Table Size?

Mixed Up

Which would you choose?

We always take a table that will just seat our party, either a two or a four. The big reason for sharing a table is that you get to meet and talk to other people. I see that as a disadvantage - imagine having to sit with someone you didn't get on with for the duration of your trip (either that or eat all your meals in the Lido/Kings Court).

When my friend cruises with me (we are both women in our 50's) we ask for a table for 6 or 8 so we can meet people and get to mingle a bit. We have always had delightful, or "interesting" at best, tablemates.

When my husband and I cruise together, we ask for a table for two so we can enjoy the fine dining as we would at home at a fine resort or restaurant -- just us!!

It all depends on how "social" you want to be.

Not yet been on QM2, and not sure how their tables are configured, but on other cruises my wife and I usually ask for a table for 6, preferably round, as we feel a round table best facilitates conversation.

Tables for 8 we think too large in most circumstances.

Molly,

I don't think many lines will guarantee a particular table size, however we have always managed to swap to a table for 2 after visiting the Maitre D'

It may be that because we prefer early seating it is easier to acquire a table for 2, but we have had no problems.

We were on QM2 on April and had requested a table for 2, but found we were actually seated on a table for 4. We didn't bother changing it the first day and found that no-one turned up at our table that evening or subsequent evenings, so it seemed that although there were no actual small tables available we were seated as requested.

Does the QM2 guarantee a table for 2 when requested or do you have to go to the dining room and check upon boarding as you do with most other lines?

I can't comment on the QM, but on the QE they have always given us the table size we want. In the brochure they say "Please note that while every effort will be made to meet these preferences [table size, sitting preference and smoking] , we cannot guarantee to do so in all cases".

I am seated at a table for 6. We have never been on a cruise before and are doing a TA in August. Our travel agent suggested a table for 6 -- you meet people and if you do have a tablemate that you're not happy with it would be easy to converse with someone else at the table.

I have read that if things are really intolerable, speaking with the maitre d' after the meal can usually set things right. It doesn't seem to be an issue if you want to be relocated to another table, although you may not have a choice of the number of people at the table.

Personally I would like to sit at a large table but also be able to have the option for a table for two. I guess there's no harm in asking if a table for two is available when you arrive for dinner.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll have a great time and lots of great meals.

Regards,

Sue

Hmmmm. Travel agent never asked us for our QM2 trip this December but my partner and I were put down for a table for 6. Although I tend to agree with phnmrk - I usually hate to sit with strangers in a regular restaurant - I think one can ask to be reassigned to another table so you don't have to be "stuck" with someone. I would in the case of some whom I would consider to be obnoxious. In the best case, you get to meet people from other places and sometimes good conversations can be struck up. If they turn out to be not so great conversationalists then at least I have a partner to talk to. I never look at a cruise dinner as being the same as going out for a nice restaurant visit and so I force myself to socialize if just for a few hours. To me the dining room is the one place most of us will socialize with the others as most tend to stick with their small groups during the day and evening activities. I don't think I'd probably talk to anyone I didn't know if it wasn't for the dining room.

I'd definitely go with a table for two if it was a special thing like Todd English where you are going to go for the experience.

Just me!

On our first QM2 cruise, Jan 2004 inagural we had requested a table for two and that is what we got so I was not sure if it was a guaranteed thing or not- the nice part was , and I don't know if it is still the case, but our table number was on the card and the dining room was open so everyone could wander around and find their table so we knew that it was a table for 2 and we did not have to go and reconfirm it like we usually do

Does the QM2 guarantee a table for 2 when requested or do you have to go to the dining room and check upon boarding as you do with most other lines?

You can request a table for two but it would be best to check on boarding (you will find information about your table number and postion waiting for you in your cabin, then nip down to Britannia to change if you want to).

Whatever the table size, or position (Deck 2 or 3, near a window or overlooking the central "well") you want, it does no harm to check and ask to be moved once you've boarded (and accept that it may not be possible to move you). It's been my experience that by booking your voyage as early as possible you get your choice of 1st or 2nd seating and table size. The later you book the more likely you are to be put on a wait list for the requested seating time and put on a large table because that is all that's left. (I assume you're in Britannia, if you're in the Grills then you'd be almost certain to get a table for 2 if you ask). A good idea, if you've not been in the Britannia Resturant before, is to look closely at photographs of the room. This will give you some idea of where the tables for two are positioned, from memory very few (if any) are near the windows for example. Remember, there is a limit to these tables for 2 and if they've all gone, they've all gone! (I witnessed a scene some years back (not on QM) where a guy almost forced a couple (mid meal, from a table that they'd had for several nights) because "I don't like my table and that is my table 'cus I travel on this tub more often" He tried to get a waiter to move the couple! All involved ignored him and he eventually made a show of sitting (with his partner) at a larger table. Not suggesting you'd behave that way!).

Hope this helps, enjoy your voyage.

On our recent QM2 cruise this past January we requested a table for 6 but only one other couple surfaced. Unfortunately, our other tablemates didn't speak a word of English and were not terribly friendly.

We ended up meeting a lovely lady and her niece at lunch one day, they asked us to join their table of eight. We ended up at that table (147) with eleven of us altogether. We thoroughly enjoyed this experience, we all became quite friendly and often met up afterwards for Pub Trivia.

I would encourage you to request a larger table of six or eight. It is great fun to speak to your tablemates each evening and share your daily adventures with them. Have a great cruise and don't miss the sticky pudding.

Cruiserking;)

My cousin and I were on the same cruise in January as CruiserKing. When I made my reservations through Cunard, I requested to be seated at a table for six - second seating. All my documents prior to the cruise confimed this.

