Houston Area folks - help on "am I going to make my flights???"

gg3

Making connecting flights at George Bush Intercontinental and need some help on "am I going to make my flights???" Arriving in Houston at Terminal A at 6:45 am on Continental (commuter) , leaving out of Terminal A at 7:45 am on Air Canada. Is that enough time ???

On the return: Arriving in Houston in Terminal C (Continental - large jet) at 8:27 pm and flying out at 9:05 pm , Terminal A, (Continental - smaller commuter plane). Sounds like a very short amount of time. :eek:

As you can tell, I am not very airplane savy, so please help.

gg3,

I live just a few minutes from IAH and have used the airport many times. Your first fight looks OK, except that Continental Express uses Terminal "B" not "A," but I think your connection will not be a problem.

The return flight is a problem. I don't think you can make this connection unless you are very lucky. Also, I am not so sure you will be arriving at Terminal "C." Many of Continental's flights now use the newest IAH Terminal: "E." Very nice Terminal, but it is a long walk to any of the other Terminals. (It is a long walk just to get out of Terminal E.)

Thank you for replying. These flights are set in stone now as they are part of a package deal of flight+hotel+car. The info on line states these terminals, but we should get our tickets in the mail this week and perhaps the terminals will have changed. Re: the last schedule - will the plane wait at all if they know we are connecting via another terminal. This is the last flight into our hometown that night from Houston, so there in lies the rub. Are the airport folks helpful in showing us the quickest route and are their trams, etc. Doggone it - this puts a bit of a damper on my excitement.

OP - I agree with SPtrout the first looks ok, but the second is iffy. Since both of your flights are on Continental on the return flight, I would make the flight attendants aware of your situation. Not sure if they can do anything, but it is really the only choice you have.

SPTrout - I'm in Spring as well! Just moved here a few months ago!

aubesmom, welcome to Spring!

gg3,

It sounds like your preliminary flight arrival information is out-of-date. Also, it is very unusal in my experience for travel packages to say which terminals are being used unless there are no choices.

You did not mention where your return flight into Houston was coming from, only that it was a large plane. All of Continental's international arrivals are at Terminal E. All Continental domestic arrivals are split between Terminals C & E. Continental Express uses Terminal B, all other airlines use Terminals A, or D (if international).

Unless your return flight is international there is noway to know in advance if your flight will arrive at Terminal C or E. There are people to assist you if needed, and there is a tram between all the Terminals, but it will be very difficult for you to make that connection.

Good luck!

http://www.fly2houston.com/home

Than you all for being so kind. We leave Tyler on the little Continental planes - then to Houston to get on Air Canada to Calgary. Return: Calgary on Continental (big plane) to Houston. Houston (little Continental plane) to Tyler. Does that help ??? This deal is thru Hotels.com and hopefully when our tickets arrive next week the correct data will be on them. What do you think???

It is going to be tight, but please tell the flight attendants as soon as you board the flight into Houston. You never know how they may be able to help you. Now your luggage making it would be an even bigger question! Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

SPtrout - So far we really like it!

gg3,

If you are coming back to Houston from Canada on Continental then you will be arriving at Terminal E. As I mentioned, all Continental international arrivals come into Terminal E, which has US Customs facilities.

I assume people arriving from Canada have to go through US Customs? You may want to verify if this is correct; that alone will take more time than you have to make your connecting flight. I'm sorry to continue to have to be the bearer of bad news.

Don't feel bad about telling me the "facts" because that is what I need. I am just irritated that hotels.com sold this plane package to my brother with the knowledge that there was probably no way these two flights can connect. We have flown many times, but never done anything more than Am. Eagle to Dallas and then Dallas onward. America never offered a deal that wasn't feasible. Any suggestions about what we can do ?? How long does customs take at that time of night ??? gg

I really cannot comment on the time it will take to go through Customs at IAH. I have been through Customs many times, but oddly, only once or twice in Houston, and those times were years ago.

The Customs facility at Terminal E is very new (only open a few months) and is supposed to be the best. Maybe someone with recent Houston Customs experience can comment.

Otherwise, I do not have any suggestions. I image that the flight that you are on from Houston back to Tyler is the last one for the night(?), which is why your tickets were booked that way in the first place. I know this is an expensive suggestion, but any chance of you catching an earlier flight back to Houston? Continental will usually let people on earlier flights at no charge if they arrive early and there is space available. You may want to call Continental direct and get their comments/suggestions.

There is an earlier flight back - 2 hours earlier and that would work. Or if we can't do that I reckon we could just rent a car home - it is about a 4 hour trip but oh well. Are the car rentals open around 9-10 pm at the airport ????

sptrout - thanks for the car info and all the help you've given. LHT - I hope, I really hope that is correct - that we clear customs in Calgary. Does that mean that as soon as we got off the plane from Calg. to Houston, we could dash, for our commuter Continental ??? At DFW, they have those little golf carts that will sometimes take you in an emergency. gg

In Toronto & Vancouver you do .

Looks like Calgary also

http://www.calgaryairport.com/document.cfm?DID=36

Are you Canadian? Be sure to fill out the PIF online in advance.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/APIS/apis.html?src=hp_ql

Oh that looks great - it appears to me we go thru customs in Canada and not in Houston. We are Texans from Tyler, so hope this helps us with our flight. I promise not to feed the trolls, whatever that means. :D gg

Oh that looks great - it appears to me we go thru customs in Canada and not in Houston. We are Texans from Tyler, so hope this helps us with our flight. I promise not to feed the trolls, whatever that means. :D gg

Enjoy the trip!

I am surprised you are flying to IAH & not DFW?

We will be flying to Odessa in Sept so hope I have enough time in DFW for our connection!

Enjoy the trip!

I am surprised you are flying to IAH & not DFW?

We will be flying to Odessa in Sept so hope I have enough time in DFW for our connection!

We have always flown from Tyler to DFW and beyond, but my brother from Houston is giving us this special gift and we will fly with he and SIL from there (pkg. deal) plus it was a few hundred dollars cheaper for us all to fly that way instead of via DFW. That is one reason why I am so lost also - never flown out of IAH. Thanks a million for all your kindness. gg

See if you can make your connection and if not, then look into renting a car. You might want to do some checking at rates prior to arriving in Houston though. I'm pretty sure the rental counters at IAH are open 24/7. I have personally returned a car to national at IAH at 9 pm before.

Also, you might want to see if you can switch to the earlier flight. If it is feasible might make it a little less stressful for you.

Best of luck!

I did call Continental and the agent told me that was supposed to be a "do able" connection :rolleyes:, although tight. She said we would indeed do customs in Calgary and that as soon as we got off the plane to race from C to A for our flight. She said, as did you all to make the flight attendants aware of our next flight and they may be able to help us, as well as possibly letting our commuter flight know we were rushing to get there, since it is the last flight home until the next day :mad: . Hopefully, IF, our flight from Calgary is on time, or early :) , we can make it. Too many variables for me, but heh, we will roll with the punches. gg

• 2 weeks later...

Today my brother talked w/supervisor at Continental and asked for her help. She moved us from the back of the plane to the front, then has made arrangements for an electric cart to be waiting for us to help taxi us to our flight home (the last one of the evening) in time. Keep your fingers crossed for us. Thanks for all your help. gg:)

Archived