around the world cruises

happy cruzer

Hi, This is a very personal dream of mine to do the around the world cruise or a cruise of at least 30+ days. I would love to hear from others that have had this experience. I will have alot of details to work out. Mainly time. I've got a good start on the money part. But I own a business and am responsible for two dependent parents. So I am probably still looking in far in the future. Some of the things I would love to hear about are:

Does is really feel like a voyage? Do you feel like you've seen "the world"? How about interaction with passengers and cruise employees, do you develop any close ties? Can you point me to a cruise review, blog, or journal?

Money - How did you pay, in advance, by payments, did you get a big discount for so many days?

What age and health considerations would you consider important?

And as usual any extra comments on items that I don't even know to ask about are welcome!!

I'm still a dreamer.

Happy Cruzin!!!

One good place to start would be with Grumpy. If you look on the main page for HAL, you'll see a thread titled Slinkie and Grumpy do London Town. That thread will give you an idea of Grumpys style of writing. Then do a search, via his name for the World cruise he and Slinkie did last year. It is a most enjoyable piece and a good learning tool.

happy cruzer,

I, too, am a dreamer. In the distant future (30 or so years from now) I plan to retire and take the world cruise as a celebration of retirement. Planning to get ready for it will probably take up the last decade of my active ministry ... along with saving for it (unless I get appointed to a really big church that gives me a nice, BIG retirement present ;) ). Still, that day will come and I WILL take the 100+ day world cruise. Until then, I plan on seeing as much of the world's oceans and coastlands in 10 - 30 day segments as I can!!!! :D

I've never done the World Cruise, but have four cruises of 33-35 days under my belt. I'll tell you what I've found.

Yes, it feels so very much more like a "voyage" than a "cruise". There's a slower, more relaxed pace. The feeling of "gogogo, dododo" isn't there as you know there's always tomorrow to enjoy whatever you have put off today.

You get to know your fellow travellers (sometimes a bit more than you may care to :rolleyes: ) and the cruise staff. You can develop long-term friendships because you get well below the surface-relationship level.

The cruise will offer many and various opportunities for enrichment with several different lecture series.

Money matters can get a bit cumbersome. I've never gotten much of a discount on my longer cruises; also bills at home continued. Since I wasn't gone as long as the world cruise I was able to pay my anticipated bills in advance; some people pay on-line, or authorize a family member or agent to take care of those matters.

Extra tipping needs to be thought of, too. It's customary on longer cruises to give any extra tips as the cruise goes along; at the end of particular segments, or when a steward is ending his contract are usual times.

The costs of shore excurions needs to be figured into the budgeting, too! :eek: It can add up fast.

Clothing is another consideration. Depending on the itinerary and time of year you may need to pack for several different climates. Then where are you going to store all that stuff! :eek:

Getting a supply of medications to last long enough can be a problem.

I've gone on long enough to get you started. If what's been posted generates more questions just shoot 'em out. We're full of answers around here. :D

In the distant future (30 or so years from now) I plan to retire and take the world cruise as a celebration of retirement. :D

Huh?

I gotta wait 30 years to go on a World Cruise with you?

:(

I'm ready to go NOW!

(Well, maybe in 10 years...)

;)

We did HAL's world cruise in 2005. It was on the Prinsedam, HAL's smallest ship. It was indeed a voyage. You have plenty of time to relax and enjoy just being on the ship. We met a lot of people that we stay in touch with and a few that have become close friends. We still e-mail several of the crew. Just yesterday I got photos of one of our bar waiter's new family. There is definitely a sense of community on the world cruise that I've never encountered on shorter cruises.

We are going on the 2007 world cruise and have been in touch with others who are going that were on the 2005. It is a wonderful experience.

There is an interesting quip in today's CC headlines about preparing for an around the world trip. My jaw dropped when I read of the woman who bought along 57 gowns, one for each of the formal nights. Can you imagine. I wonder if she dropped them off at a resale shop after her cruise cause she sure does not want to risk being seen in the same thing twice. I wonder if she and I are the same size. Hmmmm.

hammybee, there are many stories out there of people who have booked two cabins for the World Cruise---one for them, and one for their wardrobe!

