How do you avoid gaining 10lbs on a cruise!!!!

oraf7

Please tell me if you ahve been succesful at keeping your weight within a few pounds while cruising. I just reached my goal weight and leave Saturday on the Caribbean Princess. I will be so depressed if I gain back the 10. I usually do very well on vacations but I am not subjected to the midnight buffets etc. LOL.

On our cruise this month my DH & I took the stairs almost all the time, even if it meant going from deck 1 to our cabin on deck 9. The rare exceptions were formal nights (couldn't do it in spike heels!) or if we were carrying packages or something heavy.

I scoped out the buffet line before I got my plate to see what my choices were and not take something just because it was in front of me.

Had a lot of seafood and chicken at lunch and dinner and passed on the potatoes. I ate a lot of veggies. If there was a no-sugar dessert that looked good, I would choose that instead of the others. But that only happened 2 or 3 times.

My DH & I walked the decks and went to ride the stationary bikes for about 15 min 3 times during our 7 day cruise.

We also drank water as much as possible. If your ship allows you to bring your own bottled water I would recommend it! The bottled water on board is rather expensive.

I only gained 3 pounds and my DH gained 2. Both of us have gotten rid of the extra pounds since we've been back. It's important to get right back on plan as soon as you get home, too.

We docked next to the Caribbean Princess in St. Thomas. It looks like a beautiful ship!!! You should have a blast. Don't worry too much about counting calories/carbs/fat though. We ate our share of fresh baked cookies in the Promenade and 1 night I even had 2 desserts! Oink! With the exception of the potatoes, we both ate whatever we wanted.

Have fun! Check back with us when you get back!

Lynn

on my cruise i gained 1 pound. Lost 50 pounds using weight watchers before we left. i didnt use the elevators at all all week. I tasted dessert every night. Everyone would give me a spoonfull from their plate. I ate soup before every meal. (tasty)

I'm not a regular alcohol drinker, but on this cruise, I drank several drinks a day. I blame it on my new friends (tablemates). They were so much fun! We HAD to party with them every night after & before dinner! On my first cruise, I only had maybe two drinks the whole cruise, ate whatever I wanted and only gained 1 pound. This cruise, I had 2-4 drinks a day and ate whatever I wanted. I gained 4.5 lbs! :(

ooooo the drinks... Since I dont drink that can explain a lot of things to me. My brother gained 14 pounds that first cruise and for thelife of me I couldnt figure that one out. sheesh thats 2 pounds a day. But he drank a lot of those frozen foo foo varieties.

How to avoid gaining ten pounds on a cruise? Don't step on the scale! After all, if a tree falls in the woods and no one hears it, it doesn't make a sound, right? I am recruiting now for my new "DENIAL" WOE. It involves elastic waistbands and really big clothes : - )

I did a two week cruise in April and did just fine with what I had lost. Don't think I gained any back. However, in the two months since then work has been stressful, I have eaten lots of bad things, and had no time for exercise.

On the ship though, I took the stairs quit a bit but not always. I can do about two flights up and that is it. I always took the stairs going down though (even in heels). I went to the gym almost every day but not quite everyday. I did walk the deck when it wasn't too windy. As far as eating, I just basically stayed away from the starches (until evening dessert). I didn't have bread (except in Portofinos) for the most part. I don't think I had any potatos or rice but if I did it was maybe just once. I didn't have any ice cream, cookies, etc. at lunch. I saved up for dessert at dinner and then I would order whatever dessert I wanted. But I would only eat a few bites of it (except the tiramisu I finished off). I think if just try to keep up your exercise (and walk while in port too) and try to watch what you eat (but do not deprive yourself of anything you would really enjoy) then you will be fine. As a matter of fact, I need another cruise (to get away from work) to be able to eat healthier and exercise more.

We were told from our very first cruise " take the stairs!". We do drink but only one or two of the frozen drinks, usually crown and ginger, tequilla sunrise and the drink of the day. We totally enjoy the buffets and the dining room and usually late night pizza but we rarely eat in between meals. The first cruise we gained none, but the most since then is a couple of pounds. TAKE THE STAIRS!

I agree with the "take the stairs" philosophy. Also try to incorporate lots of walking into your day -- not hard on shore days.

Don't drink your calories. Opt for water. If you love alcoholic drinks, limit yourself to one fruity-type drink each day -- they are full of calories. Rum and Diet Coke has only 65 calories.

If the buffets are too much of a temptation, eat breakfast and lunch in the dining room, and order only an entree. Or order room service.

Don't skip dessert or something else you really want. Enjoy it, and walk a bit more the next day. You'll have time to diet when you're back home; just don't go completely overboard.

We leave Sunday on the Dawn. I just lost 15 lbs, and am 5 away from goal. I am not going to stress too much about it while we are on the boat. I will take the stairs, and try to get to the gym. As long as I avoid the bread and the big carbs, I should be okay. I do want to enjoy some dessert and definately some wine and a few other drinks here and there. Have waited too long for this cruise to beat myself up over it! I will enjoy - and worry about the scale when I get home. I lost it once - I can lose it again!

