Inside Cabin-will I Hate It? Tell Me Something Good About It!

wizard-of-roz

If you want to know what the weather is like.....turn on the TV for the Bridge Cam which will tell you what the weather is like.

We have had quite a few and the cost savings give us the opportunity to travel on longer, more exotic trips and to travel more often.......:)

Thank you, Thank you.....truly, from the bottom of my heart.....We love cruising and want to do it often but the cost was really cutting into our budget....Now, with an inside cabin, we can enjoy all the pleasures, without the "pinch"!

All of your suggestions were great from; nightlights, flashlights, "up the air", fabulous pictures of the actual rooms, lighted travel clocks, great "sleeping in" time, T.V. as a port hole (what a concept), leaving the bathroom door ajar and especially "don't panic"!

Really, I was starting to feel "panicy" and now, you all freed me from my fears......(at least when it comes to cruising in inside cabins). Let's not talk about the myriad of other phobias I have.......

I'm counting the days, again! Thanks to all of you!!!!!

I love these boards!:p

Roz

I have also done inside, outside and balcony. My least favorite was the outside cabin. You can't see much out of the window - it's not like you can look down at the water. I reverted back to an inside AFTER I had a balcony cabin. Many say once you've had a balcony you can't go back but the inside was fine. Nice and dark and cool. On the Grand I think the lights by the bed were on a dimmer. Plus there's plenty of deck space around the ship to enjoy.

Mrs. Gump: I too have heard, "once you have a balcony, you can't go back"! We had a balcony in October and I must tell you that we missed out on so much that was going on around the ship for fear that we wouldn't use our balcony enough!

Well, we used it and thoroughly enjoyed it!

I'm ready for a change and for more "on deck" viewing! And shipboard activities!

When I want to nap, at least I'll be able to, without fearing that I'm missing something outside of my balcony!

Boy! Has my tune changed, I'm really feeling good about this move and you all have helped me feel that way! :p

Thanks,

Roz

The price is right. If a person is in there cabin more than 2 hours a day, they are missing life on the ship:) We paid extra for a balcony one time. We prefer to spend that money on the ship & the ports of call:)

We were lucky enough to have been assigned an inside handicapped cabin on a last minute cruise several years ago on the Grand. Out of 15 Princess cruises, including inside, outside, and balcony, we liked this cabin the best and it was dirt cheap. It was the size of two regular cabins and the bathroom was huge. We had two tvs, couch, more closet/drawer space than we could fill. Also had a bar with an additional sink. I would take a cabin like this anytime over a balcony. I keep asking when I book, but since I am not handicapped, I usually don't qualify unless it is a last minute booking.

ENJOY!

We were lucky enough to have been assigned an inside handicapped cabin on a last minute cruise several years ago on the Grand. Out of 15 Princess cruises, including inside, outside, and balcony, we liked this cabin the best and it was dirt cheap. It was the size of two regular cabins and the bathroom was huge. We had two tvs, couch, more closet/drawer space than we could fill. Also had a bar with an additional sink. I would take a cabin like this anytime over a balcony. I keep asking when I book, but since I am not handicapped, I usually don't qualify unless it is a last minute booking.

ENJOY!

Since you are not handicapped or in a wheelchair, you should not even be asking for this type of cabin. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Roz,

An inside cabin is better than being home or at work, right??

You are still on the ship ;)

With the money you save with an inside cabin you can take another cruise :)

I really don't have major problems with an inside. It is my preference, of course not. I would love to have a balcony for every cruise. But, not always an option.

I do find that I sleep well in an inside cabin. Perhaps as it can be so dark.

If you need some light you can bring along a night light, or leave the light on in the bathroom. You can put the tv on the bridge cam for some tv sunlight too.

Hope you enjoy your cruise :)

Largin - I never asked for the handicapped cabin the first time I received one. I booked last minute on a New Year's cruise as a guarantee and took anything. I lucked out. I believe Princess does release these cabins to non handicapped people at some point close to sailing date. Again, it is a great cabin.

Someone on this board put it better than I ever could, so I'm plagiarizing here:

Cruise once a year in a suite

Cruise twice a year in a balcony cabin

Cruise three times a year in an oceanview cabin

Cruise four times a year in an inside cabin

Maybe the math isn't perfect, but you get the drift. In fact, we seem to get more out of the ship experience when we cruise in an inside than when we cruise in a balcony cabin. Location on the ship, more than cabin type, is most important to us. Inside cabins tend to be quieter and cooler than balcony cabins, and the best sleep you'll ever get is "inside cabin" sleep. I do like to pack a nightlight though...we used to leave the bathroom door ajar for light, but a night of rough seas put an end to that!

We travel with an illuminated clock that projects the time on the ceiling as well as the face plate. So when DW gets up in the middle of the night to visit "the room" she can tell what time it is. The red projection on the ceiling is easy to read in a dark inside cabin, just make sure the clock is angled on the desk so that the projection is oriented towards the bed.

BTW an earlier poster stated that the insides on the Sun class were claustrophobic, an understatement! We were inside on the Ocean once, unusable. I don't know how such an experienced maritime line could come up with such a poor design, where the hallway service closets are recessed into the area of the cabin resulting in usuable space = to a large broomcloset.:eek:

We've booked an inside cabin on the Diamond Princess.....I'm not usually chlostrophobic...will this room do me in?

