Sabatinis or Sterling Steakhouse?

CBCit

I'm with you (being confused)..I was so psyched for Sabatini's (I'm pretty sure we'll at least give it a try), supposedly the experience CAN be nice.

Some people can find anything to complain about .... if you want to have a good time at Sabatini's ... you will. My guess is, same with the Sterling. I'm doing both on the CB ... and, despite the plastic chairs (agreed), I have heard that the UBD is also wonderful ... they bring it to your room course by course so if it's supposed to be cold, it's cold. If it's supposed to be hot, it's hot. We're going to try that too!

Bon appetit!

I have been on 6 Princess cruises and have never tried Sabattini's or Sterling steakhouse. I did go as far as making reservations once, but then had to cancel them. I will be on the CB in August and this is high on my list for this time. I want to do both, but definitely Sabattini's.

I did try a restaurant with a Mardi Gra them on the Island Princess a couple of years ago. Had a great time with all the friends I was dining with, but felt the food was not very special for that restaurant.

I have been on 6 Princess cruises and have never tried Sabattini's or Sterling steakhouse. I did go as far as making reservations once, but then had to cancel them. I will be on the CB in August and this is high on my list for this time. I want to do both, but definitely Sabattini's.

I did try a restaurant with a Mardi Gra them on the Island Princess a couple of years ago. Had a great time with all the friends I was dining with, but felt the food was not very special for that restaurant.

We also ate at the Blue Bayou (Mardi Gras theme) on the Island. Also had a great time. Service was great and it was fun, with the jazz music and all .... but the food was kind of an after thought, we felt. One of our traveling companions is Creole, and she thought the food was just ok. But we still had a great time!

Lauren is a girl after my own heart!:) No one in my family would ever eat in the restaurants you mentioned and my dad, who is dead now but was a wonderful cook, would barely allow canned tomatoes to be used for sauce unless they were, of course, imported from Italy and of suitable quality.

I agree that "fine" and "good" are both equally enjoyable and when I travel to NY or to Italy, I am just as content in a good trattoria as I am in the top rated restaurants.

I feel much better now and will definitely give it a try.

We still have those Sunday feasts on occasion and every year Christmas Eve is at my home where I prepare the traditional "feast of the seven fishes" for my family and close friends.

Some traditions are better than others, as I am sure Lauren can attest. I still refuse to suck the eyeballs out of a calf's head.

Way OT here: Sorry for the late response, Lauren dragged me to the mall shopping for Santorini :eek:

Yes I have heard of that tradition!! I know it's late, but I saw your post and simply had to type this.

I remember the first time I went for dinner to Lauren's house to meet what I thought would just be her sister and/or parents. Yea, that was a Sunday gathering where I met every aunt, uncle and second cousin in the family tree. Being a mid-westerner, I was quiet, reserved, and familiar with only meat and potatoes. I was a virgin to this Italian thing. But I remember her uncle approaching me and describing our dinner spread. He asked if I had ever sucked the eyeballs out of a calf? First, I was a little frightened of him, then he lead on with the tradition and finished by saying that's what was baking in the oven. The women were working furiously, like an assembly line, and every 20 minutes or so, I'd hear him yell out in his thick Staten Island accent to the kitchen, "How's that calf coming!" :eek: Me and Jack Daniels were getting to know each other real well since I was anticipating someone putting me in the spotlight to actually take part in this. I remember slipping away from the crowd and calling my dad. I asked him how I should handle this and he questioned me if this was the same young lady that he just met a week prior...lol. Well, the tin foil was peeled off and I was relieved to see a ham. Everyone had a good laugh at my expense. :)

Like your dad almost all the men in her family are outstanding in the kitchen. Thank GOD there were some things passed down to Lauren and cooking was one of them. Makes me one happy man ;)

My goodness, PeterV, does nothing nice ever happen to you? I don't know how it's possible to leave Sabatini's hungry, unless you refuse just about every selection.

What can I say, I offer my own opinion. I guess I need to enjoy and agree with everyone otherwise I guess I am just mean spirited. :D

I am not by any means any cruise lines booster. They are not the be all end all experience, no matter what. Especially the decline since I started taking them in the late 70's.

