Beating the bar tab

joeinwpb

Seadoc: :)
You bring up a couple points, previously unmentioned.

Stillfrantic: :eek:
Do not to get the thighs shrunk.
Amo un buen muslo.
Rough translation = That would be the wrong thing to do. :D

:) [quote name='joeinwpb']There is a thread out there today. Someone is asking for tips on ways to smuggle a thermos to the pool to save on his bar tab. Couldn't help making a reply to it. Here it is:

" [color=darkred]Bringing in liquor to have an occasional drink in your stateroom is something I can understand. Cheating on your bar tab aboard ship is less than exemplary.

Do you also smuggle in your booze when you go to a nightclub, or restaurant? It's the same thing

Sounds like a maneuver that others pay for.

[b]Cheap[/b] "[/color][/QUOTE]
The above was the original post. I don't think we got so far off topic really.

Orcrone, you can't just read the last page:) ! If you read a bit more, you'd see the evolution. Some of it is a bit off topic, but we always got back to it.

Seadoc, I have to say I respect your views and your right to express them. But I have to disagree with you. I think the cruiselines have every right to make policy on what you can and cannot bring onboard their ships. We rent a small space for a brief moment in time and think we own it; we do not. If people want to go against policy, it doesn't bother me personally but I do think they should recognize that in our society we presumably follow the rules.

That's just my opinion:o .

[quote name='vjb223']Superstein61 sorry we missed you on the Dec. So. America and the Canada May cruise, going to Eastern Carib. in Oct. you are always welcomed to join us.[/QUOTE]

Thanks vjb223 !!!! Alas I will be in the Eastern Caribbean in about a month - so we will miss each other. But hopefully our paths will cross somewhere down the road. Enjoy your Oct cruise (and whatever libation you may carry on board :) )

[QUOTE]Does any one know if a person may buy liquer at the ships store And take it back to your room ?
On other lines this can be done for an extra fee.[/QUOTE]

It used to be allowed. On the Statendam in 2002 I bought a bottle of gin in order to fix drinks for friends and myself in my cabin one formal night.

Sadly, they no longer allow us to purchase from the duty free shops onboard for consumption onboard. You CAN purchase through ship's services for a higher price. Frankly, I think it's a silly rule; if they were not making enough from the sale of booze in the duty free shops for onboard consumption, then just up that price and allow us to buy it there. Other purchases -- booze for taking home -- they can charge us less and let us pick it up on the last night of the cruise.

[quote name='sail7seas']My reasoning is that in places such as Cozumel, I would not eat or drink a thing. I would not touch a glass there (washed in local water); would not touch an ice cube....would not risk needlessly becoming ill and ruining our vacation. (I know, I know...there are a whole string of folks who are all prepared to tell me how safe it is to eat the food, drink the drinks.....:) It's our preference to eat on the ship when we are in Mexico.)

So, in Cozumel, I bring a bottle of water ashore with us.

In other ports, if we want a drink, we stop at a local establishment, order what we want and pay the bill when we are ready to leave.[/QUOTE]
you are so well traveled and i am in shock that you feel so gaurded in mexico when we were in india i felt that it was not possible to take the risk other than in the large hotels but mexico? could you explain further as i respect your opinion. thanks fellow traveler

As you say, we have done a great deal of travel and we have determined through at least ten visits to Cozumel that we do not care to eat and drink there. It is only our personal choice.

As I wrote, I know there are many who will say Pooh...it is perfectly safe to eat and drink in Mexico. I do not doubt they have had only good experiences.

Perhaps we are more inclined to forego eating/drinking there as we are not huge fans of Mexican style dishes. Now if it were a cuisine we are more fond of, it might be harder to resist. :)

:)

We also do not eat or drink in any port in Mexico unless it is a drink without ice - ABSOLUTLY. And in Mexico we have it without ROCKS.

Wife had a bad experience quite a number of years ago in Istanbul. We were told that the Four Seasons Hotel was alright to drink. We both drank it for several days without any problems. On the last night before our cruise I had Raki and she B&B. Guess who was sick in the middle of the night?

I told her she should have had the Raki!

You won't get us to drink water or have iced drinks in Mexico!

:D :D

We have NEVER had a problem with anything we ate or drank in Cozumel.

I love mexican cuisine - and you would be doing yourself a disfavor not sampling some authentic cuisine on Cozumel. Not to mention the Margarita's !!!!!

