14 day cruise

Eddie4Paws

Hi. I'm considering a 14 day Grand Caribbean Islander cruise and have a few questions for anyone that has been on a 14 day heavenly vacation.

Does the entertainment vary each night, or are there repeat performances/performers? Same question for dining...does the menu vary for 14 nights, or after 7 days, does it just start again with the same menu as the last week? (Hoping for 2 lobster nights! LOL!)

Also, does anyone know if the oceanview cabin window opens? I don't think it does, but I'm not certain. My cousin has extreme chemical sensitivity and many smells make her very ill. On the cruise we're looking to book, there are no more balcony cabins left.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and happy cruising!

Julie

It's been several years since I did a 14 day cruise but to the best of my sad memory, the food does repeat some. But I don't remember 2 lobster nights. We were on a Celebrity ship so that might make a difference. The entertainment changed. They got on and off the ship at different ports. The windows do not open. So if you want fresh air I'd go for a balcony, which by the way is GREAT. And this is just my opinion I'm sure lots of people will feel differently, but I thought that 14 days was too long. I LOVE 10 days. Just something to think about.

We didn't think 14 nights as being too long! the entertainment does have "encore" presentaions but not all of them. The menu changed each night on our two 14 night trips. I have allergies to chemicals/spray/perfumes etc, so i just ask the cabin steward to not use them-I will allow bleach-after all they do have to sanitize! And finally, no, ocean view windows do not open.

I have done 3 cruises of 14-days or longer: on two on RCCL and one on Princess. None of them have the menus in the dining room or the shows repeated. Actually I have seen a few menu items on the menus of the longer cruises that I have never seen on a regular 7 - 10 day cruise. (Some good, some not-so-good.)

The longer cruises are great because you really get some time to get to know your fellow passengers and the cruise staff. They also tend to have a lot more frequent cruisers who can also offer advice or trade stories with you. If you decide to take it you will have a wonderful time!

I've taken several 14+ cruises and while you might occasionally see a similar entree, I don't remember seeing menu repeats. Some of the entertainers have a 2nd show but it's not a repeat of the 1st show.

I love the longer cruises -- more sea days and lots of time to meet and get to know people.

We are doing the 14 day Grand Caribbean next October and I can't wait. After going on our first 15 day cruise last year, a 7 day cruise isn't long enough for us. We did have different dinner every night except I think we had the lobster for two nights. I'll have to check with DH. We didn't go to the entertainment because we were pretty tired.

Don't know if you have to go on Princess, but we were on HAL's MS Amterdam, did not have a balcony only an outside room and our window would open up. It was like a casement window in that it slide down to open.

Hope you decide to book this cruise. We have and are very excited because there are many ports that will be new to us.

We did the 15 day Hawaii cruise on the Island this past January, and found that the menus varied, there were 2 lobster nights, and the entertainment was also varied. No boredom in either the food or entertainment areas.

If you decide to book it, there is a RollCall for it - not much in the way of responses yet, but we are hoping to hear from some others who will be on it.

Thank you all for your responses. Two nights of lobster tail!! I didn't think the oceanview cabin windows opened, but thank you for verifying that. Since there are no balcony cabins left on this cruise, we may book another date so my cousin can get fresh air into her cabin.

Thank you again!

Julie

I think the answer for food and entertainment probably depends upon whether you are doing a long cruise that does not come back to port and get new passengers. A Southern Caribbean trip, for instance, might be a long cruise that does not return to the original port until the end of the cruise. I would expect food and entertainment would not repeat very often on that cruise( but my experience on a 12 day Brilliance of the Sea cruise found a hundred ways the chef could use duck!).

On a cruise that returns at the end of 7 days and gets more passengers, such as in a Western Caribbean, return to FLL, then go to Eastern Caribbean, I would expect a full repeat of food and entertainment the second week. Just gives you a chance to try all the things you missed the first week!!!

We did a back-to-back (two 7-nt) cruise last Nov. on HAL Westerdam, and we very much enjoyed having same menu both weeks!! Usually each night there was at least 2 entrees, soups, appetizers, deserts, etc. that we were interested in ordering, so having the opportunity to order each during 2 wks was great. Also if we found an item we really liked we could have it again in the 2nd wk. Think about your favorite land restaurant, where often you have a favorite food item or two. and you have probably ordered it more than once!!!

Also being able to see & enjoy same entertainment twice was also a real plus!!

Archived