Booked our first cruise with RCI

After MUCH deliberation among many itineraries and ships, we've chosen the 8-night Eastern Caribbean sailing on Radiance of the Seas. I've seen the ship on the Travel Channel before, and it's beautiful. We managed to snag the much-coveted JS 1100 stateroom, and we're trilled. Now, we just have to wait until March 2008 to sail! :D

I just returned(june 2-11) from my first RCCL cruise on the Explorere of the Seas. I have to say the ship was beautiful and the best thing was the concierge and the lounge- take full advantage -the conceirge may be the nicest , most helpful person on the ship. That being said- I have been on several Celebrity cruises and a Carnival -I have to say the food on RCCL was mediocre--not awful- just not great. And we encountered many of the ship personell who were just NOT NICE. It was surprising. If your ship has specialty restaurants give them a try- we had Portofino and it was so good( especially in comparison) that we went twice.It was well worth the $20pp.

Sorry, but Junior Suites do not qualify for the Concierge Lounge. I was on Radiance in May and didn't enounter a single employee who was less than polite and eager to please, with the exception of 1 young man at the tour desk. You/ve made a great choice for your first RCI cruise!

I've sailed with RCI 10 times -- #11 will be this July -- and I have to tell you the Radiance is the finest ship I've sailed on in my 36 cruises. I have heard raves from other experienced cruisers as well.

I must respectfully disagree with the other poster who did not care as much for the food on his/her first RCI cruise as on Carnival. I have always found the RCI meals to be just fine and a cut above Carnival though Carnival has improved its food over the years. My first cruise was in 1981 on the old "Carnivale" ship, one of Carnival's three ships at that time.

You will note that Radiance is beautifully decorated -- Windjammer is especially well laid out and attractive, as is Schooner Bar and the various dining rooms. My balcony cabin was the best cabin I've had at sea -- I loved everything about it. I'm trying Navigator (larger ship) next month and hope it measures up. I am not a fan of gigantic ships but willing to give Voyager class a try. We shall see...........

Yes, you DO have a long wait ahead of you for your Radiance cruise. Until then, enjoy the anticipation.

quote=Stevie17]After MUCH deliberation among many itineraries and ships, we've chosen the 8-night Eastern Caribbean sailing on Radiance of the Seas. I've seen the ship on the Travel Channel before, and it's beautiful. We managed to snag the much-coveted JS 1100 stateroom, and we're trilled. Now, we just have to wait until March 2008 to sail! :D

I did not mean to imply the Carnival food was fabulous- though Celebrity was- I think the issue may have been that we chose late seating dinner( have always done early) OUr waiter implied that all the food was cooked at the same time so our food may have been " in holding " for a couple of hours before we got it. And it was the explorer out of NY- I am in the food business and know suppliers can make the difference. Though I did - or should have said Portofino was exceptional....I am trying Princess next to see how their food measures up.

For the most part, I've found the food on all of my cruises to be adequate in the main dining rooms, but consitantly across all lines, the food has been great at the specialty restaurants. We don't mind paying a surcharge at specialty restaurants if the food is really good.

Archived