Newbie on board

KidNurse

I have been reading this site for a couple weeks now and just decided to hop aboard. First cruise July 9 from Seward to Vancouver on ms.ryndam with my 13 yr. old daughter (who hopefully will enjoy Club Hal). I am sooo very excited and have gotten wonderful advise and tips from all of you and just wanted to thank you. I am still unsure of the packing but have a much better handle of it now. We have a bit of a different schedule but HAL has been more than accommodating. My husband, father-in-law, and daughter just left this Saturday (Yukon, pop-up camper) to drive to Alaska. Also along are dad's 3 dogs otherwise fondly referred to as Bear Bait 1, Bear Bait 2 and Bear Bait 3!! I'm flying out on the 1st and will spend 7-1 to 7-9 with them touring beautiful Alaska. Trust me though, My daughter and I will be skippping onto the ms. ryndam on the 9th!! And yes, I will try to bring wine on board(obviously for me)!!!! The boys then will drive home. HAL booked my flights even though I wasn't getting right on board (it was actually cheaper thru my AAA) and they booked daughter's return flight even though she didn't fly out. Complicated but they did it and all documents are in hand! Good experience so far. Daughter is very excited about formal nights as am I. We don't get to do that often. We will follow dress code! I am packing the jeans though!! As a newbie, I plan on booking shore excurions thru HAL (too afraid of missing the boat so to speak). Mendenhall Glacier/whale watching and salmon bake in Juneau and Snorkling in Ketchikan (daughter can't wait!)...burrrrr. Enough for now...I'm new to boards in general so...??what is IMO and pax?? I really have enjoyed reading all these wonderful insights!

Welcome to the boards from another relative newbie! We have serveral Holland America cruises under our belt but just recently joined these boards. They certainly are a wealth of information. IMO means in my opinion (IMHO means in my humble opinion) and pax is an abbreviation for passengers

Have a great time in Alaska!

As you've discovered, planning your first cruise is half the fun...

OK, Dictionary time...

Pax = Passengers

IMO = In My Opinion (also IMHO = In My Humble Opinion)

yes. They'll charge your credit card when you book them and the vouchers for them will be in your stateroom when you board. Make sure you print out the confirmation because sometimes things aren't communicated very well between Seattle and the ship.

Welcome aboard Cruise Critic and HAL! You can still book shore excursions for a few days more. Unless things have changed, I believe the cut-off for on-line booking is 10 days prior to the cruise. I know someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Enjoy your Alaska travels and your cruise!

Welcome, KidNurse. You and your DD will have a great time cruising Alaska. So much beauty. It's good your TA got your docs ASAP. Some pax are not getting theirs until just days before sailing. I'll bet your DH, DD, and FIL are having a great time in the Yukon. Sounds like fun.

Hi KidNurse!

Welcome to the HAL Boards! I hope you enjoy your cruise to the fullest! And your daughter will really have a blast in Club HAL (and you will like the time to yourself while she has fun with the Club HAL group!) I strongly advise you to book your shore excursions before you go. Alaska excursions fill quickly, and with 60% of those on board being HAL repeaters, lots of people book ahead. You have (as "the2ofus" said) until 10 days before sailing to book. Your tickets will be on your desk in your cabin. If times that you most want are wait-listed, they will not charge you until you have positive space. Just another tip, and just my opinion :) but shore excursions that try to do several things (i.e. in Juneau: Mendenhall Glacier, whale-watching, salmon bake) can end up being a little rushed, and you don't get to spend as much time as you'd like at each venue. Check the main Message Board page for the "Ports of Call" section, and glance over the Alaska thread. It's helpful. And we're always here for questions, too. Good luck, and enjoy getting ready!

You and your daughter are going to have a great time. Be sure to pack some shorts and tees too. I was in Alaska 2 summers ago and it was in the 90's, much to everyone's surprise.

By the way, I love the dog's names.

Yes, the dog's names - adorable!!! We too, are doggy lovers! (All muts for us!)

We just returned from the May 21 Alaska on the W'dam. You are in for such a treat. We traveled with both my parents, my husband and my 10,12 & 13 year olds. My 13 yr. old (son) absolutely loved the "Loft"! They are a teen club and totally love that parents or adults are not welcome!

Andrew would head to the Loft anytime he was remotely bored with what we were doing. They have Playstation 2's on flatscreen tv's, a jukebox (no charge) with videos playing on two other flatscreen tv's. They also had cool actvities anytime we were at sea or in the evenings. On the last night they had a good bye party - they all signed each others "The Loft" t-shirts. We found out the teens really bonded while onboard and would seek each other out in public areas. They still e-mail each other daily.:)

Have a wonderful time with your daughter. What a wonderful way to spend a week together. :)

I have also been 'lurking' on the HAL board for several months now, and am enjoying all I read. Reading the day's posts has become somewhat of an addiction for me. We have cruised with HAL a number of times, beginning way back in 1959 as immigrants from Holland. We will be doing the Easter Mediterranean on July 30. I would love to have some idea of what to pack, keeping in mind the weight restrictions that are now in effect.

Welcome!

Here's a packing tip for Alaska...Alaska tends to be a damp enviroment. Besides taking up a lot of space in your suitcase, jeans stay wet and don't dry quickly.

I bought a few pairs of water repellent (different from waterproof) pants made of spun polyester. They were lifesavers! I didn't get soggy wet, and when I got back to my cabin, I just shook them out in the bathroom an hung them up. Poof! In just an hour or so they were dry.

Roz

Thanks to all who have welcomed me and for your help and suggestion! IMHO this is a lot of fun!!! I went over to the Roll Call for my cruise and also checked out the Alaska board. I'm still going to book my excursions with HAL only because this is my first time and I really don't know what I'm doing!!! Roz, I actually did pack a couple of those moisture resistant pants with my camping stuff that is with the crew driving out(at last word they were shooting to make it to Dawson Creek, B.C. today and Bear Bait 1,2 and 3 were still doing fine!) Will make sure they are transferred to the cruise bag! Thanks to 5 in OK for your wonderful words about Club Hal...according to something I read today on the roll call board there are 30 kids so far booked for my cruise. My daughter will love that news (and I will enjoy some quiet time to myself). ??No reports of any safety issues re: Club Hal and the kids, right?? I am taking walkie talkies to attempt to stay in contact with her but she will not want Mom bugging her too much---she is my only!!

We are in cabin 619 on the main deck. Wanted a balcony but I apparently waited too long to book. I went to my TA in Febuary! You guys book these things really early don't you!!!:) We will be fine and since it's mid-ship it should help stabilize any motion (I hope) We both are accustom to boats but this is different so hard to tell. We are "waitlisted for early seating (thought it would be better for my daughter) but the more I read, the more I think later might be more fun. I'll take what I get!!!

Thanks again for all your words of experience...as excited as I am, I am also a little scared.:confused:

Welcome to CC and to HAL, KidNurse.

You and your DD are sure to have a wonderful time.

Hope when you come home, you'll post some comments letting us know how much you enjoyed yourselves.

Archived