horseback riding questions...

CVL105

I've seen some posts regarding the companies you can book with. Not sure which is the best, which tour route is the best, etc. So just looking for some suggestions.

I also see that at one of the companies they offer a ride to the natural bridge, but I read somewhere that it's no longer there. Is this true? If so, I take it they won't offer that tour route any more.

we are booked with rancho del campo to go for a 2 hour ride. I have read good reviews about them and when corresponding with them they have

been very professional. Their web site is www.ranchodelcampo.com We leave tomorrow foir our cruise and will be horsebackriding on the beach on Tuesday!!!!!We cant wait.

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

We took the horseback riding trip to the natural pool and it was really worth it. I am not sure who we went with but we booked the tour through the Renaissance. The bridge is no longer there, but this was not part of our tour.

• 2 weeks later...
we are booked with rancho del campo to go for a 2 hour ride. I have read good reviews about them and when corresponding with them they have

been very professional. Their web site is www.ranchodelcampo.com We leave tomorrow foir our cruise and will be horsebackriding on the beach on Tuesday!!!!!We cant wait.

Hope this helps

Kimbakita, You should be back so how was the ride?????

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

We have ridden twice with Rancho Notorious.....beware.

They do not provide a safe environment in large groups.....

First experience with them was ok, we booked on our own and did the beach/lighthouse/snorkel tour. There were only 6 riders, but 2 got scared and went back. This was a beautiful tour over the sand dunes, past the lighthouse and then to the beach. They were not going to let us snorkel, because the other couple (we were not with the other couple) had not purchased that part of the tour. We insisted since we had paid for it, they gave us the equiptment and gave us 15 minutes. That was barely enough time to get in the water.

The second trip was CHAOS.....we liked the first trip enough that we booked it again, this time though it was thru the boat. It seems they no longer take reservations on their own as the cruiselines have contracts with them. This trip had 20 + people on our tour (we had 10, including 2 young kids). There were only 2 guides (1 was brand new and didn't know the area), they got us on horses that seemed upset from the start, and they didn't put them in any particular order, even though later they said some of the horses need to be in front so they don't bite the others in front of them. They seperated our entire party in the line, I was in back (I am an experienced rider), my husband was in the middle and my daughter was at the front with the guide. The rest of our part was someone in the line. About 30 minutes into the ride, our cousin's saddle came off and the horse threw him, the lady in front of me freaked out and wanted to go home, whiched caused the entire line to stop for 15 minutes, this pissed the horses off. While this was going on, the horse my cousin was on took off, the guide caught him and started beating him, which caused him to kick him and trample him. The other guide did nothing. During this chaos my 8 yr old daughter's horse took off on its own, it was about 5 minutes before I realized that she was gone, since I could not see the front. When I realized she was gone I took off after her, the guide try to pull me off my horse and said she probably walked back to the stable. Since that was not acceptable, I tried to locate her and found her about 1/2 mile away behind a tree. She was scared, but otherwise ok. The horse decided to eat. We asked to leave the tour and the guide refused, since the other woman was leaving and they didn't have enough room in the van. We were forced to continue on to the chapel, about another 30 minutes. During the rest of the ride, the horses were upset and tried to kick and bite the ones in front/behind them

At the chapel the horses began bucking including mine and my 12 yr old son's. We had enough and forced them to call another van. When we returned to the camp there was no apology hope you tell the cruiseline we loved them. To the contrary....we told the RCI about the excursion and they said they would look into it for us. Nothing ever happened, except to be told that that's the way it goes with horses sometimes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi folks,

Bumping this!

I'm a cruising newbie, looking forward to my Royal Caribbean AOS cruise in Sept. I love horseriding, and would love to give it a go at one of our ports... i hear Aruba has it, so woudld love to know your experiences and recommendations. I've read a few bad reviews of Rancho Notorious, and poor treatment of the horses :eek: so I'd like to book with a reputable and friendly stables if possible. Thanks a million!

I have a friend who is a long time visitor of Aruba as well as experienced rider and she rides with http://www.rancholaponderosaaruba.com/ at least once or twice each visit to Aruba.

FWIW, my daughter and 2 nieces rode with http://www.ranchonotorious.com/ last December (before I knew about Rancho La Ponderosa) and had no problems whatsoever. Rancho del Campo has had some reports of extremely emaciated horses. As my friend explained to me "all of the horses in aruba are thinner than the ones you see here in the usa. the horses eat about half of what a usa resident horse would eat due to their appetitie being smaller due to their breed and the heat." She noted that riders must know the difference between a thin horse and an emaciated one and that La Pondersa and Notorious feed their horses the same regimine.

I would steer away from Rancho Daimari. We had an unfortunate experience with them in that they represented themselves as another company who we were already booked with. No wonder the driver was rushing us to get to the waiting van. He wanted us to get in "his" van before our operator's van showed up. We later found out it is a common practice for Daimari to see tourists at resort lobbies waiting for pick ups and they try to grab them for their tours instead. Shame on them! :mad:

• 1 month later...

We visited Aruba on the Adventure of the Seas on 9/23. We booked online before arriving and we were told there would be a blue or gray van. Instead they sent a taxi with someone from the ranch. Once we confirmed it was Ponderosa, we hopped in and had a mini-tour of Aruba on the way to the ranch. The horses are beautiful and were spunky, making for a fantastic ride. There were 16 or so riders with several guides. You ride over a hill to the beach. Once we got to the beach, you could let your horse run and they did. We rode to some ruins and then were given a cold bottle of water and the opportunity to walk around the ruins or check out the beach. We explored the beach and built a rock tower. It was then time to remount and this was the best part of the ride. Patrick said he was looking for a leader so I let my horse gallop to the front. It was incredible. We then climbed the hill and eventually made it to a paved road. We only saw one car, which kindly pulled over until all of us had passed. We then trotted back to the ranch. This was a beautiful sight and sound. Truly an outstanding adventure and one we rank as a highlight of our cruise. :D

Archived