Sabatinis or Sterling Steakhouse?

CBCit

Awesome photos.

Of course I have another question.

Some I read that this is a tasting menuplace and other I read where you can just order off the menu.

SO does not eat seafood at all-- so will i be able to do the tasting one..and he can just order off the menu?

How exactly does this work?

Sabatini's has a full menu, and you can order specific items like you would at any restaurant (i.e, appetizer, salad, entree', etc.) They also offer a "full menu" tasting option, and they bring out all the items on the menu. Next time, we're going to go for the full menu taster option!!!!!

I'm sorry others have not had a good experience there, but I am not sure how you could leave hungry. They will bring you as much food as you want, all you have to do is ask. We ordered off the menu and they still brought over other items between our regular courses (like gnoochi, :p ). To "sample." I probably had 3 servings of gnoochi in addition to my main course!!! My dining partners had their lobster tails and then split a second order. They were very pleased.

So, if they bring out seafood, you don't have to take it and you can ask for more of something you like. Or, you can just order off the menu as you would in any other restaurant. And if you're not happy with it, send it back and get something else. I never understand why people just sit there unhappy. If you don't like something, they WANT you to tell them so they can get you something that you like.

I have now read several posters who compare Sabatini's to Olive Garden, which I do not consider edible food and which is a huge turn off. I had looked forward to trying it out in December.

Any Italians out there that can comment? How about New Yorkers who have access to such great food? What are your thoughts?

As a second generation Italian who grew up outside of Manhattan in the restaurant business and still makes my pasta from scratch (not always but often) I have never had decent Italian food on a ship. They cook the pasta ahead and then coat it in oil where it sits til used. And then they use they pre-cut garlic that is so nasty:mad: in their sauces.

Can someone tell me something good?

I have now read several posters who compare Sabatini's to Olive Garden,

I'm not sure what Olive Garden at which those posters are eating .... I agree with you, OG is terrible. I'm not Italian, but I've eaten at some pretty nice restaurants. As you can see from my previous posts, everyone in my party thought is was great (on the Island Princess). I'll be interested to see if the experience is any different on the CB.

My goodness, PeterV, does nothing nice ever happen to you? I don't know how it's possible to leave Sabatini's hungry, unless you refuse just about every selection.

As much as my wife and I both enjoy Sabatini's, our main problem is that it's just too much of a meal. Trust me, I can tuck in with the best of them and Sabatini's is definitely a challenge for me. For that reason we usually choose Sterling if we want to have a meal in one of the alternative restaurants. I don't think Sterling is any better than an outback, nor is it any worse, but it's not a high-end steakhouse experience such as one might have at Ruth's Chris or a similar establishment.

I would agree with that--our thoughts exactly.

And comparing Sabatini's to Olive Garden...no way.

I have now read several posters who compare Sabatini's to Olive Garden, which I do not consider edible food and which is a huge turn off. I had looked forward to trying it out in December.

Any Italians out there that can comment? How about New Yorkers who have access to such great food? What are your thoughts?

As a second generation Italian who grew up outside of Manhattan in the restaurant business and still makes my pasta from scratch (not always but often) I have never had decent Italian food on a ship. They cook the pasta ahead and then coat it in oil where it sits til used. And then they use they pre-cut garlic that is so nasty:mad: in their sauces.

Caviargal: Lauren is second generation Italian, though you would never know it, unfortunately speaking very little Italian. They are from the New Jersey area. In fact she will not let me dine at OG, Macaroni Grill, or Carrabas. Her grandmother won't step foot in there...lol. But, she does enjoy Sabatini's. It is not fine italian dining per say, like Il Mulino in New York (http:// http://www.ilmulinonewyork.com), which we love! But then again, Italian doesn't need to be expensive to be good.

I sure miss our Sunday gatherings in New Jersey...7 course meals which started about 11:00am and lasted into the evening. :)

Caviargal: Lauren is second generation Italian, though you would never know it, unfortunately speaking very little Italian. In fact she will not let me dine at OG, Macaroni Grill, or Carrabas. Her grandmother won't step foot in there...lol. But, she does enjoy Sabatini's. It is not fine italian dining per say, like Il Mulino in New York (http://www.ilmulinonewyork.com/welcome.html), which we love! But then again, Italian doesn't need to be expensive to be good.

I sure miss our Sunday gatherings in New Jersey...7 course meals which started about 11:00am and lasted into the evening. :)

Lauren is a girl after my own heart!:) No one in my family would ever eat in the restaurants you mentioned and my dad, who is dead now but was a wonderful cook, would barely allow canned tomatoes to be used for sauce unless they were, of course, imported from Italy and of suitable quality.

I agree that "fine" and "good" are both equally enjoyable and when I travel to NY or to Italy, I am just as content in a good trattoria as I am in the top rated restaurants.

I feel much better now and will definitely give it a try.

We still have those Sunday feasts on occasion and every year Christmas Eve is at my home where I prepare the traditional "feast of the seven fishes" for my family and close friends:D.

