Half Moon Cay - who is using it?

Copper10-8

I saw some internet pics over the weekend that depicted Carnival ships and passengers at Half Moon Cay. Is HMC now a regular stop for Carnival ships? If so, do CCL ships show up at the same time as HAL ships do on certain days of the week? Has anybody been there at the same time as a CCL ship? Just being curious:) .

I guess since it's all in the family....I mean Carnival Corp owns several lines including CCL and HAL....that I can understand they getting full use out of HMC. I don't know about having a CCL and a HAL ship at HMC at the same time....doesn't sound too cool to me but that's because I don't think 2 HAL ships at HMC is cool and it has nothing to do with CCL or its passengers. Luckily, though I know that happens, it's never happened to us. Looking forward to our next cruise but one of the shortfalls is that HMC is not on the itinerary.

My understanding is that no other line will call there when a HAL ship is anchored at HMC. Its use is greater now that HAL has no ships in the Caribbean, but that will change once the Alaska season is over.

Seeing as HAL has no ships in the Caribbean between mid April and mid October, Carnival is using the island. I have been told (hope it is true) that there are no plans for there to ever be Carnival ships sharing on the same day with an HAL ship.

It would be a shame for it to remain unused for a full half of the year when others can be enjoying it.

Carnival has a couple of ships that call at HMC every week this summer. They will continue to use HMC during the fall, winter and spring, even after HAL returns to the area, but all of the schedules I've seen have the two cruise lines there on different days. there are days with two HAL ships there and perhaps days with two Carnival ships, but not one of each... so far.

Windstar was owned by HAL before the CCL purchase - so it would make sense that Windstar might be seen there at times - perhaps even when HAL ships were there.

Does Carnival not have their own "private island"?? I guess I had just assumed that all the major cruise lines do.....

Yes and no...

No CCL doesn't have a Carnival-branded private island. They have historically preferred to invest their money in developing new facilities & building new piers at existing ports (Cozumel, St Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk) and going in w/ other corporations to develop new ports (Costa Maya). However, through their Princess aquisition CCL now own two private islands - HMC and Princess Cay.

Disney, NCL and RCCL have private islands, and MSC is developing one, but Celebrity, Costa and Cunard don't

Archived