Live From The Crown !!

cruisesusie

Susan,

Thanks so much for all your information.

I agree with the others in thanking you for taking the time to fill us in. I just found out about this board [i've been following the one on the Roll Call board]. I'm afraid that I, too, have a question for you.

We will be on the next sailing, and I'm the one who is gathering the information for the people in our Cruise Critic group. I've been trying to contact James Lay, the CD, but when I address the email to crownprincess@princess.com [the way email has always been addressed to the Princess ships], it comes back as undeliverable, 'user unknown'. Do you have any idea how I can address email to get it to the ship? or to get in touch with James directly?

Any information you can provide would be very much appreciated.

(and now I won't take any more time from your vacation! :) )

Thanks-

phyllis

Phyllis, our contact for our get-together on the Crown has been Jan James, and her email is jjames@princess.com, so try jlay@princess.com

Carol

Susan,

Thanks so much for all your information.

I agree with the others in thanking you for taking the time to fill us in. I just found out about this board [i've been following the one on the Roll Call board]. I'm afraid that I, too, have a question for you.

We will be on the next sailing, and I'm the one who is gathering the information for the people in our Cruise Critic group. I've been trying to contact James Lay, the CD, but when I address the email to crownprincess@princess.com [the way email has always been addressed to the Princess ships], it comes back as undeliverable, 'user unknown'. Do you have any idea how I can address email to get it to the ship? or to get in touch with James directly?

Any information you can provide would be very much appreciated.

(and now I won't take any more time from your vacation! :) )

Thanks-

phyllis

FYI - I handled the Meet-n-Greet for our Group on the July 20th Cruise and e-mailed Jan James On Board Services Director for the Crown. They DO NOT want you to contact the Cruise Director for these requests. She will be glad to help you if you contact her. jjames@princess.com.

thank you so much for your help! -----

and for the 'heads up' so I don't make a 'faux pas' and approach the CD

(when I've sailed with Rich Joseph [as the CD], he wanted to be the one who was contacted!)

anyway -

thanks again ----

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE :)

phyllis

Could you give me more info about the Crown Grill? Can you order more than 1 of the steaks? Sounds like I'll pass on the lobster,I'm not a hug fan of whole lobster. But I would like to hear what is on the rest of the menu.Sounds like you are having a wonderful cruise. Thanks so much for keeping us informed while you are cruising.

Laura

Susan and Bassethound:

Have been following both threads, trying to soak up as much info on the Crown as possible (like everyone else). Glad you combined to one thread; sounds like you're having a great time and thank you for taking time during your vaca to post for all of us :) .

I have a 12yo daughter, who will be 1 month shy of 13 when we cruise. I don't know if you or anyone you are cruising with has children in this age range, but was just wondering how the programs are / what the activities are for these age groups. Also, if you know if she would be allowed to be in the 13-15 age group, since she will be so close to 13 (rather than the 8-12 age group).

Enjoy the rest of your cruise and again, thanks for keeping us updated!!

GB - I do hope that they are flexible and let your daughter in the teen group. Last year we had a horrible experiance on the NCL Dawn when they would not allow my sons best friend in the teen group (he was going to turn 13 the NEXT WEEK!) Of course they would not allow my son in the younger group as he was already 13. My sons friend had a deep booming voice, 5'10" 150 lbs - he looked odd "chillin" with the tiny 8 year olds who were fingerpainting. When he tried to follow my son into the teen group, he was barred immediately. Needless to say, both boys stayed away (my son to keep his friend company) and they tried to roam the ship during the whole cruise with no place to go and we always had to chase them down constantly to keep them with us or checking in with us. (We did have walkie talkies but they were hard to use) . I was not pleased, I'd rather the teens/preteens be in their own area doing their own thing - makes for a better cruise for them and for the other passengers. I always thought that they should put middle school/high school together, or be flexible if the child is a month away.

The oddest thing I saw on the NCL Dawn was some sort of "pirate Parade" when they brought the little toddlers and younger kids on a parade throughout the Whole ship like a Conga Line. They had dressed the kids as pirates with face paint and all and the little ones were shouting some sort of Pirate chanty. At the end of the line of the cute younger kids were about 5 large looking 12 or 12 1/2 year olds looking totally mortified of having to parade throughout the ship. They were sort of looking at the ground and shuffling along miserably and looked really out of place.

I know Carnival was flexible with my older son at that age and let him hang out with his friend in the teen group when he was nearly 13. So I will always like Carnival because of that flexiblity.

