Formal wear for a mid 60s woman

I am in my mid 60s and have only sailed NCL with freestyle so far so have not needed formal dress. And, I haven't attended a party where I needed formal dress in more years than I can remember. However, DH and I will be on Brilliance of the Seas for transatlantic in November so am looking for ideas about how I should dress.

On Jan. 1, 2006 I was a size 16+, am now a 12 almost 10 and should reach a size 8 by August or September if I stay on my weight loss plan. I don't feel like an old lady nor do I want to dress like one. But, neither do I want to dress like a 20 or 30 something.

Advice, please!

I just turned 60 and I still feel young. In some ways I feel younger than I did at 30 when I had so many responsibilities working and raising kids. Congratulations on your weight loss!

For me, Chico's works well. Their Travelers knits never need ironing and I can wear them so many ways. They have a long basic black dress that I wear with different snazzy jackets (bought elsewhere) and I love that look on formal night. I also get a lot of mileage out of their black pants, which I wear with bright tunics or jackets on casual nights and with a matching long black jacket for a more dressy look.

Brilliance is a beauty and the transatlantics tend to be quite formal.

If saving space and weight in the suitcase is a consideration, I would pack one full length skirt in a dressy knit fabric (I am a big fan of silk jersey) and two dressy tops/twin sets, etc. If you are not a skirt person, perhaps flyaway pants or something similar if they appeal to you. Personally, I never feel as dressed up when I am wearing pants. Then I would pack a long dress for the third formal night.

I have a few long, black dresses in silk jersey knits that are my preferred cruise clothes for formal evenings. They pack easily, take up almost no space, travel very well and are easily accessorized. Each of mine are straight and fitted and have one significant detail: a halter top, a grecian drape in the front, etc. They are elegant and work for many occasions.

I tend to buy clothing I will keep for years so will invest in good quality items that I can wear for many years. And for travel, I find that basic black minimizes what I have to pack in terms of undergarments, handbags, shoes, etc.

I am in my mid 60s and have only sailed NCL with freestyle so far so have not needed formal dress. And, I haven't attended a party where I needed formal dress in more years than I can remember. However, DH and I will be on Brilliance of the Seas for transatlantic in November so am looking for ideas about how I should dress.

On Jan. 1, 2006 I was a size 16+, am now a 12 almost 10 and should reach a size 8 by August or September if I stay on my weight loss plan. I don't feel like an old lady nor do I want to dress like one. But, neither do I want to dress like a 20 or 30 something.

Advice, please!

I suggest you start shopping everywhere for the most fabulous dress you've ever purchased! That doesn't mean spend a lot of money. What it does mean is to purchase a dress that makes you feel like one sexy million dollar babe! Have lots of fun shopping! You deserve to treat yourself!

ILoveScotland ~

Congrats on your weight loss! I agree with the suggestion about Chico's ... their clothing is so stylish without the "trendy" look and looks great on all ages, plus you have the bonus of the "packability" (is that a word?!?) and mix-and-match. My suggestion would be to dress FUN! You deserve it!!! :D

Can I ask a nosey question ...??!? How did you lose the weight? I have GOT to get serious about weight loss (I'm currently about a size 16) and just can't find the motivation or a good method. I've been successful in the past at losing 25-30 pounds at a time ... but they always FIND ME! And as is usually the case, those pesky 25-30 pounds bring their friends to join the party ... :( ... and now I'm at the point where I'd really like to lose about 45-50. Makes me so mad at myself.

Anyway, if you don't mind sharing I'd love to know your method.

Have a GREAT time shopping for your trip!!!!! :D :D :D

Brilliance is a beauty and the transatlantics tend to be quite formal.

If saving space and weight in the suitcase is a consideration, I would pack one full length skirt in a dressy knit fabric (I am a big fan of silk jersey) and two dressy tops/twin sets, etc. If you are not a skirt person, perhaps flyaway pants or something similar if they appeal to you. Personally, I never feel as dressed up when I am wearing pants. Then I would pack a long dress for the third formal night.

I have a few long, black dresses in silk jersey knits that are my preferred cruise clothes for formal evenings. They pack easily, take up almost no space, travel very well and are easily accessorized. Each of mine are straight and fitted and have one significant detail: a halter top, a grecian drape in the front, etc. They are elegant and work for many occasions.

