Inside Cabin-will I Hate It? Tell Me Something Good About It!

wizard-of-roz

We've booked an inside cabin on the Diamond Princess.....I'm not usually chlostrophobic...will this room do me in?

Our room is a handicapped accessible room.....so, it is a little larger than most.

Suddenly, I'm getting worried about this....:rolleyes:

Have you ever stayed in one and what's the feeling of no windows? Do you have any helpful hints? :confused:

Roz

We've booked an inside cabin on the Diamond Princess.....I'm not usually chlostrophobic...will this room do me in?

Our room is a handicapped accessible room.....so, it is a little larger than most.

Suddenly, I'm getting worried about this....:rolleyes:

Have you ever stayed in one and what's the feeling of no windows? Do you have any helpful hints? :confused:

Roz

It is really dark if you turn the lights out. :D

We have been in a few inside cabins over the years and the way I look at it is you are not in the cabin that much, and a cruise is a cruise. I would glad to be on no matter what. Inside cabins are just as comfy as an outside in my book.

I say don't worry be happy.

Take a small lamp or night light so its not completely dark when the door is closed. And think of all the money you saved!! To me, the bigger issue would be air circulation. Dark I can stand, dark and stuffy at the same time I can't. I bet you'll be fine. On a lot of ships, the inside are no smaller than the outside cabins....the only way to get more actual room is in a mini-suite.

MD

Unless you go to balcony then you gain the small footage of the balcony on a std balcony. It has to be minsuite, you then have real meaningful increase of footage

As someone posted, bring a nightlight with you. Though many times the door usually has a tiny opening at the bottom and the light from hallway sips through.

We have sailed in inside, outside, balcony - we actually prefer inside over outside. We would opt for balcony if the price differential between an inside and a balcony is only 20% higher, then the balcony becomes a great bargain not to pass up. Though many times the balcony is 60 to 100% higher than an inside.

Thanks, so far for, the great tips.

I will bring a nightlight.

I will bring a small electric fan, along with an extention cord.

The thought of "stuffy" makes me cringe!

Okay, okay...I'm feeling it! It's starting to look enticing again! :p

Thanks again,

Roz

Positive side - That pesky sun won't wake you up in the morning.

As others have stated, if you don't plan to be in your cabin much, then you are saving some dough. We like to utilize are cabin and balcony probably a bit more than most do so we only get balconys. My fiance is prone to seasickness and finds that looking outside helps her. Most recently we had an aft balcony and she felt no ill effcets at all.

If you find you don't care for the inside cabin, then you will know to book an outside cabin on your next adventure.

Either way, you are going to be on a cruise. So, have a GREAT time!

You'll have the best sleep of your life. Seriously. Those rooms are so dark, and when you combine that with the motion of the ship, forget about it! You'll be out like a light. You may want to request a wake-up call so you don't oversleep. They really aren't so bad - I find them rather cozy. Just crank up the A/C and all will be fine.

When I had an inside cabin, I actually loved the cabin. It was great and the location was terrific. However, it did bother me that I always had to turn on a light when I opened the door, even mid-day. There was no ambient light in the cabin at all.

Some people love it. I've done it and would rather book an obstructed outside cabin. But that's me.

We've had many inside cabins over the years and it has never been a problem for us. Forget about it being stuffy. There is no more reason for an inside cabin being stuffy than there is for an outside cabin. If you have a balcony you can open the door to the outside but you can't open the window in an outside cabin. You have a handicapped cabin which means you have a larger cabin than 99 percent of the standard outside cabins. Enjoy the extra space. The determining factor for us is how much time we spend in the room. If we are going to spend a significant amount of time in the room than we prefer and outside.

One tip... take a small flashlight to use just in case (perhaps a long shot but it happens) there is a loss in power.

I have tendency to wake up at the first sign of light and some of the deepest most refreshing sleeps I have had was when I was in an inside cabin. I actually slept in.

