Tipping in Hotels

Sorry for another post on tipping, but we are staying at a 5 star hotel in Rome pre-cruise.

Do the "bell boy" or whatever they call them traditionally get a tip, do the bus drivers that pick you up at the airport get a tip?

Sorry for another post on tipping, but we are staying at a 5 star hotel in Rome pre-cruise.

Do the "bell boy" or whatever they call them traditionally get a tip, do the bus drivers that pick you up at the airport get a tip?

Really doesn't make a ny difference what *,but if they take your bags to the room and show you where everything is we usually tip at least one or two euro per bag and more if they really take the time to show you things.I also leave at least 2€ a day for the maid.Up to you if you want to tip the bus driver,but if he loads your bags and unloads them from underneath...yes I do tip them at least 2€.This is just me as I am sure some tip more and some not at all,but level of service is always a consideration IMHO.

I don't mind the tipping, I just don't want to be the "odd ball". I hear some service people are offended because their wages are a lot higher in Europe vs. US.

I have never had anyone be offended that I am aware of when getting a tip especially when one smiles and says thank you for your help even if they can't speak English...everyone likes a little extra no matter where or who. I think it is not expected,and in some places rounding up a bill is just fine,and overtipping is not a good thing,but my French waiter buddies have always been appreciative when I have left them something with a smile and a thank you as opposed to just leaving them a tip which they could well turn their nose up at.These are just my thoughts and I am sure a lot of people do it differently,but I don't think you will be an odd ball.Sometimes if I am in a country that I do not know the customs of I do ask at the hotel and they really are more than helpful.

We were wondering if anyone would appreciate Space Shuttle souvenirs as a tip, rather than money. We thought they might be more appreciated.

What's anyones opinion on this?

To be honest with you...no.You could leave a souvenir with the tip,but in place of may not be so good.Just MHO only.

We were wondering if anyone would appreciate Space Shuttle souvenirs as a tip, rather than money. We thought they might be more appreciated.

What's anyones opinion on this?

If you are talking about artifacts that were brought back from space, that would be pretty cool. ;)

However, I suspect that is not what you mean, and I agree with cberge. I know you mean well, but it would probably be considered pretty weird or tacky, IMHO.

Archived