Our room is a handicapped accessible room.....so, it is a little larger than most.

Suddenly, I'm getting worried about this....:rolleyes:

Have you ever stayed in one and what's the feeling of no windows? Do you have any helpful hints? :confused:

Roz

Hello wizard-of-row

I am a bit chlostrophobic and we loved to cruise and we always book an inside cabin it is cheaper and that gives us the chance to cruise more.

For us we are never in our cabin we prefer to go out to look at the view and also we can change side if it is more interesting on the other side.

We were on the Diamond in February it is a wonderfull ship and I am sure that you will have a wonderfull time cruising

Thanks again, for the kind words. It's a bit scary trying something new....

I'm bringing my service dog, who is about 70 pounds, which is why we get a handicapped room. She is a hearing dog and assists me by alerting me to sounds in my environment that I can not hear. It's so wonderful how cruise ships treat these amazing animals. It's even more fun to watch people's reactions to her on board the ship.

I'm truly looking forward to this cruise and I thank you all so much for the great input of ideas and good wishes! :)

Warmly,

Roz

Last year on our Alaska cruise we had seeing eye dogs with their co-partners and they were delightful. Its amazing how wonderful and caring these dogs and the other guests on the ship reacted. It wonderful how the crew takes care and everyone can enjoy a wonderful vacation. God bless you and yours and may you all have a wonderful cruise.

Roz, on our last transatlantic cruise in November of 2005, there was a couple with two aid dogs. It's the first time I've ever seen them on a ship and I was amazed at how well trained they were. I had never seen dogs before who seemed to ignore crowds without a peep. The only hitch came when we reached Galveston, the end of our cruise and the first port call in the USA. The immigration people didn't know how to handle these animals that were coming in from Spain (our embarkation port). They finally passed through after the immigration officer consulted with his supervisor.

We've booked inside, outside, outside restricted view and balcony. We base our selection on the cruise and itinerary. We are booked in Feb. on the Grand in an inside cabin, the cruise is in the warm and sunny Caribbean and only 7 days and we will be out by the pool or on excursions most of the daytime hours, at dinner or shows or sleeping during the nighttime. We also booked an inside cabin on the Grand Mediterranean cruise last year...it was very port intensive, we were gone all day and fell into bed at night exhausted...no need for a balcony. We are cruising on the Sapphire 31 days from Sydney to Los Angeles and have taken a balcony for this cruise because we will have a lot of sea days and some scenic cruising days, so the choice is yours. You will not need to carry along a fan because the thermostats are adjustable and we have never found an inside cabin to be stuffy...if it is a little warm while we are dressing we just turn up the AC a little. I am also a tad claustrophobic and being inside doesn't bother me at all. Sissy

I have had every category of cabin, from an Owners Suite, suite, balcony, etc. I found that with any suite, I tended to isolate myself a bit too much and it took away from the camraderie I enjoy on a cruiseship.

My daughters and I have taken to the pleasant habit of doing a spring break cruise. We always get an inside - and use one of the bunks as well!

On a hot criuse, it is a cool and cozy cocoon.

I wouldnt bother with a balcony as I would only like more cabin space and there is no real difference (the additional square footage is in the balcony).

You can imagine a woman with two teenage girls sharing this space ! In real life I have plenty of space so its a fun contrast. Sort of like camping out.

Bring the ILLUMINATED alarm clock. Also bring an extention cord. I had to buy one in St Thomas this last year as we had too many appliances (ipod, phone, nebulizer, clock, hairdryer, hairstraightener, battery for camera, etc).

It takes up no space if you dont need it. The way the outlets are set up on the dressing table they are very hard to use. To get more space, bring a hanging shoe bag for the closet, and one for toileteries in the Bathroom.

There is very little storage space and I keep one suitcase that I can easily slide out from under the bed to gain more.

And yes, it is hard on the poor stewards as there is always soneone sleeping.

DeepWaterMariner: You would really get a kick out of my service dog at the airports. She wears a vest that has zippered pockets on each side (for her toilet bags) and security literally has to "pat her down" before we can enter. Everyone, in line, smiles when they see it!

When we go to the shows I insist that she sit on a seat next to me because you wouldn't believe what we've found in her fur on various floors, especially at the movies or in the shows on cruise ships. In the restaurants we have no choice but to take our chances. I try to be as carful as I can with checking the floor, under the table but sometimes she comes out with the most amazing "stuff" on her!

She has been trained not to bark, whine or lick in public. She would blow your mind with her work ethic and some of the things that she can do! I'm very proud to be her human!

Sissy: That is what I call my older sister.....YEAH!, on the inside cabin info. I truly appreciate the reassurance!

Jacqueline: Shoe bag! What a great idea! And, I think you're right about the fan and the air conditioning. Inside rooms are not subject to open doors or sun coming through the windows.

All of you have made me feel so much better about my "cacoon"!

Warmly,

Roz

Took the Sapphire to Alaska (inside passage) had a balcony HC room. Even though it was the 4th of July, it was COLD!! We only used the balcony after wearing almost everything we had along and wrapping in blankets. Inside would have been perfect.

Archived