I've just gotta say it!!

Thanks!

I have gotten the best advice on this board over years of travel. Here are just some of the things you all have helped me with:

1. We saved $80 booking parasailing on our own in Key West

2. Paradise Beach in Cozumel - need I say more:D

3. Booking the next cruise while on the cruise

4. Seaview Cafe is worth it!!

5. Travel Car Seats:D

6. Ways to get my son clean on our upcoming cruise

7. Learned how to order off the dinner menu for room service

8. Saved a ton of money booking the tour to one of the ruins in Costa Maya

9. Pre-tipping the cabin stewart - not everyone swears by it; but it really worked for us.

10. Once my in laws forced us on a Carnival cruise:p and I learned you could order custom calzones at their pizza place!

I estimate that what I have learned from this site so far has saved us at least $1500. As we travel with my son for the first time in less than 6 months I am sure what I have learned will save us tons of pain, suffering, heartache, and time.

You all really are amazing and true cruise travel experts:D

Sorry, I'm just feeling mushy this morning:)

Way to go!! Keep checking it though.. We booked a cruise for Sept in April and by watching it dropped 2x !!!!! We called and got ours reduced as well as those linked to ours. Have a great cruise!! :D

We booked our cruise thru RCI and in order to get a price adjustment, where do I need to look for a decrease on price? Is it the amount listed on RCCL's website or will they match a lower price that is published from another source?

I'm not sure how most people do it, but my dh just went on the RCCL website and went through a "mock" booking to see what the price came out as. It was $130 cheaper per person. However, when I called they said they were also running a special for folks from my state, so our total savings was $450.

Stbmom-

I would love to know all the inside tips and tricks that you used to save money, besides going off on your own on the islands ( we are planning on doing that too). I am traveling with a party of 6 (4 kids) and I need all the little tidbits of savings I can get. I did not know that you are able to order room service off of the dinner menu, is that on all ships? What ship were you on? We will be on the EOS in July. Thanks in advance for any helpful hints you can throw my way, or anyone else out there that knows a lot more than me. I am so addicted to this site, I can learn so much from everyone experience's, kudo's to you all!

Stbmom-

I would love to know all the inside tips and tricks that you used to save money, besides going off on your own on the islands ( we are planning on doing that too). I am traveling with a party of 6 (4 kids) and I need all the little tidbits of savings I can get. I did not know that you are able to order room service off of the dinner menu, is that on all ships? What ship were you on? We will be on the EOS in July. Thanks in advance for any helpful hints you can throw my way, or anyone else out there that knows a lot more than me. I am so addicted to this site, I can learn so much from everyone experience's, kudo's to you all!

I am the queen of saving money:D

Biggest way to save money is to plan ahead!

Read your cruise compass from top to bottom and go with all the free activities on board:p

But really, where you save money is going to depend on what is most important for you and your family.

The best advice I have seen for people traveling with older kids is to make sure they understand that their seapass card is costing money every time they use it! They may not realize that those arcade games are not free and that even if they get a coke or use the internet - it really is costing money.

Here are some other tips:

1. Pictures

Don't buy ANY pictures until the last night on the ship. Then go through all the photos that you have taken and buy the ones you truly love. You only have to buy one of each pose. Once you get home you can download the disclosure form that allows you to legally duplicate the pictures at your local pharmacy or super store. You can get extra pictures at a fraction of the price.

2. Liquids

Encourage your kids and yourself to drink the free beverages, then treat yourself ot a beverage that cost just once a day.

3. Ask!

Lots of things are free on the ship! Like cookies:D Even if they are selling them on one part of the ship, you may be able to get them delievered to your room for free.

4. Room service is free and you can order off the dinner menu on all RCCL ships:D Just go to the dining room early in the day and ask to see a menu. You can figure out what you want to order than call in that room service order during normal dining hours.

5. Doing excursions on your own. You do need to make sure you research them in advance though and make sure you are dealing with a reputable company. Also, to be on the safe side, we ALWAYS take our solo excursions first thing in the morning. That way we KNOW we will be back on the ship in plenty of time before departure.

6. If you forget little things, try not to buy them on the ship. If you are stopping at any U.S. port - find a local Walgreens, CVS, etc. and pick up the items there.

I'll post more tips as I think of them:D

I also have saved money because of this website, and I love getting all the tips. I always book right through the cruiseline, and then I keep calling to check on the price. I have saved about $1400 on my cruise in July, the last was a fluke. I was calling to check on my October cruise and the lady told me that I could get a state discount on my July cruise ( another 220), then I have to call my DS and DB to tell them, so now all my drinks will be on them ( yeah right), the October cruise I have save 400 ( total) so far, but final payment is nto til July so I will keep checking after that.

We booked through a TA and that was the biggest mistake ever. never again! We are not getting any discounts, cocktail parties , nothing. I cannot even find a discount out there at all for the EOS in July. I did find a state one but it is for the JS and I have my girls across the hall from me and they told me that if I switch rooms now I would have to cancel out of the group we are going with and book directly with RCCL and they we would not even sit together and then we would have a cancellation fee and everything. NEVER AGAIN, CRUISE NETWORK is the worst TA out there! I will always book with RCCL from now on (as long as we enjoy thie ship,which I am sure we will).

Using a local TA can help you get benefits as well ($$credits on board,free champagne or wine in room,handling your excursions,custom air).

The price drops you get from RCI a good TA can get as well just by picking up a phone if they are aware of the price drop. I would never go with a website travel service # 1 or a TA that wasn't highly recommended by someone.

I have booked online and by phone with RCI and have found both to be easy:) . If I have anything else more difficult travel or cruise wise I feel a knowledgable TA can be an assest in your corner.

Please can you tell me about Paradise Beach in Cozumel. A am on th eMariner in a few weeks - yipee and have nothing booked for there. Thanks

Absolutely beautiful!!

When we were there 2 years ago it was just $5 to get access to all the water equipment including snorkeling equipment, kyaks, ect.

There is no cost to go on the beach. They have tons of lounge chairs with umbrellas too! All at no costs!

It is owns by a Canadian couple who can be found on the ports board. The food is great and they used purified water for everything - so eating and drinking at the site is very safe:)

Hello,

I booked our March 07 cruise on the BOS w/ Costco. It is, to the penny, the exact amount as going thru RCCL direct. But - since they can't discount the price for their members, they added trip insurance, champagne & strawberry tray, and a wine & cheese tray - complimentary!

This will be the 3rd cruise I've booked thru Costco - they have given me the best deal every single time. They also said to check back, as if the cruise goes down they can almost always get the discount after the fact. Nothing is 100% - but they will try. So far, ours has only gone up in price.

This thread is a welcome change from the recent wave of negativity.

One thing I will add is that the tips being posted here might be more useful when posted under the established categories such as "money saving tips", "ports of call" etc.

Archived