Some traditions are better than others, as I am sure Lauren can attest. I still refuse to suck the eyeballs out of a calf's head:o.

Some traditions are better than others, as I am sure Lauren can attest. I still refuse to suck the eyeballs out of a calf's head:o.
Please tell me that the calf is dead and the head is cooked. :eek: Or, better yet, maybe I should drop the line of inquiry right now. The mental image is enough to put me off my feed for the next few days...a little TMI, I'm afraid! :)

Actually, I think if you are someone who thinks Macaroni Grill or Carraba's is representative of authentic Italian cooking, Sabatini's will be a huge disappointment. I think Sabatini's compares favorably with the more traditional Italian cooking I've had the good fortune to try. If they just had bracciole...

Please tell me that the calf is dead and the head is cooked. :eek: Or, better yet, maybe I should drop the line of inquiry right now. The mental image is enough to put me off my feed for the next few days...a little TMI, I'm afraid! :)

Hi, spongerob:)

Yes, the calf is dead and the head is cooked. My dad used to love to put a couple in the oven (it is a a Sicilian delicacy) and it would produce the most lovely aroma while cooking. Then, he would get a huge kick out of bringing his victim (usually one of my friends or friends of my brothers) over to the oven and flick on the light. It always made him chuckle :D.

I remember on my first trip to Sorrento, my parents took us to a little cafe and ordered chicken. Being kids from NJ, it was a real shocker when a few minutes later, we got a visual of just how fresh that chicken really was:p. I did not eat a bite.

Actually, I think if you are someone who thinks Macaroni Grill or Carraba's is representative of authentic Italian cooking, Sabatini's will be a huge disappointment. I think Sabatini's compares favorably with the more traditional Italian cooking I've had the good fortune to try. If they just had bracciole...

If Sabatini's is that good, wouldn't you think that people who like Macaroni Grill or Carraba's think that Sabatini's is much better (rather than being disappointed) after eating there? :cool:

Thanks to the person who supplied the photos of Sabatini's.

We'll definitely be trying Sabatini's on Crown on 7-11.

I'm also glad that you can ask for a bit extra of things you like too.

If Sabatini's is that good, wouldn't you think that people who like Macaroni Grill or Carraba's think that Sabatini's is much better (rather than being disappointed) after eating there? :cool:

Actually, I would think the opposite. It is similar to being in Italy and having people complain about the food. The pasta is not cooked enough, there are no meatballs, etc.

If one is used to the chains and thinks they are great, the real stuff would likely not appeal.

JMO.

The main entree was the only thing that both dh and I enjoyed....which was a fight in itself....we asked our waiter to bring us a combination of the seafood entrees, instead of the menu entrees that were offered. We read about doing this on CC....He acted like no one had ever asked this of him and it would be a huge inconvienience....and that the chef may not be able to do it....We saw other diners at Sabatinas doing this....He brought out the main entree as we had requested...it consisted of a tiny lobster tain, a couple of shrimp and I think scallops....and something else that I couldnt identify...The entree was good, but very skimpy.

I think our waiter (a very cold Romanian) was a major factor in our overall experience....

We are trying both on our July 8th CB cruise. I love Italian and cook my own sauce for 10 hours. Personally even though Carabbas and Mac. Grill do not compare to my food, I like to go there at least I do not have to cook.:D Olive Garden, tried it once and that was enough.

We shall celebrate our anniversary at Sabitinis and my DH's birthday at Sterlings. We shall see and let everyone know.

By the way any of you people in Florida that were nice enough to send Alberto our way, gee thanks. We have already had 3 inches of rain and 3 more on the way. My poor DH is trying to get home and all the streets are flooded. So much for living in Va. Beach, Va.

Awesome photos.

Of course I have another question.

Some I read that this is a tasting menuplace and other I read where you can just order off the menu.

SO does not eat seafood at all-- so will i be able to do the tasting one..and he can just order off the menu?

How exactly does this work?

Exactly like this:

you get a tasting of everything on the menu, AND, you order an entree.

I know this is subjective, but we loved the experience all 3 times we've been there.

True, it takes along time, but when you're with the one you love, eating good food, and enjoying good wine, the time is not nearly long enough.

It's nice sometimes to eat a meal slowly.

I can't imagine still being hungry, even 1 entree will fill me up, and if you eat all the other stuff it's alot.

True, each serving is small, but it's still about 15 different things, so it adds up.

It is certainly different and unique, and worth trying at least once to see for yourself.

Just to clarify, because my husband doesnt eat any shellfish, can you go there and simply order a salad, pasta dish and dessert? I cant imagine that would be a 3 hour meal (our daughter will be in babysitting while we do it, so we probably wont have that type of time)

Suzanne

Although I have an awfully long time to decide, which of these 2 would make the best place to celebrate our 25th anniversary?