As to Sabatini's, I've tried them twice, on two different ships, I will never go back. The food is lacking, there was not tons of it, and the service was excruciatingly slow.

By the way I have lots of nice things in my life, taking a cruise for instance. :cool:

Cheers,

Peter

The main entree was the only thing that both dh and I enjoyed....which was a fight in itself....we asked our waiter to bring us a combination of the seafood entrees, instead of the menu entrees that were offered. We read about doing this on CC....He acted like no one had ever asked this of him and it would be a huge inconvienience....and that the chef may not be able to do it....We saw other diners at Sabatinas doing this....He brought out the main entree as we had requested...it consisted of a tiny lobster tain, a couple of shrimp and I think scallops....and something else that I couldnt identify...The entree was good, but very skimpy.

I think our waiter (a very cold Romanian) was a major factor in our overall experience....

My experience both times as well. As to more, you don't get more of anything, they bring around the dish give you a spoonful and off they go for 10 minutes while you savour the spoonful of whatever, until the next spoonful is delivered.

I guess the Golden and Caribbean do things differently than the rest of the fleet.

Cheers,

Peter

True, each serving is small, but it's still about 15 different things, so it adds up.

15 items?

I think we got 3, a salad, a tiny slize of pizza and a spoonful each of 3 different dishes in addition to the main course. Eating time maybe 15 minutes in total, serving time 2 hours. We didn't hang around for dessert and coffee as it looked rather naff, and really didn't want to spend another hour.

No wonder I think it is somewhat less than the tons of food people talk about.

Cheers,

Peter

We enjoyed going to both places! The steakhouse steaks ranged from ok (mine- a t-bone), to sublime (the filet), but their GIANT prawn shrimp coctails stole the show! Awesome and worth the price of admission. It's also a quieter atmosphere and a nice change of pace from the buffet or dining rooms.

Sabbatini's was more of an "event" and essentially you're served about 10-15 tiny portions of appetizers or dishes (sort of "Italian dim sum") which by the way you can take or leave- you don't have to eat them all! Lots of antipasti, marinated mushrooms, etc. Then you have a choice of entrees- we had lobster and it was FANTASTIC, as was the dessert. It was festive and good.:p

Way OT here: Sorry for the late response, Lauren dragged me to the mall shopping for Santorini :eek:

Yes I have heard of that tradition!! I know it's late, but I saw your post and simply had to type this.

I remember the first time I went for dinner to Lauren's house to meet what I thought would just be her sister and/or parents. Yea, that was a Sunday gathering where I met every aunt, uncle and second cousin in the family tree. Being a mid-westerner, I was quiet, reserved, and familiar with only meat and potatoes. I was a virgin to this Italian thing. But I remember her uncle approaching me and describing our dinner spread. He asked if I had ever sucked the eyeballs out of a calf? First, I was a little frightened of him, then he lead on with the tradition and finished by saying that's what was baking in the oven. The women were working furiously, like an assembly line, and every 20 minutes or so, I'd hear him yell out in his thick Staten Island accent to the kitchen, "How's that calf coming!" :eek: Me and Jack Daniels were getting to know each other real well since I was anticipating someone putting me in the spotlight to actually take part in this. I remember slipping away from the crowd and calling my dad. I asked him how I should handle this and he questioned me if this was the same young lady that he just met a week prior...lol. Well, the tin foil was peeled off and I was relieved to see a ham. Everyone had a good laugh at my expense.

Like your dad almost all the men in her family are outstanding in the kitchen. Thank GOD there were some things passed down to Lauren and cooking was one of them. Makes me one happy man

Thanks for sharing, I loved the story!

