Pooled Tips

jascruise

There has been some discussion regarding what happens to additional tips given to crewmembers under the new policy, that is, amounts presented directly over and above the $10 per day added to one's shipboard account.

I questioned HAL and received a reply:

"...Thank you for your e-mail regarding the tipping policy onboard. If passengers choose to make an additional cash gratuity to certain crew members onboard they are more than welcome to do so. The additional cash gratuity will not be added to the pool of tips, this would be the specific crew members to keep based on the exceptional service you feel you received."

Is this consistent with what others have been told?

I have been told that if you do NOT have the automatic tip charge removed from your account and you do NOT reduce it, any additional tips you give to any one will NOT be pooled. It will be theirs to keep.

This is how it works on Princess. So its logical that this would be the same on HAL. I hope that this alleviates some anxiety on the board. Others ahve posted to the contrary but to me it just made no sense. I think that there is always some confusion and misinformation whenever a change goes into place. Hopefully it is all sorted out by now.

:)

On our Maasdam cruise this past May when this new policy first began, we left the automatic $10 per day, per person on our account.

[size=4][color=red]AND[/color][/size] we gave extra tips to our cabin steward, dining room steward, his assistant, wine steward, bar staff, concierge, and others whom we felt did an excellent job and who treated us well - this included those who served us in the Queen's Room for breakfast and lunch and the waitstaff in the Pinnacle Grill.

:D

Archived