CBCit,

Will you have a balcony when you cruise? For something as special as your 25th anniversary, would you consider the Ultimate Balcony Dinner? DH and I haven't enjoyed this yet but have talked about it for our January cruise. We've done both Sabatini's and Sterling Steakhouse and weren't enamored with either. We did enjoy an Ultimate Balcony Breakfast on the Grand and truly enjoyed the experience.

Our 35th anniversary is June 25. We plan to renew our vows shipboard next January - hopefully on the 27th as that is my birthday. An intimate dinner on our balcony sounds wonderful to me.

Bon Voyage!

Chris

Just to clarify, because my husband doesnt eat any shellfish, can you go there and simply order a salad, pasta dish and dessert? I cant imagine that would be a 3 hour meal (our daughter will be in babysitting while we do it, so we probably wont have that type of time)

Suzanne

You can order what ever you want off the menu and eat only that. If all you want is a specifc salad, entree and dessert, they will serve you that. Your not required to do the menu sampler. They don't force feed you. :D But they'll probably still come around and offer you some other morsels. You might also mention to your waiter you're not looking for a overly long dining experience. Set a time limit and I bet he or she will do there best to meet it.

To Chris above, sounds like you really got cheated out of the experience on the Grand. That's really too bad. Hope you'll try again. If your waiter is not responsive, talk to the maitre' d and get a different waiter. Our maitre d' at Sabatinis on the Island was wonderful and he kept coming around to make sure everything was just so.

Suzanne

Well, they will bring you all the food, and you don't have to eat it.

I suppose if you insisted, they would not bring something, but usually you don't really know what's coming until it's in front of you.

Maybe you husband could try a few new things?

you don't order except for the entree.

Well, they will bring you all the food, and you don't have to eat it.

I suppose if you insisted, they would not bring something, but usually you don't really know what's coming until it's in front of you.

Maybe you husband could try a few new things?

you don't order except for the entree.

Now I understand why people are getting confused reading this thread ....

I don't know about the other ships, but on the Coral and the Island, you can order a specific dinner from the menu, not just the entree. They asked us if we wanted to order the sampler dinner, and we did not want that much food. So, we each ordered a specific appetizer, a specific salad, a specific entree and a specific dessert from the menu -- just like you do in the regular ship's restaurants. The waiter only brought us a few (not a lot) of some of the other menu items to taste between these regular courses, and only if we wanted them. We were not brought a sample of every item on the menu, as I understand they do if you order the sampler dinner.

Again, that's how is was on these 2 ships. It may be different on the others.

oh ok, I understand, I just would hate to waste food, since we are both kind of picky. I think we will definately try it, someone mentioned that they had really good gnocchhi, which we love..is there anywhere on the board to see the actual menu?

Suzanne

oh ok, I understand, I just would hate to waste food, since we are both kind of picky. I think we will definately try it, someone mentioned that they had really good gnocchhi, which we love..is there anywhere on the board to see the actual menu?

Suzanne

When we did it, they literally brought the hot skillet out into the restaurant. If you didn't want something, they moved on to the next table, so I didn't see anything wasted. Plus, they would just spoon maybe half a dozen gnocchi on a small plate at at time. You could have more (which I did :D ), but it was fun just getting a taste of some other menu items.

If you are really interested in Sabatini's and the service...reserve it on the first day that board the ship for whatever night that you want to dined.

Sabatini's opens up at 6:00 pm. If you can try to eat here 6:00 - 7:00. We got good service and we dined during the first formal night.

If you are really interested in Sabatini's and the service...reserve it on the first day that board the ship for whatever night that you want to dined.

Sabatini's opens up at 6:00 pm. If you can try to eat here 6:00 - 7:00. We got good service and we dined during the first formal night.

and if you make early reservations AND are still hungry after, you can still catch dinner at one of the other venues :eek: (great idea....burp)

ps- isn't the first formal night the night they also have the big seafood buffet or something. (I'd hate ot miss that)

I am the OP and now I am more confused then ever. Neither place is sounding wonderful. One of the posters mentioned Ruth's Chris,thats a steakhouse! As far as the balcony dinner, I can't really see spending the extra $ to eat food being brought up on trays(probably cold) from a dining room far away,to eat sitting on plastic chairs,etc, you get my drift.I am picturing myself sipping my morning coffee(probably with pastries),watching the day begin..... But not for dinner.

We will probably take a peek at both restaurants on our first day and pick by atmosphere. Thanks for all the replies.

I am the OP and now I am more confused then ever. Neither place is sounding wonderful. One of the posters mentioned Ruth's Chris,thats a steakhouse! As far as the balcony dinner, I can't really see spending the extra $ to eat food being brought up on trays(probably cold) from a dining room far away,to eat sitting on plastic chairs,etc, you get my drift.I am picturing myself sipping my morning coffee(probably with pastries),watching the day begin..... But not for dinner.

We will probably take a peek at both restaurants on our first day and pick by atmosphere. Thanks for all the replies.

I'm with you (being confused)..I was so psyched for Sabatini's (I'm pretty sure we'll at least give it a try), supposedly the experience CAN be nice.

Archived