BudgetQueen or Anyone--Tundra Wildlife Tour

moondoggie

Our TWT was booked through the cruise ship and was full of RCI passengers. It however is classified a school bus but was much more plush than those that the park shuttle service offers. The bus we were on had the cushy, high back seats (really the same kind of bus we had used the entire week for the land portion of our cruise tour.)

We did see park shuttle buses (green and tan) go by and those were the traditional school buses with the low brown bench seats.

Our TWT was booked through the cruise ship and was full of RCI passengers. It however is classified a school bus but was much more plush than those that the park shuttle service offers. The bus we were on had the cushy, high back seats (really the same kind of bus we had used the entire week for the land portion of our cruise tour.)

We did see park shuttle buses (green and tan) go by and those were the traditional school buses with the low brown bench seats.

Hmmm...maybe cruisetours get a tad more "luxury." But sounds like individuals booking TWT get the same school bus. http://www.reservedenali.com/bus_services.php

Nancy,

It sounds like you have already started making tour and hotel reservations for you trip. I was going to wait until the toursaver book comes out later this year...do you think I should be making resrevations earlier than that. If you make a reservation, can you go back to them and present the coupon saver later?

Thanks,

Larry

My friend (who is a driver for the TWT) told me that Aramark got a bunch of new buses for the TWT that have drop down video screens. I am assuming they may have upgraded the seats to be more comfortable than the old ones, but I haven't managed to get down there yet and get on one of the tours. http://www.ktuu.com/cms/anmviewer.asp?a=3629&z=1

Nancy,

It sounds like you have already started making tour and hotel reservations for you trip. I was going to wait until the toursaver book comes out later this year...do you think I should be making resrevations earlier than that. If you make a reservation, can you go back to them and present the coupon saver later?

Thanks,

Larry

Larry, I like to have a few things nailed down, but won't book any tours until fall at the earliest. I have made just a few reservations so far: Hilton hotel and Hertz rental car in Anchorage, and Marriott hotel in Victoria. Next thing I'll do in a few weeks is reserve frequent-flyer airline tickets to Victoria, BC (I think) and home from Anchorage - although still tinkering a bit with return dates. I'm also waiting for the 2007 Toursaver to come out before deciding which PWS/Kenai Fjords tours (for instance) to book. Hotel and car rental reservations are easy to cancel without penalty. Tours are another story - with deposit requirements and penalties for cancelling - so I will wait until I have my post-cruise itinerary worked out before actually shelling out money!

BQ-

Thanks for your patience... I was on the correct website checking dates. Funny thing is that when I entered the date (mmddyy), I got the "no available shuutles on this date" notice. However, when I used the drop down calendar provided and picked the date, there were all kinds of choices. I have called the lodge directly and the earliest shuttle is at 7am to the park. It is only a 10 min. ride the the entrance to the park. Are we cutting it too close to try to do the 7:30am shuttle, or should we wait until 8am? And, would you recommend taking the shuttle all the way to the final destination (be it FC or WL) and then get off? And then maybe get off again on the way back at whichever stops seem interesting? Thanks again for all your patience... just trying to put together the best trip ever!!

If you can verify this Princess shuttle goes to the Transportation Center at 7am, you will have no problem getting a 7:30am shuttle. IF it is a Vistor Center Shuttle, inquire if they will stop and let you off at the Transportation Center, and then book the 8am shuttle since you may have a short walk in from the main road. I like going out to Wonder Lake and it's always my destination. But Fish Creek offers an excellent day if you think the time will "get to you" :) For me, the time is never an issue, I am never bored and the ride in spectacular.

These are park service buses by Aramark. The tan buses are TWT or NHT buses. It was the luck of the draw you got a new bus. How lucky you were!!! Did you enjoy the tour??

