Using My Laptop on the Explorer

I can't speak for Explorer, but we were on Mariner last week, and didn't use our laptop at all in our stateroom. My husband bolted to the guest relations desk when we boarded, only to find out that the internet service available (for $100 for the week) in cabin is dial up. There are several wi-fi areas on the ship, and several packages you can choose from, and that's what we did, however it was still a bit slow. I did see others occassionally using their laptops in some of the wi-fi areas.

Our room wasn't far from the computer lounge (Royal Caribbean Online), and we could actually get a very weak wi-fi signal there.

I hope it works out for you, the info you got was consistent with what I saw on Voyager. I'm sure you have the need or desire, but I will just add that as a IT professional, it was wonderful having 7 days with no internet for the first time in 18 years and no cell phone for the first time in 9.

We were on the Explorer 6/2 sailing. My husband has his laptop with him and signed up for the wi-fi option. When you go to guest relations, they will give you a map of the ship's hot spots -- none of which are cabins. That being said, the guest relations guy told my husband that based on the proximity of your cabin to a hot spot you may or may not get a signal. I can tell you that with the exception of Dizzy's Jazz Lounge (the 14th deck "viking crown lounge" overlooking the pool decks), all of the hotspots are midship or forward. We were in an aft cabin on Deck 9 and had no in-cabin signal. All of the brochure-identified hot spots my husband tried out seemed to work except the Solarium...he tried 2 days and never could get a signal in there.

My father-in-law, after having a bad experience with the Wi-Fi on Radiance last year, decided to go with the unlimited minute, dial-up, in-cabin set-up. He was pleased with the speed of the connection compared to previous cruises. I should note, however, that he was only replicating emails, logging off, then emailing responses. So he would log-on to replicate, then go do something around the ship...he wasn't sitting there waiting or web surfing.

I hope it works out for you, the info you got was consistent with what I saw on Voyager. I'm sure you have the need or desire, but I will just add that as a IT professional, it was wonderful having 7 days with no internet for the first time in 18 years and no cell phone for the first time in 9.

Exactly! I was actually happy it wasn't convenient for me to check my email or use my cell phone. Best vacation we've had in years! My husband's also in IT, and I knew if he could get a good connection, he'd be checking servers on our vacation. Turned out to be a very relaxing vacation and we can't wait to do it again.

• 4 weeks later...
We were on the Explorer 6/2 sailing. My husband has his laptop with him and signed up for the wi-fi option.

What does the Wi-fi option cost compared to the $100 modem? If you have to pay by the minute like you do at their Internet Cafe, I can probably live with the slower speed.

Archived