Solo Travel on River Cruises

Venturagirl

Most of the reports I have read on this board have been from people traveling as pairs. I know pairs are more practical because single supplements are very expensive, but I'm wondering -- have any of you met people traveling solo on your river cruises? Or have you traveled as a single? If so, how did the single person enjoy the river cruise experience?:confused:

Hi,

I always cruise as a single. I just got off the Seabourn Spirit and it is always wonderful to be a single on there. I have a 15 year old who I take on mass market cruises but he will be in camp this summer and as a 15 year old has no use for his parents. My husband owns his own business so he rarely takes time off.

I am cruising on the River Royale departing July 20 from Lyon. I will again be on as a single. I have no problem meeting and socializing with people. By the same token if I find that I have nothing in common or cannot talk to anyone I am perfectly happy dining in the dining room by myself.

I say go for it.

Bon voyage

• 2 weeks later...

Don't worry about ever spending time alone on the River Royale--unless you want to. We had singles on it last week. Think they were only alone in their cabins. More after I'm back on EDT. Pat

I have traveled as a single on 7 river cruises. I have enjoyed every single trip. It is very easy to get to know the other passangers because ther are usually only 120-140 of them. I normally get to know about 30 pretty good via meals and excusions.

I have also been on over 15 large cruise ship trips. I enjoyed all of these but it is harder for me to get to know other passangers on the large ships.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with those of you who responded. Now that I have returned from my river cruise, I can see that a single would easily find company on one of these small ships. On our ship there were a few singles in their own cabins, but they were traveling with others, like parents or extended family or a group of friends and so they were never alone. There was no one like Rogerdawhip who was a true solo travelor. I went on two excursions without my husband during our trip and enjoyed the companionship of the group, especially since we had become friends already over meals. So, I agree. I wouldn't hesitate to travel as a single on a river cruise trip. That is good news for me, as my husband cannot get away to travel as often as I can. Of course, at the moment further travel is a pipe dream since I am tapped out financially from my last trip!:(

• 2 weeks later...

I completely agree that a single (man or woman) would have no trouble "fitting in" on a river cruise. And good news--the single supplement on many river cruises is only 50%, compared to ocean cruises that often charge 100%. And some--like Peter Deilmann--actually have a couple of smaller cabins for singles, with special pricing.

I've taken several river cruises and I recommend them--for singles, couples or group!

I always travel with a friend, since I've been single for 8 years now. But have a friend that has gone on several trips and signed up for an unknown roommate. Sometimes she gets one and other times not. The ones that she's gotten have turned out to be very nice.

Archived