First Timer - things to expect?

'Bama

Please forgive me if this post isn't the most appropriate. As the subject says, I'm a first timer - on a cruise and here at Cruise Critic.

We'll be going on our first cruise this fall - Carnival Valor, Sep. 24 to the East Carribbean.

I've been reading up on some of the Shore Excursions, and the descriptions of the islands and ship from CruiseCritic have been helpful. But I'm curious - are there things that might catch me off guard? For instance, I see that Orient Beach at St. Martin is has a clothing optional section, and most of the beach can be topless. Is this the only area where clothing optional and/or topless is allowed? What's the Yellowbird Party Boat like, in particular the "private island"?

Also, in the description of Valor, the statement was made that some staterooms have twin beds that can't be combined. With whom should we check to make sure that our room isn't like this?

The only thing I can answer is about the party boat excursion. I did that on my very first cruise, and kicked myself afterwards. It was an all-you-can-drink rum swizzle party with a buncha drunks on board - and very loud the entire time. The private island was so-so, nothing to do but lie on the beach. The thing is, I missed seeing St. Thomas - completely. Dumb move on my part. Never did an excursion again. I later flew to St. Thomas so I could actually experience the island. Think about it.:rolleyes:

I'm trying to read into your question here and I'm not sure how to respond. Are you very conservative and don't want the party atmosphere or are you looking for a good party. Just tell us what you want and we'll try to help. I'd also suggest trying the boards for the specific ports of call. I seriously have no idea what you want or what you're looking to find/avoid.

Tell us and we'll try to help.

First rule of cruising,

NO WORRIES< MON.

Seriously, we have been on several cruises and worried ourselves into a dither for the first 5, then we found we could relax and just follow the crowd. Do a lot of online exploring and by checking these boards, you can gain a wealth of info.

By the way, keep our ship clean, because we are on the next sailing of Valor 10/01/06 to the Western Caribbean after you. Our cabin is 7442, direct aft on Empress deck. Would be kinda weird if you had our cabin!

The party cruises are just that...lots of boozing and loud obnoxious people. Some just cannot control themselves and make it miserable for others. The E caribbean is our favorite, and on St. Maarten, by all means do the America's Cup regatta if Carnival offers it or book it independently. It will be the best $80 you ever spent. We actually sailed the boat ourselves, and it was really Am. Cup boats we were using, the Stars and Stripes and True North, Canadas boat. It was awesome.

Being your first time, you may want to book all your excursions from Carnival, but as you learn and gain confidence, booking some things independently can be a big plus. While you're on the ship, strike up conversations with others and see what they have done in the past, with whom and the cost. We always jot these tips down, because we have saved a lot of $$ in the past few years. And people just love to share their "deals".

Just remember....RELAX AND ENJOY....Sit on your balcony at night and breathe in the soft sea air, and thank GOD because you are so blessed.

Happy Cruising.

Kim

We have done the E. Caribbean itinerary on the Valor and really enjoyed it. At St. Thomas we did a snorkeling excursion with free rum punch on the way back after snorkeling. It was the best of both worlds. The snorkeling was a lot of fun, especially since some in our group of 9 had never snorkeled before. Then on the way back we enjoyed rum punch. No one got loud or obnoxious, but we were a group of very happy folks and every one had a great time without getting totally blitzed.

In St.Martin you can grab a taxi at port to Little Divi Bay resort, less than 10 minutes away. You can access the beach behind were they offer water sports, (jetski's) etc. It is a great beach. Then you can head into town for shopping if you like. We did this on our last trip instead of doing any ship excursion. ;)

Please forgive me if this post isn't the most appropriate. As the subject says' date=' I'm a first timer - on a cruise and here at Cruise Critic.

We'll be going on our first cruise this fall - Carnival Valor, Sep. 24 to the East Carribbean.

I've been reading up on some of the Shore Excursions, and the descriptions of the islands and ship from CruiseCritic have been helpful. But I'm curious - are there things that might catch me off guard? For instance, I see that Orient Beach at St. Martin is has a clothing optional section, and most of the beach can be topless. Is this the only area where clothing optional and/or topless is allowed? What's the Yellowbird Party Boat like, in particular the "private island"?