Then there's the story (true) of the woman who purchased so much she couldn't get it all home. She donated a particularly beautiful vase to the Rotterdam (the ss Rotterdam, that is). I've often wondered what became of it. :confused:

There is an interesting quip in today's CC headlines about preparing for an around the world trip. My jaw dropped when I read of the woman who bought along 57 gowns, one for each of the formal nights. Can you imagine. I wonder if she dropped them off at a resale shop after her cruise cause she sure does not want to risk being seen in the same thing twice. I wonder if she and I are the same size. Hmmmm.

I'm glad someone else saw the humor in that too. :) I almost choked when I read it.

I guess if you use luggage shipping, though, bringing along so much clothing isn't such a big deal, but I wonder what the cost would be to ship 9 pieces of luggage to the ship. It's gotta be high.

I'd love to do a world cruise some day as well. I've done one 30-day cruise so far, and I loved it. It's just as Ruth said ... a voyage ... not a cruise. You have a lot of time to get to know your fellow passengers and develop some really nice relationships with some of the staff.

Like RevNeal ... I have quite a ways to go before I could even consider a world cruise ... probably in my case at least 20 years ... but it's something I definitely want to do if the Lord makes a way.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Is homesickness ever a challenge? I think I would miss my daily lifestyle after two weeks or so...I would also LOVE to take a world wide cruise, but how does that affect the relationships that have been left behind?:confused:

Money matters can get a bit cumbersome. I've never gotten much of a discount on my longer cruises; also bills at home continued. Since I wasn't gone as long as the world cruise I was able to pay my anticipated bills in advance; some people pay on-line, or authorize a family member or agent to take care of those matters.

The costs of shore excurions needs to be figured into the budgeting, too! :eek: It can add up fast.

Clothing is another consideration. Depending on the itinerary and time of year you may need to pack for several different climates. Then where are you going to store all that stuff! :eek:

As for money matters such as paying your monthly bills, I have all my bills such as electric, water, phone, etc on automatic debit. They are taken out of my account automatically. Shore excursion can add up, on my last cruise which was 62 days I spent over $6000 for shore excursions. Clothing I wont attempt to talk about. One thing I can relate is about a women who use to go on all world cruise's. She had been on over 20, and had enough clothes so that she had a different outfit for everyday:D She had 2 cabins, one for her and one for her wardrobe. I believe her name was Kissing Kate. She passed away on the Rotterdam a few years ago.

AP, homesickness is never a problem for me; I could keep right on sailing. If it weren't for the cat, that is. I feel guilty leaving her home for more than five weeks, or so. That's the primary reason I didn't book the 66-day round-trip from Ft. Lauderdale around South America early next year.

Hi, Last night I spent 3 hours reading about Grumpy and Slinkie's world cruise; I only got to Australia with them so far. Great read.

I love the point someone made about Soc Secuity helping. I met a couple who said that they saved enought to retire on and that they spent their Soc. Security money traveling. Now that's an idea if it is still there in a 20 years. I'm in my 40's and DH is in his 50's can't decide how long we want to wait for the WC.

And thanks for the reminders about the excursions, I've done so many cruises that have had overlapping itenararies, I have only done about one excursion a week that I forgot on the WC there might be many weeks with 5 excursions or so. Good point!

Question: Is the WC more up scale in service and food? Reading G&S they seem to getting some really good food.

I'm on Voyager of the Seas transatlantic in Nov. and new ports to me will be Barcelona and Madiera. That should help me make it a little longer. It was pretty inexpensive too so that will help pay for my WC.

Happy Dreamin and Cruzin!

One thing I can relate is about a women who use to go on all world cruise's. She had been on over 20, and had enough clothes so that she had a different outfit for everyday:D She had 2 cabins, one for her and one for her wardrobe. I believe her name was Kissing Kate. She passed away on the Rotterdam a few years ago.

Sounds like Kissing Annie. :D

I've done 28 days in the past, and I'm going to be aboard the Statendam for 31 days for the China and Transpacific crossing in April/May 2007. Since the parsonage utilities are paid by the church, directly, I don't have to worry about electricity, gas, water, phone, or cable bills. Most of my personal bills, like car payment, auto insurance, etc., all deduct from my checking account automatically ... so that's not an issue either. There are a few things that I still pay by check ... like my housekeeper. And, while I'm not going to be there I AM going to want someone to clean at least once while I'm gone (rather than coming every week). So, I'll make arrangements for her to skip three weeks and then come the week BEFORE I return home. I'll leave a check, already made out, for her with my secretary for that purpose and my secretary can pay her. As for everything else ... I'll leave 2 or 3 checks with my secretary, already signed but everything else blank, and she'll keep them in the church safe for me. If any bills come in that I haven't anticipated, she can pay them with those. As for pay checks, she deposit those to my bank account for me while I'm gone.