OK..Now I'm a little worry about my plans.... I will be driving to Denali from Anchorage . We are staying at the McKinley Village Lodge for the next two nights before driving to Talkeetna.. We are palanning to take the Shuttle in the morning but we have not made reservations. Question......do I call the day before for reservations???? also I love animals but I don't think I want to have a close encouter with one of them. There is only two of us traveling together and I don't think either one of us is strong enough or fast enough to get away from a bear:eek: ... So is the shuttle OK to just stay on and if you do decide tget off on how long do you have to wait for another shuttle to go by????.....I don't think I can be seating down on a bus for 8 hours... What should I do???.... I do want to enjoy Denali !!!! and last question why do BQ recommends the 6 am shuttle....?

If this is your first visit, I recommend taking the shuttle pretty much as a round trip tour. Getting off the shuttle can run the risk of having the next shuttle full with no seats; this isn't always the case but I've seen it happen. However, being alone in the wilderness as the bus pulls away is quite a feeling too!

One of the beautiful things about Denali is that your encounter with critters is entirely unscripted with viewing left entirely to chance. Bus drivers do communicate with each other when wildlife is sighted but their appearance is totally spontaneous.

Budget Queen is right about the earlier shuttles; animals tend to be out earlier in the day so your odds of seeing something is enhanced by being on one of the earlier busses into the park.

You might still try the online reservations at http://www.reservedenali.com since space is sometimes available, particularly when the park is not filled with cruise ship passengers. If now, call 24-48 hours before since 35% of the seats are held back for last minute.

If you can't get the earlier tours, go anyway since a trip into Denali is one of the great Alaskan experiences.

OK..Now I'm a little worry about my plans.... I will be driving to Denali from Anchorage . We are staying at the McKinley Village Lodge for the next two nights before driving to Talkeetna.. We are palanning to take the Shuttle in the morning but we have not made reservations. Question......do I call the day before for reservations???? also I love animals but I don't think I want to have a close encouter with one of them. There is only two of us traveling together and I don't think either one of us is strong enough or fast enough to get away from a bear:eek: ... So is the shuttle OK to just stay on and if you do decide tget off on how long do you have to wait for another shuttle to go by????.....I don't think I can be seating down on a bus for 8 hours... What should I do???.... I do want to enjoy Denali !!!! and last question why do BQ recommends the 6 am shuttle....?

I see you are going mid July?? There will be likely NO walk up space your preferred day for a shuttle. Extremely busy time. You need reservations in advance. If you choose to wait- then call at 7am 2 days ahead- 800-6227275 for seats. Verify this is still the policy this year. I took the Wonder Lake bus in last year 9-1, no Wonder Lake seats left for that day, I was on the first bus. Fish Creek had some 8-9am slots, and people were going up and down the lines looking for tickets- I felt like I was at a rock concert. :) First time I saw that happen, but it was at least 6 people looking.

Most people do stay on the same bus, including me. You are on and off the bus every 90 minutes. You have at least 20 minutes at Polychrome Pass, sometimes longer. Another 30 at Fish Creek, 45 at Wonder Lake. So it isn't bad at all. When the bus is stopped for wildlife, again you are up and out of your seat. :) So it isn't extended time sitting in my opinion.

Determine what is your interest and go to at least Fish Creek, skip Wonder Lake if too much time for you. I like the first bus out and am always on it. Just my preference for seeing Denali Park awakening I guess. :) Go with the timeframe that suits you best and enjoy Denali Park, it is paradise!!

THANKS ! I JUST MADE RESERVATIONS FOR JULY 23 AT 7:30 AM. I DID NOT THINK I COULD BE UP ANY EARLIER:) ....DO WE NEED TO BUY OUR LUNCH AND SNACKS THE DAY BEFORE OR IS THERE ANY PLACE OPEN THAT EARLY WHERE WE CAN PICK UP FOOD AND WATER TO TAKE???? ALSO, COULD WE FIND A PLACE OPEN FOR BREAKFAST BEFORE 7:30 dO YOU KNOW IF MCKINLEY VILLAGE LODGE HAS A PLACE OPEN AT THAT TIME. WE HAVE A CAR SO THAT WOULD NOT A PROBLEM....AND DO WE PARK OUR CAR CLOSE TO WHERE WE TAKE THE SHUTTLE?????

