How do you avoid gaining 10lbs on a cruise!!!!

oraf7

Oh, one more thing. I absolutely want to slap people if/when they say to me, "God, you eat like a bird, or Have you lost some weight?" It's just as insulting as if I were to say, "God you eat like a pig, or Have you put on a couple of pounds?"

I wouldn't say that to anyone in a million years, obviously people don't stop and think.

End of soapbox! I promise.;)

Happy Sailing!!

Romy

I just came off a 12-day to europe. I can happily say that I did not gain any weight on this trip. However, I did not have enough self discipline to lose any weight before the trip like I had anticipated. It took the first seven days for me to realize that I didn't need to "try" every dessert that was in front of me at the buffet. SOme things that helped me not gain weight was walking a mile in the morning. Plus I would go to every dance class and fitness class that was offered. ALso, I would try to race my family up or down the stairs while they took the elevator. All of these little things helped. Plus some of the good-looking staff and crew served as motivation! ;)

~Van

Thank you for your kind words of praise and encouragement.

I agree with alot that you have said.

We do have a serious weight problem here. I worrry about all the children that I am seeing overweight. And it seems like we're seeing alot more of truly obese people. When we were on the cruise, I was amazed how many truly overweight people were on the ship. When I was in south beach(miami), I was amazed how thin everyone was. Maybe it's the south beach diet. Europeans are considerally thinner than us. I don't remember seeing many overweight Italian or Frrench.

Having said all that, I still believe there is a difference between how a thin person thinks versus an overweight individual. I may be thin on the outside now, but I still have a fat soul. I know now how to manage my weight with exercise everyday and a constant vigilance. I use the 5 pound rule. Is this easy, no. Would I like to eat whatever I want, yes. Is it worth it. Yes. For me, nothing tastes as good as thin feels.

I just wish I could have figured all this out years ago. I have plenty of emphathy for people struggling to lose or maintain their weight. It is a life long battle. Diets are the quick fix. A person has to make a life style change.

But life is too short not to enjoy fine food and wine while on vacation. So I believe enjoy yourself while away, and then get right back to a healthy way of eating when you get home.

I know being underweight is a weight problem, and not a laughing matter. But boy, I wouldn't mind trading places with you for a month. Then we could both see how the other feels.

Wishing you the best.

Mari:)

;) I guess giving up alcohol about a year and a half ago counts for some of my "lost" calories too. I never really considered how many calories are in alcohol, albeit empty ones.

Obviously on vacation, people tend to drink as well as eat more than they would at home. I'm looking forward to not having a bar bill to worry about. Those umbrella drinks in the fancy glasses certainly add up!:eek:

I certainly hope anyone worried about weight-gain on their cruise will read your posts and consider you a roll model!

I too always take the stairs, maybe I shouldn't:confused: !

I too appreciate your kind words Mari!

Happy Sailing!!!

Romy

Not too bad, only ballooned 4.5 lbs on the cruise, and have already lost one of those pounds. I knew once I got back to eating the way I have been, and back to my regular exercise, that it won't be too hard getting those extra pounds off. Then I just have to work to get the last 5 off to reach my goal.

And it was well worth the 4.5 pounds. The food was delicious. And they do keep portion size down, which helps. What made us laugh is we would order an appetizer or salad or soup, and then our entree, and the waiters would always ask - 'Is that it?'. I guess they are used to people ordering much more food - but I couldn't eat more than that. And then there was sometimes room for dessert!

That would always happen to me, too. I would not order every course for dinner and the waiter would always ask me if I wanted to order another course or two soups or two appetizers. I can't eat that much at one meal, I like to spread it out a little:eek:

I have lost about 18 lbs and am 7 lbs from my final weight loss goal, but I cruise in 3 days. I really appreciated this thread because I don't want to gain too much weight on my cruise, which is 9 nights. I had hoped to lose below my goal in case I gained, but that didn't happen:(

Thanks for all the tips on here.

Rose

I thought I had replied to this thread...but I guess not.

I don't agree with the philosophy "it's my vacation" or "I lost it once"...sorry folks...I am being honest.

Since when does the success of a vacation equate the food or drink? I can think of a lot of other reasons for a vacation.

Before cruising, we would either do to a resort (not all-incl) or a sight-seeing trip. In both cases I found that I ate less and was very active...and never gained weight.

Now we seem to be in the cruise mode. It is much more difficult because there is so much food all day (and night) long. I find that even if I try to be careful, I eat way more than normal.

There are people who don't gain. I have to get "a handle" on this if I want to continue to cruise. I have to eat the way I eat normally. My eyes should not be bigger than my stomach!!! On the next cruise, I am going to try to do better. I promise!

Part of the enjoyment of a vacation, to me, is being able to eat delicious food, prepared by someone other than myself. I also enjoy eating things that i don't normally get to eat, and having some nice wine with my dinner. To me that is one of the pluses and pleasures of a vacation. I also enjoy exercising on my vacation - doing things that I normally would not do. Lots of walking in different places. If I was going to eat the same things I normally do, and do the same kinds of things I normally do, I would just stay home, and save a heck of a lot of moneY!

You CAN eat delicious food prepared by others and drink wine....but you (and I and all the others) shouldn't eat and drink MORE than necessary. We won't enjoy it less if we don't walk away FULL. We probably would enjoy it more. That's the way I see it.

Well gee, thanks Babylene. How did I manage to survive the last 40 years without you telling me what I 'should' do!

Thanks, but I'm an adult, and can decide for myself what I should and shouldn't do. I think I'll leave this thread now, because it has become a thread of people being a little too self-righteous.

Before our first cruise, we all went on the South Beach Diet. I lost 5 lbs, DH lost 15 lbs. We gained them all back.:mad: I think since we did it in a rush, our bodies crave for food and we ate everything in sight.

On our last cruise, we ate all we wanted in smaller portions. We walked twice a day, 1 miles each time. It was a pleasure walk since it was 60 degree on deck. We used the stair exclusively. We selected excursions which required walking, hiking, kayaking. I lost 3 lbs after the cruise.:)

[quote name='kr64'] I think I'll leave this thread now, because it has become a thread of people being a little too self-righteous.[/QUOTE]

You shouldn't be so thin skined. People are just stating thier feelings. There is alot of good here. Just take what you need and ignore what you don't.

JMHO

Melody

Archived