Sabatinis or Sterling Steakhouse?

CBCit

For me, an easy choice. The Steakhouse. I am a red meat lover, and the Steakhouse on Pacific Princess (new) was very good indeed.

Sabatini's, on Golden Princess, served way too much food (for my wife and I with small appetites), and it took about 3 hours from start to finish. I got impatient!

Sabatini's is definitely a more romantic, private, lingering meal. Like everyone has said though it is a TON of food! (Way too much for any normal human being.) I would pick the steak house as I really enjoy a good steak, I like the other options on the menu for side, salads, apps etc, and I do not like feeling stuffed.

CBC-- why do most people only pick one over the other.

Is it possible to go to both places during the week? or do majortiy of people only go to one

My thoughts exactly, why not go to both?:D (we plan on doing it and possibly the new seafood one too, hmmm)

(if a 10 day cruise you would have plenty of time to do it)

and yes, as long as you can get reservations (and $) you could go every day if you wanted.

a new seafood one??

I dont think my SO will go for that-- he doesnt like shellfish at all.. nothing that swims..lol

its bad enough I told him we are going to the buffet the first night onbaord so i can get seafood.. he can suffer.

Although I have an awfully long time to decide, which of these 2 would make the best place to celebrate our 25th anniversary?

Do Both! We did both on the CB and enjoyed them. They are different than each other from food to decor. Sabatinis is a unique place and more romantic. They focus on food sampling with a wide variety of Italian dishes. It does take well over an hour to eat there. I couldn't see 3 hours, but I guess one could drag it out (wine, desert, conversation, slow service, etc.).

Side-Note: Depending on the server you have here, it can make a world of difference. Lauren's from a very Italian family and our server was from the same part of Italy as hers. He was a riot, they sang Italian songs together, even danced and did some other funny stuff. There happened to be others dining around us with italian backgrounds. We all shared in a good evening!

Sterling was great too. A much faster meal, but just as generous in their portions. Either way, you'll enjoy the one you take.

Sabs all the way.

Both are very good, but Sterlings is nothing different from what you can get in any one of a number of land restaurants, while Sabs is completely unique. (well, maybe not completely, there as a place in New Orleans where you could just go in and say "feed me" and they'd just bring you food. I don't know if it survived Katrina.)

My thoughts exactly, why not go to both?:D (we plan on doing it and possibly the new seafood one too, hmmm)

(if a 10 day cruise you would have plenty of time to do it)

and yes, as long as you can get reservations (and $) you could go every day if you wanted.

Well I think they said they wanted to go on their anniversary, so unless they've been married twice I'd assume that's only one day.

I'm not sure if they are open for lunch, if so you could go to one for lunch and the other for dinner.

Well I think they said they wanted to go on their anniversary, so unless they've been married twice I'd assume that's only one day.

I'm not sure if they are open for lunch, if so you could go to one for lunch and the other for dinner.

You are absolutely correct, I re-read again, sorry

In that case, I'd plan on the dining experience at Sabatini's (sounds great), versus the steakhouse (like someone else said, it's like any upscale steakhouse you could get at home).

or you could eat early at Sterlings and then go to Sabatini's and they'll gladly roll you back to your cabin!:eek:

Seriously though, I'd go for Sabatini's:D

Yes, I did say it was for our anniversary, which is why I would pay extra to eat in a different venue. Otherwise, I really feel you get a great meal with great service and atmosphere in the dining rooms already paid for. So, I will be picking one or the other.

Anyone know if the meat quality at Sterlings is Angus certified prime and/or if the steaks are aged?

The Coral and Island don't have a Sterling, so I have yet to partake, but Sabatini's is wonderful. And who cares if it takes 1-3 hours to dine. Who's in a hurry? Look at it as if the dinner is that evening's event! The service was great and since we did not do the "sampler" menu (i.e., we each ordered specific entrees), we did not over eat. That being said, we plan on starving ourselves one day in September and taking in the full menu there! I love a good steak, so I will try Sterlings as well, but if you're looking for more of a fine dining experience, I'd go with Sabatinis.

The steakhouse is definitely the better of the two, and that doesn't say much.

As to the comments about how long it takes at Sabatini's, that is true, exceedingly, exasperatingly long, and they didn't serve anything like TONS AND TONS of food there. A spoonful of this and a spoonful of that, my entree was 4 shrimp.

All that for $40, and we left hungry, and tired.

Cheers,

Peter

My goodness, PeterV, does nothing nice ever happen to you? I don't know how it's possible to leave Sabatini's hungry, unless you refuse just about every selection.

As much as my wife and I both enjoy Sabatini's, our main problem is that it's just too much of a meal. Trust me, I can tuck in with the best of them and Sabatini's is definitely a challenge for me. For that reason we usually choose Sterling if we want to have a meal in one of the alternative restaurants. I don't think Sterling is any better than an outback, nor is it any worse, but it's not a high-end steakhouse experience such as one might have at Ruth's Chris or a similar establishment.

It really depends on what you like to eat. Hubby and I went to Sabatini's because it was Italian food. We really don't eat steak.

Here is what type of dishes that you can eat in Sabatini's. We were there on May 21st on the Sapphire to Alaska.

You don't have to sign in to look at the photos. Just click "View Photos without signing in"

Hit the Slideshow button for the movie effect.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandingSignin.jsp?Uc=18tjuqvp.w8hhfj1&Uy=-t8hpb9&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0

Awesome photos.

Of course I have another question.

Some I read that this is a tasting menuplace and other I read where you can just order off the menu.

SO does not eat seafood at all-- so will i be able to do the tasting one..and he can just order off the menu?

How exactly does this work?

As to the comments about how long it takes at Sabatini's, that is true, exceedingly, exasperatingly long, and they didn't serve anything like TONS AND TONS of food there. A spoonful of this and a spoonful of that, my entree was 4 shrimp.

Cheers,

Peter

I wholeheartedly agree with Peter, we left Sabatini's hungry, tired, and totally disappointed in the entire experience, felling like we had wasted an entire evening of the cruise. The waiter was terrible, the food a spoonful (and I mean a spoonful) of this and that was horrible. ..The food tasted like it has a clam base to everything....

We enjoyed Sterling Steakhouse. The steaks were not the best I have ever had, but were good, the sides were really good, and the dessert close to excellent. My favorite course at Sterling's was the appetizer...the largest shrimp I have ever eaten....The waitstaff was attentive and entertaining at Sterling's.

Cheers,

Peter

I wholeheartedly agree with Peter, we left Sabatini's hungry, tired, and totally disappointed in the entire experience. The waiter was terrible, the food a spoonful (and I mean a spoonful) of this and that was horrible. ..The food tasted like it has a clam base to everything....

We enjoyed Sterling Steakhouse. The steaks were not the best I have ever had, but were good, the sides were really good, and the dessert close to excellent. My favorite course at Sterling's was the appetizer...the largest shrimp I have ever eaten....The waitstaff was attentive and entertaining at Sterling's.

We are doing another cruise on The Grand in Nov but we will not return to either speciality restaurant

Archived