I tend to buy clothing I will keep for years so will invest in good quality items that I can wear for many years. And for travel, I find that basic black minimizes what I have to pack in terms of undergarments, handbags, shoes, etc.

I second Caviargal's recommendations, although I am perfectly comfortable in pants on a formal night. The staples of my formal wardrobe are black, but I'm currently in a red phase of my life, so I've invested in some brightly colored items as well.

I started my love affair with Chico's about a year ago when I was searching for a black sparkly top to go with a pair of flyaway pants. I found the top and about $750:eek: worth of other stuff, all of which is GREAT for cruises - lots of mix & match to create the illusion of a larger wardrobe, and all easy care.

Kathy, I have lost the weight through the L.A. Weight Loss program. As of today I've lost 31 lbs. with 19 more to go. That's since the first of the year, so it's slow going.

L.A. is not cheap, but I like it because I get to eat regular food and can eat out and find something that fits the plan; I can go in to the center up to three times a week although I only go once a week since I live about 25 miles away from Asheville where the center is; the weigh-in is private; I meet privately with a consultant and go over what I'm doing well or not doing well; and I get two chocolate bars a day! :D Actually the bars come in various flavors, and I have to eat two a day. I just happen to like the double chocolate flavor, because it's like having two candy bars a day.

Also, once I reach my goal I will still go in once a week to be weighed and have a consultation. And I'll still have to eat the chocolate bars, only then it will be one a day. And, everything is paid for at the beginning except the bars and any other products you decide to buy.

There's a lot more to the program, but those are the basics. It's working for me so I'm happy with it.

And thanks for all the clothing ideas. I'll check out Chicos for sure.

Maybe something like a sheath dress? These are great LBDs (or whatever color you prefer) that can be changed up with accessories. You could also wear a top over it to make it look like a skirt/top combination. They look great on younger and older figures. Many are knee length so I'm not sure how comfortable you are showing you legs. If you go with a sleevless dress, you can use wraps and formal jackets to change the look up and cover your arms.

I think you ought to do a lot of looking around and trying on, remembering that you now can successfully wear styles that perhaps didn’t look right when you were heavier. You’re opening up a whole new fashion world for yourself. Experiment and see what you like, and if you find something wonderful, either buy it or plan on buying something similar once you lose the last couple of pounds. I know that when I lost several sizes I couldn’t stop shopping, buying clothes that I’d never even try on before, let alone wear. And I must admit that I’m still doing it, years and years later. BTW, I’m exactly in my mid 60's.

Congratulations on your weight loss. Now you have the fun part, trying on clothes to see what suits you. I'm 62 and my philosophy is wear what looks best on me regardless of the "age" it might represent. What looks best on me is a little more covered up, but, hey, if you can wear less demure clothing, go for it. You earned it.

Chicos, Talbots and Coldwater Creek all have versatile peices that work very well on cruises because you can mix and match to make outfits do double duty for two or more formal nights or cruises. If you choose a gown that works for one night only unless you can find a way to accessorize it so that it looks different at each wearing.

Have a great time on your cruise. Don't gain back any weight noshing on all that yummy food!:D

Congrads on the weight loss!

I too have been on a weight loss program(my own design!) six months later and and I have lost 35 pounds... I know how much work 30 pounds is, good job!!

I cannot tell you how much fun it is to go shopping and try on formal clothes that you would of walked by before.... Try on a variety, things you would not usually take off the rack to try... You will know what you feel comfortable in and what you feel is age appropirate.

I am 50, and leaving for a cruise in two weeks, with yes, a bikini!

Congratulations on the weight loss! Now you can have fun shopping. I'm 61 and on my last cruise wore a full scale ball gown for the first time in my life--black, fitted waist, full skirt, spaghetti straps and felt great. There are some stunning gowns out there that are classic and yet stylish--just start trying on and enjoy your new figure! Of course, you can never go wrong with the suggestions of many of the posters of long silky skirts or pants, sparkly tops, etc. I don't think we have to look matronly just because we're in our 60's! I just try to stay away from the prom look and find something that fits my body and makes me feel glam.

Archived