Should I use a travel agent to book a cruise?

NYPanther

Our group used an experienced travel agent on my last cruise and some of us weren't thrilled with her as we had to "nudge" her several times to get answers to questions. She also told us that since we were booking a large number of staterooms, we would get 1 "free" and that savings would be divided equally among the group. That savings never materialized and in it's place we were all given a credit of $35, WELL under the amount we had figured out. Her excuse was that she has no control as to what RCI will rebate. Funny, she never mentioned that fact months prior to our cruise.

A few of us are planning a Baltic cruise in a year and we're thinking of booking it directly with Royal Caribbean since there was no obvious benefit booking with an agent.

Appreciate any advice from seasoned cruisers.

I think a lot depends on how "complicated" your trip is going to be. For instance, will you fly into one port and leave from another? Do you want an air deviation in order to fly in a few days early or stay a few days after? Do you want or need help with pre- or post- cruise hotels, transfers, and sightseeing?

If you book thru the cruise line, you'll get their air and their hotels, unless you want to book on your own. Personally, with foreign travel, I prefer to use a TA.

The worst TA I've had was on my first cruise. It was a group cruise and she seemed put out every time I asked her a question. I had to do the research on my own (thank God for Cruise Critic!), and then argue with her to get her to do what I wanted. On that cruise I didn't get to pick the agent. I've had better luck with TAs since then.

Roz

We have used TAs for our cruises because we have found they get better prices than we could - I know others will disagree with me, but that is our experience. The first TA we used for 2 cruises was great. He was recommended by my Secretary.

We received a gift certificate for another TA which we have used to book another cruise and were less than impressed. She has left the company and we are now at the mercy of another unknown, we can only hope she is more competant than the original employee.

My advice is to get a personal recommendation from someone you trust and get a TA who specilaizes in cruises - not just teh employee, but the company.

I have also used a TA as well and many times they will get better prices than we can.

We do most of the research ourself and could book the cruise but again many times they can get better rates and they can save us time on some of the followup.

As in everything in life there are exceptional TA's, average TA's and bad TA's.

I would ask any friends you know if they can recommend a TA. Also, in the future when you are on a cruise if you meet people that is something to bring up during a converstation. (eg, ask them if they like their TA and if they do get their name and number).

Keith

I'm a former TA and I'm going to answer, "Maybe." You should not use an agent you had to push to give you service, never again. So the old one is out the window. She does have some control over what RCI offers. She could easily have gotten them to change it to a cabin, it would only have taken a phone call or two.

You can do it a few ways. You could make it a group CC cruise. You would do it through Cruise Critic. You would get more people in you group and the planning can be cumbersome, but not outrageous. You would have to do a group meet, but other than that you may not even know who's in your group. Although your destination is going to preclude a large group.

You can go to a brick and morter TA. I suggest you interview them first. Sit down and be realistic about how much you will call them, what you expect from them and how much contact there will be between you. Obviously, daily calls are out, but once every other week to a month in the beginning then once a week as the cruise gets closer should be more than acceptable and the TA should be the one contacting you. It Can be by e-mail or a call, but there should be some interest in your future business. That's for a group btw, not an individual traveler. An individual traveler should not expect this level of handholding.

You should have the TA check the prices on a couple lines and get the free cabin or points info up front. Yes, RCI can be confuddling to work with for groups, but in general it's one free berth (not cabin) for every eight sold. So sixteen cabins should mean a free cabin. That's going to be in the category that your group sold the most of, so if your pals are in inside cabins you will be too.

Most cruiselines do not have a group booking department that the general public can call. When you're talking group they like a TA. That said if you know what you want an online TA will book it for you and then be sort of hands off. Just be sure to have some rapport if there is a problem.

If you think your group will only consist of a few cabins, not enough to earn a large credit, then you can book it yourself. Just make sure the line links the reservations so you will all eat together.

If you think you will need questions answered that you are not able or willing to find answers for while researching the trip you are planning, then it would be in your best interest to use an agent. There are good agents out there, so don't go back to the one that gave you poor service. Ask around and get recommendations for an agent. Names can not be mentioned here but many of the CC members will respond by e-mail if you ask.

Most of the time, I handle all our arrangments on my own, especially if there is no price difference in using an agent. BUT... if I have a trusted agent give me a better price than I can get on my own I use an agent.

The Cruise Critic boards are a wonderful tool for research. If you are willing to spend some time using the search feature and reading what others have written on your chosen cruiseline board and ports of call boards you will probably be better informed than some agents. ;) I have yet to find a question that I have had that has not already been asked and answered somewhere on Cruise Critic.

I use a TA because I always have a lot of questions which she has the patience to answer. She was also able to get us a better price if we were a little flexible on the week we wanted to travel.

My personal travel agent experience:

I booked our Alaska trip last year. I went to a local travel agent who supposedly specialized in Cruises (Carlson Wagonlit in Summerville, SC) and was going to book with them. She didn't return my calls for days, was trying to get my wife and I to join her group, but wasn't offering any incentive. No one at the agency knew anything about Alaska and I had to do my own research. One example is they expected it to less than twelve hours of daylight, even though the cruise is before the equinox. When I pointed out the fact that it was before the equinox she said that Alaska is different.

I stopped into a couple of other agencies and inquired as to whether there would be any advantage in booking with them over using the cruiseline websight. One offered lower prices on travel insurance. The other said, "You get to work with me." No thanks.

I made a reservation on the RCCL website.

Then, when I was in the local Costco store the next day, I saw their travel brochure. The prices were the same as the site and the other agencies, but they offered a $200 gift card for booking through them (that deal has expired, but they always have some sort of deal going on). I called and they were able to take over my RCCL reservation and offer lower priced travel insurance ($108 for two people for a $3500 trip).

I expect my gift card in early September, about two to three weeks after the August cruise. They also accepted the Crown and Anchor coupon and will apply that amount toward the gift card (not excactly the same as getting the cash off, but I'll take it).

I think so......we get quotes from about 4 different ones including the cruise line we're going on and keep coming back to the same one....can't tell it on here I don't believe but the TA we always use has a chain of shopping clubs everywhere ;) wholesale prices etc

Archived