Yup, Italian fathers put prospective SILs thru the gauntlet. Glad you survived!:)

My two brothers are awesome in the kitchen as well. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I think im becoming a broken record on this subject because nobody has responded to it yet and i have sent two different posts. So I thought I might get some luck here. I hope so. :) Here is my question:::Does Sterling Steakhouse let you have samples of all of the appetizers like Sabatini's or can you only order one and share> There are 4 different appetizers and we would like to try them all. Is this possible ? If not, maybe 2? lol.. i want them all.. :p

Thanks for the pictures soymilk is good. Those linked only to the restaurant. Are you willing to share all of your Sapphire pictures? Would love to see them. We are on a Southbound Sapphire cruise to Alaska so I like to take in all I can before we leave.

I think im becoming a broken record on this subject because nobody has responded to it yet and i have sent two different posts. So I thought I might get some luck here. I hope so. :) Here is my question:::Does Sterling Steakhouse let you have samples of all of the appetizers like Sabatini's or can you only order one and share> There are 4 different appetizers and we would like to try them all. Is this possible ? If not, maybe 2? lol.. i want them all.. :p

I would love to know the answer to this...also....I liked Sterlings and would go back....DH says he could do without it...and would prefer whatever was served in the dining room....but the shrimp cocktail is worth the price for me...

I would go back again if there was a sampler plate of the different appetizers....or if it is acceptable to ask for one....also the desserts...yum.

I'd vote for the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. I'm giving it serious consideration for my husband's 50th birthday (how many times will he be 50?how many times are you going to celebrate 25?). The posts I have read about it previously spoke highly of it - I tried to do a search and the search engine is not cooperating right now, but why don't you search and read.

If you do not see it on the menu, ask anyway. They want you to be happy. My guess is, they'll bring it to you. I have found on the two Princess cruises I have been on, if you ask nicely, they'll do just about anything for you.

If you are on the "traditional" dining plan, can you still enjoy one of the specialty restaurants one night or do you risk losing your seating on the "traditional" plan? We are cruising on Crown in Sept - our first Princess cruise - can't wait!

P.S This site is filled with amazing bits of information - too easy to get distracted from work!

If you are on the "traditional" dining plan, can you still enjoy one of the specialty restaurants one night or do you risk losing your seating on the "traditional" plan? We are cruising on Crown in Sept - our first Princess cruise - can't wait!

P.S This site is filled with amazing bits of information - too easy to get distracted from work!

Your assigned table is for the duration and not given away no matter how many nights you dine elsewhere.

I usually mention to our waiter when we have plans in other restaurants as a courtesy.

My husband and I had dinner at Sterlings on the Dawn last year and it was lovely. I don't believe that there was a Sabatini's. However, if it is as romantic as everyone has been saying then we definitely will be having dinner there on our next cruise.

As for only celebrating your anniversary with one dinner,

shame on you :) Marriage is a celebration that keeps on going. Of course, you have to have the right person...:D :p :D

I have been to both and they are both excellent.

For a special occassion I d go to Sterling.

Its quieter and has some nice private corners.

Sabitini s is more noisey and isnt as romantic when the occassion calls for romance.

We really liked the dark, quiet, ambiance of Sterling.

Don

I have posted this same question on numerous boards and in posts that regards Sterlings. I am still hoping someone will answer my inquiry. Especially for those who have ate there. My question is, can you have more than one appetizer? I noticed there are four great sounding appetizers and we would like to sample them all. I know in Sabatinis you get a sample of all of them but nobody ever talks about Sterlings to whether you just get one or all.. Thank you. Hopefully I will get an answer soon to satisfy my palate.. lol :)

Your assigned table is for the duration and not given away no matter how many nights you dine elsewhere.

I usually mention to our waiter when we have plans in other restaurants as a courtesy.

Thanks for the information! We will opt for the traditional plan, knowing that we still have some flexibility. Much appreciated! :D

I have posted this same question on numerous boards and in posts that regards Sterlings. I am still hoping someone will answer my inquiry. Especially for those who have ate there. My question is, can you have more than one appetizer? I noticed there are four great sounding appetizers and we would like to sample them all. I know in Sabatinis you get a sample of all of them but nobody ever talks about Sterlings to whether you just get one or all.. Thank you. Hopefully I will get an answer soon to satisfy my palate.. lol :)

I cant imagine why they wont give you all the appe teezers but after that one HUGE shrimp cocktail you will be full.

Archived