Both boys gave us a thumbs down to NCL Dawn this year and are looking forward to the cool looking hang out area on the Crown and meeting other kids thier own age there.

Thanks so much for all the info................One question.........

My Dad can;t do the ladders in and out of the pools..........I was told the Sanctuary pool has stairs into it..Are there any other pools with stairs into it.........As it sounds like Dad might not get near the Sanctuary other than maybe port days.......

There is usually plenty of yummy things to try and to eat and for me certainly no need to pay for extras. But I have the same question as the previous poster, what items are free outside the buffet and pizza? Are there free Tapas like Dawn? Or something similar? If not, I will just wait until dinner.

What are "free Tapas"? I was on the Dawn in April and was not aware of tapas ( free or otherwise ).

My Dad can;t do the ladders in and out of the pools..........I was told the Sanctuary pool has stairs into it..Are there any other pools with stairs into it.........As it sounds like Dad might not get near the Sanctuary other than maybe port days.......

since I won't be on the ship until Friday, I can't say definitely, but judging from the other ships, I think the Terrace Pool [all the way aft] should be OK [it has stairs on a least a few of the ships that I've been on]

maybe someone from this cruise could tell you definitely ------

or else I can after Friday

phyllis

We like to think of tapas as appetizers and we will typically order 4-5 menu items. Just as an fyi, here's the menu from one of the tapas restaurants we visit regularly in Baltimore:

http://www.tapasteatro.net/menu.htm

Enjoy! ;)

p.s. I have no affiliation with this restaurant.

What are "free Tapas"? I was on the Dawn in April and was not aware of tapas ( free or otherwise ).

Question for Susan (or Bassethound if he knows),

I beleive you mentioned that you are in a mini-suite? Does it have a little coffee pot in the room? When I was on the NCL Dawn a couple of years ago, it had a 2-cupper coffee pot and I loved to be able to make a quick cup of tea and sit on the balcony.

Thanks for helping us soon-to be "Crowners" out w/ any info while you're enjoying it now!;)

Mer

since I won't be on the ship until Friday, I can't say definitely, but judging from the other ships, I think the Terrace Pool [all the way aft] should be OK [it has stairs on a least a few of the ships that I've been on]

maybe someone from this cruise could tell you definitely ------

or else I can after Friday

phyllis

I'm sorry to say the Aft pool "most Likely" (not positively) does not have stairs. From the pictures I've seen of it, it is the same as the Carribean Princess and I've seen the aft pool first hand and it has a ladder only.

The spa pool is the best bet.

Just an aside - my son lives in Baltimore and last year he said he wanted to take us to a "tapas" restaurant. Of course, I thought he said topless! That was a shocker! But then we enjoyed the appetizer type food. It seems very popular in the Baltimore area. It hasn't made it to Long Island, that I know of. Of course, I don't get out all that much either! REALLY looking forward to the Crown next month.

Both the Spa pool and the Terrace Pool (unless modified from other Grand Class Ships) have steps into the pool. In addition, (despite all the hoopla about the "Sactuary") the spa area pool has been and presumably still will be available to all (except -17 yolds) for the majority of the day...anyone know differently?

That's soooo funny! I suppose there could be a "Topless Tapas" restaurant opening soon near you! LOL! :D

There's also another one we love in Baltimore - Pazo.

Just googled and there is a tapas restaurant in Long Island City named Pimenton, 21-50 44th Drive and, of course, many in Manhattan. Happy dining! ;)

Sorry this is OT - Back to the Crown.

Just an aside - my son lives in Baltimore and last year he said he wanted to take us to a "tapas" restaurant. Of course, I thought he said topless! That was a shocker! But then we enjoyed the appetizer type food. It seems very popular in the Baltimore area. It hasn't made it to Long Island, that I know of. Of course, I don't get out all that much either! REALLY looking forward to the Crown next month.

Hi Everyone,

Today we're in Jamaica. We've been here before so didn't do any of the excursions - just walked around a bit - not much to see around the pier. Very hot and sunny. Tomorrow Grand Cayman.

There's plenty of storage in the minis - in addition to 2 drawers in each night table, there are several shelves next to the closet and an area under the TVs. The closet in huge. There isn't a coffee pot. After closer inspection I decided the balcony furniture is aluminum.

Pools - I'll check to see if there are stairs or a ladder. I don't go in the pools - can't swim.

Crown Grill - you can order everything on the menu if you wish. The appetizers and soups and salads all sound wonderful - My husband and I each had different appetizers and soups - all delicious. We're eating there again tomorrow - I'll let you know if food continues to be excellent.

Susan

Archived