Also, in the description of Valor, the statement was made that some staterooms have twin beds that can't be combined. With whom should we check to make sure that our room isn't like this?[/quote']

The area where they drop you off at Orient Beach is not a Nude beach, you have to walk futher down to see the wrinkley stuff. Nothing you want to see trust me.

The area where they drop you off at Orient Beach is not a Nude beach, you have to walk futher down to see the wrinkley stuff. Nothing you want to see trust me.

Never heard that section of Orient Beach described that way before but I love your description. You put the whole picture into the just the right words.:D

Dianne

In St. Maarten get the all day water taxi pass, it's only $5 and good all day.

We went to the beach that's right where the taxis let you off, then at lunch we could go back to the ship, then go back on the island. It was a great deal for only $5!

When we were at the beach we rented jet skis and had a great time!

The only thing I know about Orient Beach is that earlier this year my great-grandmother inadverdently ended up there and was in for a big surprise! :eek:

Never heard that section of Orient Beach described that way before but I love your description. You put the whole picture into the just the right words.:D

Dianne

Thank you Dianne, I will never forget what Wendy said "OMG Whats that red sauasage thing sticking out" LOL and then after I saw some prume looking stuff :confused: I said lets turn around NOW !!!! and we ran back.:D

Please forgive me if this post isn't the most appropriate. As the subject says' date=' I'm a first timer - on a cruise and here at Cruise Critic.

Also, in the description of Valor, the statement was made that some staterooms have twin beds that can't be combined. With whom should we check to make sure that our room isn't like this?[/quote']

I want to say expect to have a great time however if you are very conservative, this cruise is for 2000 + and not everyone can be 100% pleased.....call your TA that is what you pay him for, tell him your concerns if that doesn't work call your cruise line.....

Thank you Dianne, I will never forget what Wendy said "OMG Whats that red sauasage thing sticking out" LOL and then after I saw some prume looking stuff :confused: I said lets turn around NOW !!!! and we ran back.:D

LOL. Still remember the first time I took my oldest daughter into a Porta-Potty. She was about 4. We were at a little league T-Ball game. Winnie pointed to the urinal on the side of the cubby and asked what that was for. I told her that was for little boys. She looked up at me with eyes that had seen enlightenment and her next words were priceless but can't be printed here on these boards.:D

Life's a trip.

Dianne

Uhhh, to actually attempt to answer one of your questions.....

What Category Room Did you Book ?? Cat. 1A has 1 upper and 1 lower Bed. Sort of like bunk beds. Otherwise the beds are 2 twins that can be put together to make a king-size.

You are gonna have such a great time.....:)

Thanks, everyone.

I'm actually fairly conservative, but not prudish. I won't be offended by nudity, but that's not exactly what I'm going for! I guess I was just wanting to know what to expect, to prepare myself - not so much to avoid anything. I don't want to come back shocked:D. Also, I don't mind folks drinking (which I could tell was a big part of the Party Boat), but if the sole purpose is to drink, then I think I'd rather find something else.

We're in a category 6A room, cabin 1360, Riviera Deck. At least that's what our booking at the Carnival website says; I don't know if the cabin number is reserved, or their best buess for now (my wife made the reservations). I'm pretty sure we did request the Ocean View. Sounds like we'll be okay bed-wise.

I'm excited about my first cruise!

Remember that we were all first time newbee's once, with many of the same concerns that you have. Ask away, and learn. Remember also that, just like any group, you may get 5 different answers to the same question. Life is made of different experiences, and we are all experiencing a different part of it now. After your trip, you will be answering questions for others.

Relax, go with the flow, and remember that a day on a cruise ship is better than .... almost any other day.

Enjoy your trip, and welcome to the boards.

Skiorcruise

You will have the time of your life.

Orient Beach is supposed to have sections where nudity is allowed and others where it is not but in truth there is both toplessness and nudity everywhere, though most of the nudist tend to stay on the south end of the beach.

Archived