The longest I can reasonably be away is 1 month to about 5 weeks. If I want to go away for longer I'll have to make very special arrangements ... not impossible for periods of time upwards of 60 days. However, the World Cruise presents several issue for me. Firstly, it's over 100 days. Secondly, it takes place during Lent and Easter ... I cannot miss Lent and Easter. Not while I'm still serving as pastor. Hence, the ONLY way I can conceivably do the world cruise relative to issues of timing will be in retirement. :)

Question: Is the WC more up scale in service and food? Reading G&S they seem to getting some really good food.

Happy Dreamin and Cruzin!

We just got off the Rotterdam 12 day Baltic Cruise. In my opinion, the food was every bit as good as it was on the world cruise... and, as you noted, we had no complaints about food on the world cruise.

We'll be home in a couple of days and I'll answer more questions then.

Hi, This is a very personal dream of mine to do the around the world cruise or a cruise of at least 30+ days. I would love to hear from others that have had this experience...

Does is really feel like a voyage? Do you feel like you've seen "the world"? How about interaction with passengers and cruise employees, do you develop any close ties? Can you point me to a cruise review, blog, or journal?

Money - How did you pay, in advance, by payments, did you get a big discount for so many days?

What age and health considerations would you consider important?

And as usual any extra comments on items that I don't even know to ask about are welcome!!

I'm still a dreamer.

Happy Cruzin!!!

Hiya Happy -

Nancy & I just returned from a 35 day cruise on Oceania's Nautica from Hong Kong to Athens (plus a 7 day bus tour of Sicily). The cruise tickets were about $7,500 each including visas, taxes etc. Airfare was part of the package except for the extra $50.00 we paid for a deviation so that we could come home from Rome 10 days later rather than Athens.

If you want a copy of the travelogue, let me know where to email it.

I can't begin to describe how wonderful the trip was. We would just look at each other daily and say, "I can't believe we are doing this." It had a real "around the world" feel to it as we sailed from China to SE Asia to India to the Middle East to Egypt and then on to ancient Greece via the ruins in Sicliy. I would do it again in a moment.

The hardest part of the trip was the hot and humid weather. Oceania was repositioning the Nautica from the winter Asia cruises to the Mediterranean summer, and this year, summer arrived early. The second hardest part was that much of the good stuff in these countires lies 2 hours or more from the port. Long bus rides can't be helped, but you do need the sea days to slow down again.

We (about 25 passengers) started talking to each other on Yahoo and Cruise Critics about 9 months before we left, and we a reception the first sea day and periodic lunches thereafter. It was really nice to have a starting relationship before getting on board.

On the other hand, I can't even begin to count the number of times we found ourselves talking to someone we had just met, and we'd pull up a chair in one of the lounges and just talk for a couple of hours. The ship was small enough, 684 pax, that we would see the same people over and over again. From my perspective, the longer trips were packed with travelers rather than tourists. My kind of people.

I never have really close (personal) interactions with the crew, but do have a real appreciation of the difficult job that they do, especially on voyages with many sea days. Especially on a long ship, many of the crew wear multiple hats. The CD and her two assistants not only were some of the performers, they also taught line dancing, quilting etc.

From my perspective, folks who take a short cruise take with them an attitude that they are on vacation. You don't have to go to the gym: you're on vacation etc. On the longer cruises, you have to take your life with you. If you are a gym person, you go to the gym while on baord, because that is part of your life.

As far as money is concerned, we spent 2 and a half months before we left home setting up bills for automatic payment via the internet. That was barely enough time to set it all up and to make sure it worked. I’d recommend 4 months if you set out to do the same thing. We had to shift some bank accounts and credit cards and open new ones until we found the right mix that would work with each other.

Both Schwab and Fidelity really worked with us to set up bill paying, however other creditors didn’t like being paid from Fidelity. We got it to work, but just barely in time. We coordinated it all with Quicken and its internet capabilities. That was a learning experience in itself, but it gave us a single place to watch and make sure that things were happening properly before we left home. Basically, if a credit card or a bank will work well with Quicken, then they will work well with each other to pay or be paid. We didn’t use Quicken’s bill pay feature, since we preferred the option of having the various creditors go get paid.

