tried a Princess cruise. I liked CCL better for various reasons.

Our next cruise will be on RCL. I seriously doubt the product is any better. They can try and market themselves however they want, but it's all the same...

Guest YesitDonna

I have cruised both but still prefer Carnival. RCCL is a little bit stuffier but like anywhere else.... you make your own good time.

The rudeness can be found on pretty much every forum on this board. However, most of those people would not be that rude in person. I have found people on both lines to be fairly alike. Go, have a good time and don't let what you see on the boards dissuade you from cruising any line. Most, if any, of those people won't even be on the ship with you.

Archived