Eggcrates as standard equipment

OuiOnboard

We always ask for an eggcrate as soon as we arrive at our room after boarding the ship. From what we have read on here, it seems that many,many pax do this to compensate for the hardness of the beds. Could it be that we "crate" people are the majority....and if so, perhaps Princess will start putting crates on the beds as standard with optional removal on request. Thoughts?

...............Oui :)

We always ask for an eggcrate as soon as we arrive at our room after boarding the ship. From what we have read on here, it seems that many,many pax do this to compensate for the hardness of the beds. Could it be that we "crate" people are the majority....and if so, perhaps Princess will start putting crates on the beds as standard with optional removal on request. Thoughts?

The Egg Crate helped this time a lot. I sleep on a tempur pedic and its hard for me to sleep on anything else.

I bought a 2 tempur pedic memory foam topper that I am going to take aboard our next cruise.

I live in fl about an hour and a half and away so it so not that big of a deal, plus it folds up and its not that big...its wrapped in plastic...if for some reason I can't fold it up at the end of my cruise then its not a big deal, I will leave it and someone will have a nice topper on their bed...plus I bought it off ebay for 50.00 which IMO is well worth a good nights sleep during the cruise.

I have actually requested an eggcrate to be put on the bed before we get onboard our honeymoon adventure. We needed to fax the written request, but having read all of the opinions on the beds, I felt pretty sure that we would need one.

I don't see why Princess would automatically put them on the beds, though. It might make sense, but there are still plenty of people that don't use them, and I doubt the ship even has enough eggcrates to furnish every single bed. It's like the Robe issue - you can request it, but it isn't automatically there (except for suites?)

That's just what I think, based on my VERY limited knowlege. :)

Egg-crates are great but you do have to ask for them.

That's something we wouldn't have known or even thought about if we hadn't read it on the CC boards last year.

Some hotels in the States are upgrading their mattresses and pillows to compete with a major chain which has great ones, so there is a chance the cruise industry will as well. Until then, we'll keep asking for the crates....

P.S. Sure would like to be the next person in the cabin where you leave that topper but I bet the cruise line has rules about not using things like that left by a passenger.

Personally, I do not like the egg crate thing and don't want it on my bed. I do, however, like the softer pillows and always ask for them as soon as I get into my cabin. And, just as an aside, those mattress toppers are not easy to fold back up. They come vacuum packed and look so nice a compact. Well, wait until you try to fold it back the way it was.

We always ask for an eggcrate as soon as we arrive at our room after boarding the ship. From what we have read on here, it seems that many,many pax do this to compensate for the hardness of the beds. Could it be that we "crate" people are the majority....and if so, perhaps Princess will start putting crates on the beds as standard with optional removal on request. Thoughts? ...............Oui :)

We tried one on our last trip (after seeing all the positive comments on this board) and wonder why we didn't request on each time. We will now...;)

Personally, I do not like the egg crate thing and don't want it on my bed. I do, however, like the softer pillows and always ask for them as soon as I get into my cabin. And, just as an aside, those mattress toppers are not easy to fold back up. They come vacuum packed and look so nice a compact. Well, wait until you try to fold it back the way it was.

The one that I have isn't vacuum packaged....and even if I can't carry it off it was only around 50.00...

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a 2 tempur pedic memory foam topper that I am going to take aboard our next cruise.

quote]

I've done this for my last 3 Princess cruises. I trimmed a few inches off the bottom (my feet don't really need this) and I trimmed a few inches off the side (I don't think the beds are as wide a a true twin). Then I rolled it up and DH sat on it while I put two belts around it. No problem. Then we did it again for DH's foam. So much for traveling light, but what choice do we have if we want to get a good night's sleep on Princess?

DH and I are seriously considering HAL because of the Princess bed situation. But we don't want to lose Anytime Dining. It's a tough call, but we'll probably stick with Princess and haul the extra luggage. So sad that Princess believes most of its passengers would find these beds acceptable.

I heard that there was now a $15 charge for the egg crates now. :D

Just kidding, I could not resist. :p

For the past 6 cruises on Princess in the last 3yrs have requested the eggcrate topper as some of the mattresses are in bad shape. Remember you have all size and weights on these mattresses and some of them were like sleeping on a hammock. My hubby has a bad back and Thank God, we ordered an eggcrate on last cruise on the CB a new ship, as the mattress was higher on one side than the other and at least He was able to get some sleep. It is well worth the fax to Princess to have the eggcrate waiting for us upon our arrival in our stateroom.

Could it be that we "crate" people are the majority....and if so, perhaps Princess will start putting crates on the beds as standard with optional removal on request.

We were in an AA Suite on the Dawn Princess last month and the bad was made with an egg-crate thingy on it. Personally, I didn't like it and never have enjoyed sleeping on a piece of foam.

OK, so how do I go about getting an egg crate bed cover? We have a sleep number bed and are totally spoiled. Have a bad back and haven't had any problem sleeping (not woken up and been unable to move) since we got it. If the beds are in a queen do they just put 2 separate ones on the bed or do they actually have one large one that fits it?

My hubby wants the bed to be harder so he would just give the egg crate thingy back to the steward. On our last cruise, he brought along his own pillow as he hates the ones on the ship (he likes the down type). If there's not enough crate things and robes, there should be a place on the CP to request it with the expectation that it will be in your cabin when you get there. We had to ask a couple of times for the robes (we like to use them after going to the pool over our wet suits). And the option of a feather pillow can be a choice too (I don't mind the foamy type myself).

I'm sure most of you realize this is not just a problem with Princess beds. I've had really bad beds on Celebrity and RCI. Now that I have discovered the egg crates I always ask for them as soon as I board. Any lines known for great beds???

I'm sure most of you realize this is not just a problem with Princess beds. I've had really bad beds on Celebrity and RCI. Now that I have discovered the egg crates I always ask for them as soon as I board. Any lines known for great beds???

Carnival has upgraded their beds. I have not sailed with them since the upgrade, but I've heard the new beds are very comfortable.

The beds are comfortable!!.....The food may or may not be palatable......the staff resents being on board......your fellow passengers will be so rude and roudy; that you'll be grateful to go back to your cabin and you'll be willing to sleep on anything! That's Carnival!:eek:

Roz

You can fax Princess ahead of time or just wait until you board and ask your room Steward or both.

I have seen full size ones and single ones put together to make a full one. :)

Try faxing ahead. We couldnt get one last Sept on the CB even though we asked the steward immediately upon arriving at our cabin. He said there were none available.

Archived