Sandycruise: How to avoid gaining ten pounds on a cruise? Don't step on the scale! After all, if a tree falls in the woods and no one hears it, it doesn't make a sound, right? I am recruiting now for my new "DENIAL" WOE. It involves elastic waistbands and really big clothes

That's pretty funny Sandy!:D

Seriously though, the effort I'm making to lose these extra pounds will make my cruise so much more enjoyable - I don't think it will bother me if I gain a little. I'm looking forward to 'working out with a view' on this cruise, imagine the scenery and not having to travel to exercise.

kr64 We leave Sunday on the Dawn. I just lost 15 lbs, and am 5 away from goal. I am not going to stress too much about it while we are on the boat. I will take the stairs, and try to get to the gym. As long as I avoid the bread and the big carbs, I should be okay. I do want to enjoy some dessert and definately some wine and a few other drinks here and there. Have waited too long for this cruise to beat myself up over it! I will enjoy - and worry about the scale when I get home. I lost it once - I can lose it again!

That's the right attitude to have kr64, don't beat yourself up - enjoy your cruise, exercise when you want to and work on it when you get back to normality.

Congratulations on losing the 15, you did well!

Yep, did and will do the stairs....we get out to the pool e-a-r-l-y, and I usually swim a bit while there's noone in the pool...drink lotsa water(the ships is fine too-no prob last year), stay active, participate in activities....we visited teh gym a couple of times, but as we work out every day at home, a break is appropo :) I did do Pilates, and situps/pushups every morning in my room.

I did drink and eat pretty much whatever...but had the brothy soups, and vinagerette dressings on salads, plus I tried to choose fish, or seafood as much as possible, chicken too....desert wise I tried several low sugar items, and had a few richer ones too..it was worth it!

Congrats to all of you who lost weight, and intend to keep it off. To all others, it's really very simple: Self-discipline. Why on earth would you go to all the time and trouble to lose the weight only to "entitle" yourself to balloon out because it's your vacation???

Sounds to me like PCD (post cruise depression) would be much worse if you undo all that hard work.

JMHO

Happy Sailing!

Romy

Not that your rude reply deserves an answer, but I'm going to give one anyway.

I do not intend to "entitle" myself to balloon out just because it is vacation. I do however, plan to entitle myself to enjoy some things that I have not enjoyed the past few months - when I lost the now 16 lbs that I have lost. I must have some self-discipline to have been able to do that. To me, the idea of vacation is enjoying myself, and doing things differently than I would do them at home. If not, might as well just stay home.

I will certainly have a happy sailing, and I will let you know how much I ballooned!

I'm sorry you thought I was being rude, I thought I was being honest. This point hits home because I have a dear friend who is about 50 lbs overweight and it breaks my heart.

She used to be very thin. She tries every fad diet for about a month and uses every possible excuse you can think of to go off the diet. Only to try the newest one soon thereafter.

She is obsessed with food, it's all she talks about and I just don't understand it.

I guess my frustration just came through.

Good luck to any who are battling this.

Happy Sailing!

To all others, it's really very simple: Self-discipline.

If self -discipline is so simple then why is 68% of the population overweight?

Have you ever had a weight problem?

Trust me, I know all about losing and gaining weight.

I am a 100 pounds plus loser. Have for the most part maintained my current 123 pound weight for a year. Went from a size 20 to my current size 4..

Went on a cruise in April and gained 7 poounds. Had a ball. As soon as I got home lost the weight in one week.Was it worth it, YES!

Is food constantly on my mind, some days yes. That's just how it is for us poor souls that don't have much self-discipline.

Mari

P.S. Don't mean to be rude or negative, but this is a subject very close to my heart. It just shows what society thinks of over weight people.

Many people diet and it is difficult for them to lose weight. You must also exercise and incorporate cardiovascular activities( walking, bike, stairmaster, treadmill) as well as a weight training program in order to accomplish the goal that they have set.

Congrats Mari, going from a 20 to a 4 is awesome! Not to mention keeping a handle on it and only gaining 7 lbs on a cruise! To me that sounds like self discipline.

Please don't try to tell me losing 100 lbs didn't take self-discipline, because I'm not buying.

You should be proud of yourself. Period.

But in this "society" you I think are the exception to the rule. This society in itself is the problem. With the stick-thin "barbie-women" which is all you see in the mags and tv. With the exception to the advertisers trying to get you to buy all their junk food in between. We live in a society of excess about everything, food, alcohol, drugs, money, greed, materialism/consumerism, keeping up with the jones' and diet programs galore, it's all you see.

I love this country, don't get me wrong, but Americans in general typically buy in to all that marketing nonsense and believe everything is a quick fix without really doing what it takes. We were in Vancouver, BC last summer and we couldn't believe that everyone we saw was thin. It was really strange, we had to look for people who were overweight, and found a miniscule percent that wasn't pencil thin. I'll be anxious to see how the Europeans fare this summer, but I don't think they'll be as thin as the people we saw in Canada.

You're right 68% of Americans are overweight, some morbidly obese. I just have to wonder if it's an American thing.

And yes, I do have a weight problem. I come from a family of metabolism gone-wild people, and I have a problem keeping the weight on. Yes, this too is difficult. There are only about 10 days a month that I have a voracious appetite (women, you know what I'm talking about) and other than that I have to make a determined effort to make sure I'm eating enough. I have even resorted to drinking those calorie/nutrition drinks, yuck.

Enough of my soapbox. I just wanted to congratulate you on your success. You deserve it and keep up the good work!!

Happy Sailing!!

Romy:)

Archived