Is SA class worth the $$ over SY class

Nikodemos

I'm looking to book on the Westerdam 12/03/06 cruise to the Western Caribbean and I wanted to see peoples opinions on whether it's worth the extra $1k for the perks of the SA class over the SY class.

Only you can answer that question as it pertains to your wishes/expectations. But access to the Neptune Lounge, priority tendering, laundry and the other perks are really very nice. Plus the additional room is very accommodating. If it's in your budget, I'd say go for it.

We would probably do it if we saw a reasonable offer. We've had an SS (just like SY but different location) and loved it! It's a good size and has a much nicer bathroom, IMO, than a VA - and some other appealing features. The SA, SB, SC are larger than the SY/SS/SZ. and have more perks, so if those are appealing, go for it. It's personal preference and personal priorities. In Alaska, we wanted an aft veranda, so when we got an upgrade to SS, we took the time to swap back down to our original VA cabin, even though it was smaller. We wouldn't have done that in the Caribbean because the hot weather could be such a big factor and an open veranda wouldn't have appealed to us at all.

So, it also depends on your specific plans and itinerary. What you might enjoy for one cruise might not be as suitable for another locale. If it's port-intensive and you plan to go ashore and do lots of excursions, you might not want to spend the extra since you won't be in the room as much. Or, you might want it even more since you might want to stay in the room as much as possible when you're not in port, including having evening meals there, etc. It's all how you want to spend your time - and your money.

P.S. If it is $1K total, not $1K per person, I would do it in a heartbeat. I haven't seen the prices that close, but then I never seem to find a good deal on anything, LOL!

Have fun, no matter what you choose!

I just returned from my Alaska cruise and I was in 4185 which is an AFT Cabin -- I have been spoiled. I loved it and to me it is well worth the money. I was upgraded to this cabin but would I pay extra -- you bet I would.

Emily

I got back from Alaska June 11. We were in SC6169. It was so worth the extra money. We spent a lot of time on our own aft balcony looking at the beautiful scenery and eating breakfast there every morning. In Alaska, there is so much to see from the ship. I don't know if it is worth it for a cruise that is at sea a lot. Plus, you have to decide how much time you want to be on the main decks. When I go back to Alaska:), I'll book another aft cabin.

It is definately worth it. The SA suites are true suites while the SY suites are not really suites, just large cabins with a verandah. The S suites are almost twice as big and you get access to the Neptune Lounge as well as other suite perks. I'd go for the SA, it's worth the extra money.

I also feel that if the moneys not an issue,stay with cat. S suite. I am in an interesting situation. We booked a back to back cruise on the westerdam,it does the eastern carib and then the western. (total 14 days) My TA gave me a quote for an SY, I requested an S, so there was confusion. We have always stayed in an S Deluxe Cabin for the last 5 cruises and we are very spoiled. We are expanding from our usual 10 day cruise to 14 days. We do spend time in the room. Only eat breakfast there. Neptune lounge is not a big priority as we stayed in S suites when it did not exsist and did not make a lot of difference with our cruise experience, the room was the thing for us. Now, we are wanting to get into cruises longer and seeing other parts of the world. I want the SY to be great for us for that reason. So this is a test for us. My TA knows herstuff, and stated that she stayed in the same cat.sy on the westerdam and is convinced I will be happy there. She stated she would not let me spend almost twice the amount of money for an S even though she would make more money.( and we were willing to do it) I am looking so forward to it. I will just miss the dressing area on the S and my husband will miss being hooked up to the coffee machine in the neptune. Big deal, we are fortunate to have such problems.

We'd not hesitate to made that change. I only wish, hope, pray, etc., that they get the difference between our presently booked cabin, a category below, and a full S even close to the difference mentioned. Right now it's 3 1/2 times (almost doubling the per diem rate for the cruise) that difference and I can't justify it.....I'm working on it mentally but no luck so far. :o

Thank you all for the information. I have a few questions. My wife and I travelled on the Zuiderdam Nov 05 for our first cruise and had a great time. We were in a SS cabin.