We were very lucky with our tablemates. There was a German couple and an English couple. We had the best time and exchanges email addresses before the end of the cruise. We still keep in touch today.

On my next cruise, Labor Day 06, I again requested the table for six at the second seating. Karie and Marc - who I also met on the January cruise are going on this cruise too, so we linked our dinner reservations and will be sitting together.

Just remember, strangers are friends you haven't met yet.:D

Bon Voyage

Maria

Well said Maria. Being the hermit I am I prefer to take the chance on a cruise and hope that a wonderful meeting of cultures and minds take place. There's something wonderful about a crowd on a cruise ship that has yet to be matched at the United Nations. Sure, there are some horror stories but would we never go outside of our homes just in case it rains? I think the positives outweighs the negatives.

Maria, your stories send us positive vibes. All the best. I've been following the messages between you and Penny recently. She's a fellow cruiser on the Dec 2 QM2 cruise of which I am on. Good luck! Too bad you are not on our December trip.

Hi Bramcruiser,

Thank you for the kind words. To tell you the truth, I listed you as coming on the Labor Day cruise. I got your name from the original post by Planet Cadillac and just added you to the list.

You sure you are not coming on that cruise too?:confused:

Believe me, if I could manage the cruise in December I would be on it like white on rice.(where does that saying come from anyway?) Unfortunately, after I finish chemo, I get a two or three week break and then start six weeks of radiation, five days a week. That brings me pretty close to Thanksgiving, which I prepare since my Mom passed five years ago.

You know, now that I think of it, I think my family should chip in for it for my 60th Birthday in August and buy me the ticket. I will hint broadly and have a little tear in my eye as I bow my hairless head. Yeah, that ought to do it.

Maria - who is not above theatrics ;)

Maria, I had thought of that Labour (can't get out of the habit of the Canadian/British spelling) Day cruise. I almost booked it too but I came to the conclusion that my two previous cruises were both 4 day'ers and I really needed to move up to a full week. I was just lucky to find the Dec 2 cruise which was a week less expensive than a usual 6 day transatlantic. Otherwise I probably would have joined you and Karie. This is one Canadian who has never been to the east coast of his own country even though I visited the Pacific side about a million times. One can't plan where their relatives move to. If you have me down for your cruise I am afraid you have to take me off. If I could swing it I would but I just put down a deposit for a QE2 cruise in Europe in 2007 and I am still trying to figure out how I will pay for that.

I wish you all the best with your chemo. What else are families for - go for it! ha ha ha! If not this year I am sure there are many more fascinating Cunard adventures for us all that we eventually see everyone.

Oh and go for the theatrics. I love good (or is it bad) drama!

Usually ask for table for 2 if only my Husband and I are cruising otherwise depends on the size of the party. Have not always got it but only once have we had disagreeable people on our table(first cruise & first meal HE said there was NOTHING on the menu he liked.was rude to the waiter and openly said he did not want to sit with us as he wanted a table for 2) We were glad that he got it!!!!! the people who replaced them were delightful and we keep in touch and have even been on another cruise with them. So it is all in the luck of the draw., after all most people are interesting,we only ask for a table for 2 as my Husband is slightly deaf and finds it difficult to converse with several people talking at once. Much better now he has a digital hearing aid.

What's wrong with spelling things the proper way:confused: :D

LOL! Thanks for the chuckle. I have so many American friends who keep telling me I put "u"'s into every word that I end up always apologizing for the way I spell. We Canadians are an odd lot - we spell like the British but we drive our cars like the Americans.

David

Who sees a movie in a theatre and not a theater!:D

Go for it Maria...do the drama bit up good. With a bald head and a tear in the eye as you wistfully, of course, ponder birthdays to come!! What family memeber could ignore that? And 60? How many times does that milestone come??? Want me to write your screenplay for this bit of drama? And what would be better recouperation after radiation (yikes!) than a week away from ice and snow in a sunny, warm place...sort of where the Dec 2nd trip is going. Boy, if you don't play that one up good I'll be ashamed of you. Anyone who can wear head jewels and pull it off can do this piece of cake!

As to tables, we've asked for an 8 since there are 4 of us...figure we have a chance at someone enjoyable and as other have said you can always ask for a change.

David...spell any way you like and don't apologize or even apologise....and you must get to eastern Canada...beautiful!!! Cheers, Penny

Penny,

Will your script help me to be worthy of an Academy Award? If so, go for it. Having a house on Fire Island, I am such a "Drama Queen" anyway.:cool:

David,

I don't care how anyone spells, misspells or abreviates, as long as they write! I love reading and responding to these threads. So little time, so many friends to make. :D

Maria - who is calling Cunard today - just for info purposes of course.;)

Yeah I never thought how I spelled mattered - except for a few I guess. If this was an English class almost everyone on these boards would fail! But thanks Penny and Maria - I like my own unique Canadian English and will stick to it!

Hmmmm. An Academy Award winner being conjured up in our very midsts. We'll be talking about this for years. I see Maria doing some Norma Desmond type of dramatic walk onto the QM2. With a Fire Island headpiece of course. The queen of the eight person table. The ultimate cancer surivor. Move over Shelly Winters, the nautical set has a new heroine!

Call Maria! Info doesn't cost anything!

Absolutely Maria...make that call and just remember my favorite saying..."life is short...eat dessert first!!!" And what the heck, it's a free call right? Just hope you don't wait as long for a real person as I did this morning with HAL...15 minutes...cleaned all the bathroom mirrors, did the vanities in all 3 (4 if you count the 2 in our bath) while I held and finally hung up!!! They don't call me Ms Multi-tasker for nothing!!!

Excellent casting David...what a script this must be!!! MAybe I'd better put a call into my son, the REAL screenwriter!! Cheers, Penny

Archived