In other words, there are two possibilities for paying bills on-line. The first is that the bank pays out the money to a creditor, and the second is that the creditor is authorized to go and get money from the bank. The first way requires you to approve the payment and to designate the amount that is paid. That was too much work for us to monitor over a slow internet. We thought that the second method worked better, and we set up our utility bills, credit cards etc. to go get money from one of our various bank accounts. All we had to do was make sure that there was enough money in the account to meet the demands for payment. As I said, it worked, but it took a lot of time to get working before we left.

Hope this helps some.

Rick

Is homesickness ever a challenge? I think I would miss my daily lifestyle after two weeks or so...I would also LOVE to take a world wide cruise, but how does that affect the relationships that have been left behind?:confused:
That is a question whose answer will vary with each individual. Some people are tied too closely to their home and activites to be able to turn loose for an extended period of time. I had traveled extensively on business, often being away from home for 6 weeks or so at a time, so homesickness was not a problem on the world cruise. We talked to a few people that were anxious to get home, others that weren't. As far as missing the daily lifestyle... yeah, we sure do. Breakfast in the Lido, come back to a cabin that has been cleaned and the bed made, etc... now, THAT is a lifestyle, and we really miss it...

Hi, thanks for the details about bill paying. DH will not go for the deduct from our account method. He thinks someone may empty the account out someday. But I think if we start early like you guys did we'll figure something out. I'm leaning toward getting what we can paid by cc of course we will still have to check the balance and mail a check to the cc company. Some of the smaller bills you can just send them in a check that they will hold as a credit, like the water bill. But point well taken try it out months ahead.

Rick, your pictures are great! I would love to read your travelog. Do you think you could post it to the reviews section of CC. Currently there is only one review of the Nautica. Yours would be a welcome additon and lots of people could see it. Most reviews have alot about the ports so travelog format should be ok. Otherwise I'm not sure how to get my email address to you ONLY if you know what I mean.

Once again thanks!!!!

One thing I can relate is about a women who use to go on all world cruise's. She had been on over 20, and had enough clothes so that she had a different outfit for everyday:D She had 2 cabins, one for her and one for her wardrobe. I believe her name was Kissing Kate. She passed away on the Rotterdam a few years ago.

Bruce,

It was 'Kissing Annie'... but she only used one cabin. I sailed with her on the 1995 World Cruise s.s. ROTTERDAM.

Her favourite question was, "Do you dance?" I got 'caught' once and did such a bad job at it that she never asked again!!!!

Stephen

hammybee, there are many stories out there of people who have booked two cabins for the World Cruise---one for them, and one for their wardrobe!

:confused:

Ruth, I did the 1995 Work Cruise on the s.s. ROTETRDAM. I didn't book to cabins but ended up with two.

The world cruise was supposed to be something like 98 days... Lauderdale to Lauderdale. I figured that this wouldn't be enough so I booked the 20 day Christmas cruise to start with. I still have one of the baggage labels that has joining date in December... leaving date... in April! Anyhow, this stretched the cruise to 118 days. When I finally left the ship in lauderdale I spent a night ashore then joined QE2 the next day to sail back to Bermuda. It was easier to sail home with the excess baggage!

I joined ROTTERDAM with four pieces of baggage... went home with nine! That included a pair of copper red and green navigation lights... with old oil lamps... from Muscat... and a large carved wooden nameboard from the top of one of the tenders,made from old teak from ROTTERDAM's decks.

During the Christmas cruise I received a fax from Carnival Corporate Shipbuilding. They wanted me to make six paintings for their new ship, the IMAGINATION. I sent a fax back saying that as much as I would like to do the work, I couldn't because I was going to be on the ROTTERDAM for the next three months. Next morning there was another fax saying they would allow me extra time but I had to complete at least one of the paintings before the end of April. When ROTTERDAM arrived in NY to make the official start of the world cruise I went ashore to visit Pearl Paint. I came back armed with two yards of belgian linen canvas, stretchers... 36" x 60"... canvas pliers, tacks, an easel, paints, brushers, turpentine, pencils, paper etc etc. The full inventory!