I am not sure about the stuffiness issue as the air conditioner doesn't have to fight against the heat coming in from the the balcony door/windows when you are in an inside cabin

We too love to sleep in inside cabins. We've had balcony cabins on our last two cruises and I have been up at 5:00am every morning (we have insides booked for our next two cruises). One tip I have for an inside cabin. We have a very small travel alarm clock that with just a touch lights up. It is very handy to have when I wake up and I'm not sure what time it is, I can just light it up (soft light) and check vs having to turn on a light (and wake DH up at 2:00 am or something).

Have a great time!!!!

Tammy

We've been in several inside..including the Diamond. Biggest tip I can think of is, set an alarm or wake up call (we use the ship's) BEFORE you nap or sleep, or you will oversleep. There is no nautral light to trigger your body to wake up.

On the Diamond, they are not that small. The Sun class are clausterphobic..but we do those too, to save money. If you enjoy hanging out in your room, eating, watching movies, reading, then I highly recommend springing for a balcony. But if you only plan to sleep there, go for it, I'll bet it will be just fine.

An inside cabin is still better than sitting at my desk tapping away at the keys! You will be fine. Will it be perfect? You know I've cruised with and without a window and in the end it's all wonderful and that's perfect to me. Of course I am a glass mostly full type. :)

I have had both inside and outside. I like the inside because you don't wake up at first light. Especially if you are cruising where it is light for several hour a day like in the Baltics or the far Northern parts. I left the bathroom light on with the door ajar. I would rather spend my extra money on tours. Of course I may try an balcony next time. I am never in the room much.

Have used inside and spend little time there so it does not matter. Bring a short extensions cord, some are only 2 feet long, some shorter, and you can plug a nightlight into that plus chargers, etc. If you forget the night light then you can leave the bathroom light on and shut the door almost all the way. Since the bathroom door opens outward, I put a suitcase in place to keep it from swinging all the way open, put magazines or a towel in place so it won't go all the way shut. There is usually a little light coming under the hallway door so you can see where that is. I don't think of the room as being pitch black, if I remember correctly there is some visability once you eyes have gotten used to the dimness.

Inside cabins are fine. Think of all the money you're saving. What we saved on an inside room we applied to another cruise. Ask yourself...How much time do you actually spend in the room? What we save on an inside room can almost pay for one of us to go again. Once you have this addiction...it is very difficult to stop! Enjoy your cruise. ;)

We've been inside, outside, balcony. All three are great. I especially like the inside as the first sign of light wakes me and when you get to bed its late so that leaves not much sleep. When you go to the movie theatre and first walk in. Your eyes take time to adjust to the darkness. Yesterday i nearly sat on some guys lap even after a few min. I usually leave the bathroom door slightly ajar. When i leave my room i leave the light on. My stewards usually follow what i do. As for stuffy. Try leaving the air conditioning on. You may need an additional blanket but I doubt it. I use my car air conditioning all year as I have problems breathing. I have not had these problems with the inside cabin. Some cabins are a little smaller that others but like everything else you manage to adjust. The extra money saved does wonders when you hit port. Or like others said, put towards another cruise. Just remember, HAVE FUN, ENJOY YOURSELF AND RELAX.

Our last cruise was with an inside cabin and we were pleasantly surprised. We were on the Sea Princess and had plenty of room and never had any panic episodes during the entire trip. We used the tv as our porthole. It works well and as others have mentioned, it is nice and dark for good sleep. We had some light coming in under the door.

Try it...you'll like it!

I have been in inside cabins probably six times--and I second the opinion that you're not in there much. They are wonderfully dark, great for sleeping--and not at all stuffy, the air conditioning works well. You can also turn on the TV on the station that shows the bridgecam, with the sound off, and then you can see the outside when you wake up. I also leave the light on in the bathroom and leave the door slightly ajar.

Inside cabins are great, though--and you can really save a bunch of money--enough for another cruise!

doodie:)

As lots have commented sleeping in an inside cabin is great! We, too, have had all types and we are just as good with an inside as any other...now, my cousin, on the other hand, might choose a balcony or at least a outside cabin his next time. He and his wife slept thru Cozmel on our last cruise. Woke up at 6:00..pm. Asked the steward if they could get coffee that early. She said he had a really funny look on his face and explained that dinner was being served. They even missed dinner 'cause they weren't dressed in time!:D

Archived