Airline Evaluation

seagopher

We are going to Venice in October and we are trying to decide which airline to use Air France or Lufthansa. If you have had experience with these airlines please express your opinion. We will be returning to the east coast from Barcelona.

1. Don't use US Airways unless it is significantly cheaper.

2. Do you have a FF# with US, United, Delta, Continental, or Northwest?

If you have a FF# with US or United, fly Lufthansa. If you have one with the other 3 airlines I mentioned, fly Air France. If you don't have either, sign up for one of the north american frequent flyer programs, and then choose their partner.

I'd choose Lufthansa because i'm a Air Canada FF and I can earn miles on them.

If you want to post your dates and cities, I can take a look for you and see if any other airlines are running the route.

Thanks TrueBlueTory for the information. We are traveling with a group and USAir out of Philadelphia is a direct flight into Venice. On the return trip you leave Barcelona to Madrid and then a direct flight back to Philadelphia. It only takes a little over eight hours going and 13 hours on the return.

What seems to be the problems with USAir? Would appreciate your reply. Thanks

US Airways is merging right now with America West. They are in a large process of merging two incompatible reservation systems... things are going a bit off... alot of people are having trouble booking with them, etc etc.

As it is, if you book through a travel agent or online agency, you are booking through US Airways (for the most part), and if you book on USAirways.com, you are booking through America West.

No big problem with them, just make sure your reservation goes through properly :P

We are going to Venice in October and we are trying to decide which airline to use Air France or Lufthansa. If you have had experience with these airlines please express your opinion. We will be returning to the east coast from Barcelona.

Have recently flown on both. Air Fr from Phila to Paris to Florence. Luft from Phila to Frank to Berlin. You are treated as a customer on both.

UsAir you are treated like cattle. I have in excess of 165,000 FF miles with them and have resisted using them until they clesn up their act.

Thanks TrueBlueTory for the information. We are traveling with a group and USAir out of Philadelphia is a direct flight into Venice. On the return trip you leave Barcelona to Madrid and then a direct flight back to Philadelphia. It only takes a little over eight hours going and 13 hours on the return.

What seems to be the problems with USAir? Would appreciate your reply. Thanks

Well, most surveys put them at the worst airline to fly on. I flew them twice (Both times were non-stop flights) and they lost my luggage both times. I was at the airport 90 minutes before takeoff on the first one and an hour early on the second flight but the second flight left 45 minutes late because it came in late. They told me the luggage didn't make the flight in time. Come up with a better excuse guys, 1:45 and the luggage can't get from check-in gate to the plane on time?? Turtles move faster!! I'm not giving them a 3rd chance.

Philadelphia and US Airways are the WORST combination going. Even with the America West buyout/merger, things haven't improved in Philly. Luggage is still VERY frequently lost, baggage handlers have an attitude and there are major union problems.

How can you forget the pictures from last Xmas??? People stranded for days at the Philly airport, mostly due to luggage issues. Workers didn't show up and people were stuck. http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/us_air_nightmare.html

US Airways is such a bad airline, I just got rid of all my FF miles. Bought magazine subscriptions and dining certificates, so I didn't have to use the miles for air tickets.

Archived