Back on board I asked the Captain Bos... then Chief Officer if he had a spare cabin anywhere were I could set up a studio. The ship was not full so there wouldn't be a problem. Peter said he would get back to me in a few days. Well, between Lauderdale and Panama Canal we had a passenger fall and fracture his hip so he and wife both left the ship. I got their cabin!!!! :) My own 'residence' was a sinly on Boat deck forward... No. 057. My 'studio' was four doors down.. No 065.. a 'B' category suite!!!! The Housekeeper moved the beds together and covered the carpet with an old curtain so I couldn't make a mess. I set up my small CD player with small speakers etc... amd made myself very comfortable. I painted on sea days only... from 9 am until noon. Breakfast in the Lido... make a large mug off coffe and head off to work. It kept me out of trouble (bar). I finished the painting by the time we got to the Mediterranean and it was shipped to the shipyard from Civitavecchia.

Working on the painting was the best thing. It gave me something to do... too keep busy. I would strongly suggest anyone undertaaking a work cruise to take along some kind of project. Ask Grumpy ang Slinkie... their project was writing day by day voyage reports!

The cruise itself was fantastic. The only bad day was the day at sea heading down from New York to Lauderdale... having to spend the afternoon packing. The old ROTTERDAM was a very special and elegant ship and a world cruise in her was something special. I don't think the newer ships can compete. The people were special.... passengers and crew alike. It was 118 days of continuous 'house party'.

Shore excursions... I booked only one... the trip to the lost City of Petra. I ended up cancelling it before we arrived and went up on a private tour instead... $60 compared to $250. In the other ports I did privately arranged excursions. I probably didn't see as much as I could have done but I've been sailing the world's seas for 35 years... professionally as well as a passenger so a lot of it I've seen before.

The dining room.... on one segemnt.... Hong Kong to Singapore... two weeks.. I went to the dining room twice. I wa known as the Phantom Diner. I would do anything to avoid the dining room. Dinner in the Chef's office... saussages and potatoes in the Chief Officer's cabin... while spending an evening watching videos and playing backgammon.

I would suggest to anyone contemplating a world cruise... do it sooner rather than later.... you might want to go again! ;)

My 118 days in the the ROTTERDAM in '95 didn't discourage me from going back again.... in August that year I wemnt back to the ship for a 35 day South Pacific cruise... same ship... same people. The old ROTTERDAM was like that.

Stephen

Thanks For The Memory---as I read this, that song was playing on the radio. Such perfect timing, as this was a delightful memory to read.

Are you sure about that date for the 35-day South Pacific cruise? I took a 35-day South Pacific cruise on the Rotterdam in 10/95. It docked the Tuesday of (United States) Thanksgiving week. We were delayed getting into the harbor for several hours due to fog. Flights missed all over the place! In one of the busiest flying weeks of the year!

Bet the folks in Seattle were scrambling that morning!

I've done 28 days in the past, and I'm going to be aboard the Statendam for 31 days for the China and Transpacific crossing in April/May 2007. Since the parsonage utilities are paid by the church, directly, I don't have to worry about electricity, gas, water, phone, or cable bills. Most of my personal bills, like car payment, auto insurance, etc., all deduct from my checking account automatically ... so that's not an issue either. There are a few things that I still pay by check ... like my housekeeper. And, while I'm not going to be there I AM going to want someone to clean at least once while I'm gone (rather than coming every week). So, I'll make arrangements for her to skip three weeks and then come the week BEFORE I return home. I'll leave a check, already made out, for her with my secretary for that purpose and my secretary can pay her. As for everything else ... I'll leave 2 or 3 checks with my secretary, already signed but everything else blank, and she'll keep them in the church safe for me. If any bills come in that I haven't anticipated, she can pay them with those. As for pay checks, she deposit those to my bank account for me while I'm gone.

The longest I can reasonably be away is 1 month to about 5 weeks. If I want to go away for longer I'll have to make very special arrangements ... not impossible for periods of time upwards of 60 days. However, the World Cruise presents several issue for me. Firstly, it's over 100 days. Secondly, it takes place during Lent and Easter ... I cannot miss Lent and Easter. Not while I'm still serving as pastor. Hence, the ONLY way I can conceivably do the world cruise relative to issues of timing will be in retirement. :)

I read that HAL offers Sunday services on board. Would you ever consider being a HAL pastor?

Archived