If you do some real research, you will find that drinking and eating in Cozumel is extremely safe. That may not hold true all over Mexico - but it certainly does in Cozumel !!!

Don't let some overly cautious folks scare you off from sampling the local fare.

• 6 months later...
Sails7seas,
Everyone knows you hate B2B's, the Zuiderdam, the Maasdam, and absolutely
hate the gooie ribs on the private island. You even privately hate the Boston
Red Sox and the "S" suites mid deck so close to that special suite room just down the hall. All of us know it's the Boston elites who smuggle the booze on board and pin the blame on the rest of us. Smaller deeds have been the
cause dumping tea in our histories past. Now what do you have to say for yourself?

Just gotta say....I was raised on the best Mexican food (I'm from Colorado, not Latino...just an older, mature WASPy lady - get the picture?) and have been to Cozumel/Cancun/Manzanillo/Mazatlan/Puerto Vallarta/Playa del Carmen/Puerto Aventura/Akumal/Mexico City ad infinitum, and am proud to say that some of the very best - and genuine - "Mexican" food I've ever had was in the local "dives" in these places....not to mention the great, freshly prepared burritos (all kinds) straight out of the local vendor/coolers outside of Mile High Stadium (proud owner of Bronco season tickets since 1973). Chorizo....love it!!! When I travel - which I do frequently - I always ask the "locals" where the best place to eat is, and these - ahem - "locals" have never failed me. What really bugs me is the out-dated and over-emphasized misconception of the "Montezuma's Revenge" theory that you can't drink the water in Mexico. Oh, please! The tourist areas in Mexico cleaned up their water years ago! Won't drink if there's ice in the drink? Well, if you won't drink it, I will! Never had a problem with "Mexican" water or ice in 20 years. If you THINK you'll get sick from drinking "Mexican" water or ice, you absolutely will! Just save those drinks for me!
Going on the Zuiderdam Eastern on April 9 (had a GREAT time on my first time on this ship). Hasta la bye bye from the WASP, and just send any chile rellenos my way!

Ahh, the "olde" bringing booze onboard bhru-hah-hah! Yes, I was furious the first time HAL "confiscated" my beloved KALIK Beer from the Bahamas (can't get it here, up-north), but I figured, oh-well, if thats what it has to be; then so be it. As I could enjoy it more at home, all the same. Just like I would'nt bring down my Fav local brew (Miller Lite) to drag on the plane and then to the pier and then on the ship (Arg!, enough allready). Like everyone said previously, your "on vacation", go with the flow. Thanks for making my "1st" post, truly memorable. :D

Don't they have room service and mini-bars in the room?

You're paying 4-5 grand, minimum, for a decent vacation, spend the extra couple of bucks and drink what they have to offer. Otherwise, rent a villa for the week and drink duty free Dom all day.
It's not like you smuggling some good pot on board and looking for a place to get high, understandable on a sea cruise. Marijuanna prevents motion sickness, increases the appetite and allows one to lie by the pool, uninterupted, for longer periods of time. Also longer, slower, less inhibited sex, always a plus in a room dominated by a bed.

Call room service, have them bring up a bottle of tequila, a few limes, a shaker of salt and a six of Red Stripe or Heinies, then call me.

I just called HAL to clarify their policy. They will sell bottles in their duty free store, but they will take them only to return them to you on the last day. They do not have a service charge that you can pay to allow you to drink the bottles in your cabin. At all of the bars on ship, they will sell you bottles of whatever alcohol that you want. She gave me a price example on vodka: least expensive around 29 up to Belevedere at 76/liter. They only sell liters. They said that you can bring wine and champagne on board for in cabin consumption. Bringing it to dinner will require a corkage fee. Hope this helps. I just got this info today.:)

[quote name='ewddy']I just called HAL to clarify their policy. They will sell bottles in their duty free store, but they will take them only to return them to you on the last day. They do not have a service charge that you can pay to allow you to drink the bottles in your cabin. At all of the bars on ship, they will sell you bottles of whatever alcohol that you want. She gave me a price example on vodka: least expensive around 29 up to Belevedere at 76/liter. They only sell liters. They said that you can bring wine and champagne on board for in cabin consumption. Bringing it to dinner will require a corkage fee. Hope this helps. I just got this info today.:)[/QUOTE]

[b]That has been HAL's policy on liquor for at least six months...... probably more than that by now. You can pre-order bottles of liquor to be delivered to your cabin and it will be there when you board. Call Ship's Services if you wish to order before you board.[/b]

• 2 weeks later...

Archived