We are contemplating doing our second cruise on the Westerdam in December of this year, but this time taking our son who will be in his senior yr of college. We thought of booking one of the SA, SB or SC cabins. I think I know the difference between the SS, and these cabins (larger than the SS cabins and the Neptune and some other amenities). Having said that we have a couple of questions:

1) What is the difference between the SA, SB and SC cabins? I see they are priced differently.

2) On other parts of this board I have noticed some people complain that the stern cabins had significant engine noise problems. Did any of you find this to be true in the SA, SB or SC cabins?

3) We were in a mid cabin on the Zuiderdam on the Navigation deck. We encountered 12-20 foot seas for 36 hrs (late tropical storm) but we felt fine in the mid portion of the ship and didn't get sea sick. How is the stern of the ship as far as ride?

4) Did you find it odd looking at all of the other stern cabin verandahs or was it ok?

5) Since our son will be coming with us, any comments on the sofa bed comfort? Thank you all for your comments.

Tom

IMHO - No, it's not worth $1000/pp on a 7-day cruise to go from an SS to an SA unless you need the extra space to entertain or have 3rd and 4th persons with you in the suite. However, I believe it is worth $500/pp to move up to an SC (aft-corner suite)

Thank you all for the information. I have a few questions. My wife and I travelled on the Zuiderdam Nov 05 for our first cruise and had a great time. We were in a SS cabin.

We are contemplating doing our second cruise on the Westerdam in December of this year, but this time taking our son who will be in his senior yr of college. We thought of booking one of the SA, SB or SC cabins. I think I know the difference between the SS, and these cabins (larger than the SS cabins and the Neptune and some other amenities). Having said that we have a couple of questions:

1) What is the difference between the SA, SB and SC cabins? I see they are priced differently.

The SA are all mid-ship. They are considered by some to be prime location and, therefore, the most costly. SC are forward and are the same size/configuration as the SA. The fun comes with the "SB". To some, they are a must. They love the aft location. BUT they are smaller size with huge verandas. The space in the room is noticeably smaller but to many being aft and looking at the wake and having the ultra large veranda is what they want. Personally, I prefer being mid-ship. JMHO...... :)

2) On other parts of this board I have noticed some people complain that the stern cabins had significant engine noise problems. Did any of you find this to be true in the SA, SB or SC cabins?

I've noticed no noise problems at all in SA.

3) We were in a mid cabin on the Zuiderdam on the Navigation deck. We encountered 12-20 foot seas for 36 hrs (late tropical storm) but we felt fine in the mid portion of the ship and didn't get sea sick. How is the stern of the ship as far as ride?

4) Did you find it odd looking at all of the other stern cabin verandahs or was it ok?

We were in the biggest Suites on the former Ocean Princess. The suite was really large and really beautiful. I did not like being on the stern. I didn't like looking at where we had been........I prefer the view from port or starboard. JMHO..... When aft on Ocean Princess, we experienced really loud noises every morning when the ship was docking and again when leaving port. The thrusters were really annoyingly loud. But, fo course, different ship. I have no idea if the Vista ships make the same noise. I haven't read much about it so I doubt it is very annoying.

It didn't bother me at all with the cabin beside us. No different than having a cabin on either side of you when you are port or starboard rather than at the ster.

5) Since our son will be coming with us, any comments on the sofa bed comfort? Thank you all for your comments.

Don't know. In all our times in the "S", it's always just been the two of us.

Tom

Hope this is some help. We love the "S" and we love having access to Neptune Lounge. To other people it means little, and that is absolutely fine. It's a matter of personal choice which category and location suits you best.

The most important is being on the ship. :)

The extra space of an S with the third person would be very much worth it, IMO. My MIL used the sofa bed and said it was very comfortable. A mid-ship location will give you the best ride. The farther forward/aft you are, the more pitch you will feel in rough seas.

Archived