THANKS ! I JUST MADE RESERVATIONS FOR JULY 23 AT 7:30 AM. I DID NOT THINK I COULD BE UP ANY EARLIER:) ....DO WE NEED TO BUY OUR LUNCH AND SNACKS THE DAY BEFORE OR IS THERE ANY PLACE OPEN THAT EARLY WHERE WE CAN PICK UP FOOD AND WATER TO TAKE???? ALSO, COULD WE FIND A PLACE OPEN FOR BREAKFAST BEFORE 7:30 dO YOU KNOW IF MCKINLEY VILLAGE LODGE HAS A PLACE OPEN AT THAT TIME. WE HAVE A CAR SO THAT WOULD NOT A PROBLEM....AND DO WE PARK OUR CAR CLOSE TO WHERE WE TAKE THE SHUTTLE?????

Yes, I would have your snacks in advance. If you are coming from Anchorage, your LAST full service grocery is Wasilla. Pick up your drinks, snacks etc for the biggest selection and cheapest prices. Subway is open 24/7 right outside Denali Park. There are early breakfast options. But for me, picking up a 4 pack of muffins from Safeway works great.

Yes, plenty of parking at the Transportation center. Lines are in the back of the buildling.

Thanks !!! BQ... yes muffins are just fine for me...but I will need some coffee to wake me up....( I'm not an early riser:o ).. Can you tell me how long is the drive from Anchorage to Denali. After we spend two nights in Denali we are going to Talkeetna and spending one night there so we dont have to stop there on our way up. We have reserations for cabin night the same night we arrive in Denali (late show) so I'm wondering if we have time to make any other interesting stops on the way there or go non-stop??? what other places are there to stop...??... Also Talkeetna Aero told us to call them on the way up and if they had room and the weather was OK we could make a stop and take our summit fly that day ( in case that two days later when we have reservations, the weather is not OK).. but if we do that I'm not sure we are going to have enouhg time to get to Denali before our reservation for Cabin night at 8:30 and also.. what would we do the day that we are in Talkeetena. We had only plan a summit fly....and maybe water rafting??..... And (sorry)... how long is the drive from Anchorage to Talkeetna????... I have been planning this trip for a year and reading this board... and I can't belive I still have questions:confused: I think I'm just getting a little anxious as our departure day gets closer. Thanks!!!.. no more ?????

Thanks !!! BQ... yes muffins are just fine for me...but I will need some coffee to wake me up....( I'm not an early riser:o ).. Can you tell me how long is the drive from Anchorage to Denali. After we spend two nights in Denali we are going to Talkeetna and spending one night there so we dont have to stop there on our way up. We have reserations for cabin night the same night we arrive in Denali (late show) so I'm wondering if we have time to make any other interesting stops on the way there or go non-stop??? what other places are there to stop...??... Also Talkeetna Aero told us to call them on the way up and if they had room and the weather was OK we could make a stop and take our summit fly that day ( in case that two days later when we have reservations, the weather is not OK).. but if we do that I'm not sure we are going to have enouhg time to get to Denali before our reservation for Cabin night at 8:30 and also.. what would we do the day that we are in Talkeetena. We had only plan a summit fly....and maybe water rafting??..... And (sorry)... how long is the drive from Anchorage to Talkeetna????... I have been planning this trip for a year and reading this board... and I can't belive I still have questions:confused: I think I'm just getting a little anxious as our departure day gets closer. Thanks!!!.. no more ?????

Allow 6 hours Anchorage/Denali with brief stops. Talkeetna/Denali 3 1/2 hours.

Plenty of stops to consider, Eklutna Spirt house tour, Wasilla Sled Dog Museum- an hour at the most- cheapest dog cart rides with Reddington dogs. Necessary is a copy of THE MILEPOST, listings there.

You have plenty of time to make the Cabin Night theater.

There are several places to get coffee and sandwiches or snacks for the shuttle tours. We got ours from Subway the night before and they even put out wet stuff in ziplock which we assembled the next day for better sandwiches. They are open in the morning early. Many of the hotels will also pack you a box lunch. We took a small cooler on the bus to keep our stuff cold, no problem. Watching for grizzlies all day is very hard work and having lunch at Wonder Lake or Fishcreek is pretty neat.

Archived