Great Seafood Restaurant in Miami??

FliLady

I'm looking for a great seafood restaurant in Miami pre-cruise. Any suggestions? Being from MN, I don't get to indulge as often as I would like!!

I'm partial to Monty Trainers - two locations, one in Coconut Grove Marina and the other in Miami Beach, right on Government Cut.

Conch Fritters; conch chowder and a dinner salad with a lil' white wine is my choice.

Either way sit outside

or if 'in season' and you have lots of money, like to stand in line and be potentially ignored by the staff - Joe's Stone Crab is the place the famous ones go. They don't stand in line-- you will. I've heard if you want to experience it, go at lunchtime for a better deal. But I get my stone crab at Monty's too.

While the tourists flock to Joe's and Monty's (I'll admit it, I do as well :p ) another favorite among the locals in Miami is AltaMar, 1223 Lincoln Road, Miami Beach. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
For a fun time and outside eating try Bubba Gumps Shrimp Co. at the Bayside Market across from the port. Show Forrest Gump 24/7 and is a nice time and atmosphere

No No No

PLEASE don't .... not in Miami ... don't do a chain.......

For a fun time and outside eating try Bubba Gumps Shrimp Co. at the Bayside Market across from the port. Show Forrest Gump 24/7 and is a nice time and atmosphere

With so many excellent fresh seafood restaurants in the greater Miami area, pass on Bubba Gumps, it's really a Red Lobster on steriods. :p

Excuse me for saying WE liked Bubba Gumps! What was I thinking stating that my wife and I liked something without checking for approval with other members on this board?

Being from Ohio where in our area we only have Red Lobster and Long John Silvers as seafood restuarants. We enjoyed Bubba Gumps, atmosphere was nice and food was good!

This board is for people to state THEIR opinions on what THEY like, not to criticize other people for having different opinions or tastes.

My mama taught me, if I can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Excuse me for saying WE liked Bubba Gumps! What was I thinking stating that my wife and I liked something without checking for approval with other members on this board?

Being from Ohio where in our area we only have Red Lobster and Long John Silvers as seafood restuarants. We enjoyed Bubba Gumps, atmosphere was nice and food was good!

This board is for people to state THEIR opinions on what THEY like, not to criticize other people for having different opinions or tastes.

My mama taught me, if I can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

U R absolutely right and I appologize

by the way, the food at the McDonalds in Paris is very good....sorry - I see Bubba's on par with Red Lobster

I believe our point is, when visiting a city with so many rest' serving terrific local and ethnic foods....why visit a chain? A chain DOES have the advantage of being 'safe' and 'known' .... Burger King and Red Lobster are expected and do taste the same at every location. I do recognise that the chain may not have a site in your town tho. Carrabbas just reached mine (but I really LIKE them !)

I percieve that when someone asks for a recommendation when visiting a city for the first time....they want local flavor, or something special. If they wanted the same taste they experience @ home, they'd look for Outback

for those reasons I've found, and recommended

Montgomery Inn, Montgomery Ohio - great ribs - world class (but knot a cruise destination!)

Bern's Steakhouse, Tampa - if you've been, you understand - US's largest wine list? & the dessert room.....WOW

Hurricane, Pass-a-grill beach, St Pete FL - outstanding gouper sandwich

Pappagallo, South US 1, Perrine FL - outstanding Italian (not the Ft Lauderdale one)

and I have always found Monty's to have more locals than tourists..imho, but agree that depending on your tastes there are a zillion other excellent places in Miami. I just try to recommend one that's easily findable & that I have actually eaten @ too. Heck, when I go back to Miami I do lunch at a mom&pop Cuban place for a real Cuban Sandwich, and aim for 'gallos for dinner (been eating there for 25 years). I say noooooo to Bubba's in Miami for the same reason I'd say no to Hooter's in the same place..there's a Hooter's in my town. Frankly, Hooter's has some decent chow......but DAMN, I don't waste a Miami visit there...imho. If there wasn't a Hooter's in my town? Wellllll, I still prefer local to a chain when I can get a recommendation.

I found the M-Inn when I asked at the desk of a hotel, "where's a good place for dinner?"

"Our rest' is very good" was the canned reply. So I asked "where do you go for a special dinner? And got the directions to the best ribs I've ever eaten......

(there's a Bubba Gump in the middle of San Fran's Fisherman's Wharf....there oughtta be a law.....)

{and if there's no Hooter's in your town .... well, some consider it a family rest'raunt and there's even Dom Perr'on champagne on the menu!}

Bubba's is 'good' ..... in every one of their locations

With so many excellent fresh seafood restaurants in the greater Miami area, pass on Bubba Gumps, it's really a Red Lobster on steriods. :p

One of the biggest reasons to pass on Bubba Gumps is that it is in Bayside which is to be avoided if at all possible.

The Rusty Pelican on Key Biscayne has outstanding views and the seafood is pretty good. Expensive, as is most seafood but good.

I'm looking for a great seafood restaurant in Miami pre-cruise. Any suggestions? Being from MN, I don't get to indulge as often as I would like!!

One of the best places for seafood in Miami is on S. Dixie Hwy at the Captain's Tavern.

9621 South Dixie Highway, Miami, FL 33156-2842 :)

Captain's Tavern .... not bad ... I lived just a few blocks away. Not bad and very popular with the locals cuz it has been there a long time.

Wasn't on my list to take out of town visitors tho - imho

Rusty Pelican - WOW - now that was a fire! when it burned down .... they always reminded me of 94th Aero Sqndrn .... a chain ..... but the view was/is fantastic.

Rusty Pelican burned? mmmm you better let Tony know he's out of a job. :p

Miami Herald 7/20/06:

Anthony Lauri, executive chef at The Rusty Pelican on Key Biscayne, received the American Academy of Chefs' Southeast Regional Chair's Award earlier this week at the group's annual convention in Philadelphia

The restaurant ia alive and well. Call for reservations.

Archived